2021 Kia K5 1.6L Turbo Amsoil SS 5w30 UOA

Please with the not wear assessment tool bs... he the
UOAs are not a wear assessment tool, and certainly not when flopping brands and chemistries back to back. What do you posit the OP would see that’s materially different?
Nothing wrong with 'flopping' chemistries, probably not too drastic within a brand. All it is is an increase in HTHS that I'd wager this 'brand' needs. Flopping is just fine whenever as often as anybody wants. Only issue is some labs are useless.
And, if 'wear' metals were 1000ppm+, we'd all just say, move along, nothing to see here, since its not a wear assessment tool, nothing to worry about. That blanket statement is foolish. It can be when used as such. Really are NO blanket statements with data that can be interpreted by too many all differently.

Please with the not wear assessment tool bs... he the

Nothing wrong with 'flopping' chemistries, probably not too drastic within a brand. All it is is an increase in HTHS that I'd wager this 'brand' needs. Flopping is just fine whenever as often as anybody wants. Only issue is some labs are useless.
And, if 'wear' metals were 1000ppm+, we'd all just say, move along, nothing to see here, since its not a wear assessment tool, nothing to worry about. That blanket statement is foolish. It can be when used as such. Really are NO blanket statements with data that can be interpreted by too many all differently.
UOAs are not a wear assessment. As an individual engine evaluation, they're valid for viscosity, TBN/TAN, dirt ingestion, and impending/current massive failures. The trend is what's valuable, not the individual UOA. I'm all on board with the thicker viscosity and/or shorter runs to deal with TGDI dilution, or going with something tailor-made. Amsoil SS is a great oil, and OP will be well served by it.

I agree he should get 2-3 UOAs in a row, maybe increasing mileage by 1k miles each to see where the oil begins to be overwhelmed. Since he's using a 30wt and the engine calls for a 20wt, IMO going a little out of spec due to dilution is fine. I'd personally change it once the viscosity gets into the mid-8s or dilution gets 3% or more.

GC for fuel is better, I wish Ryan @ Blackstone would invest in it; maybe their recent price hike to $35 is to fund a GC machine? Who knows.

Back