2016 Volvo V60 - dealer put used oil back in the car

Yes, mostly by people who are new to Volvo (did you miss that part of my post or are you conveniently ignoring it?).
Not surprising, they all look amazing.
Heck, if I didn't know better, I'd rush out to buy one too!

Considering your such a Volvo cheerleader, I'm still wondering why you won't buy a SPA model.
You still haven't given us a clear reason.
:rolleyes:
I wasn’t ever asked for a clear reason, by you, or anyone else, and it wasn’t requested in this thread or any other, so saying that I still haven’t given you one is simply baiting. Or ignorance. I’ve talked about nearly buying an XC90 last year in other threads. Plug in hybrid. Every option. HUD, Bowers & Wilkerson sound system. Dark blue with a cream interior. Really liked it. Wife really liked it.

Drove it. Talked price, looked at terms of a lease, just to know. Would have written a check, though, as the lease terms weren’t favorable. Sticker was $88,000, we were talking a bit less than that.

Decided that it would be more fun to pick it up in Sweden later this year, or perhaps next. You can save quite a bit off sticker by buying one over there, and they cover round trip air fare, a night at a hotel in Gothenburg, factory tour, three weeks overseas registration and insurance, and you drop it off at the port of your convenience, which could include Gothenburg, and they ship it back. It’s a great deal, and you wrap in a couple weeks vacation in Scandinavia.

I would not buy an SPA made in 2016, however. The OP is not alone.

Last edited:
But you are correct, the word "IF" is a big word. Why even leave it to an owner to wonder? Because I've been a DIY for most of my life I have a good amount of car guys that did/do the same. I have yet to find one that would be ok with a dealer replacing used oil. One or two said, maybe - yeah if I saw the drip pan, was it thoroughly cleaned before the process, then they might be ok. The vast majority said no-way.

The only time I use the Volvo dealer is when the possibility exists that VIDA is needed or a warranty issue. Other than that it is always, always an indy shop. One of the guys that used to be part of the car guys at coffee shop was a retired service manager. He always said, the life blood, what kept the lights on was the service department. He's been dead for years now or I'd ask him what he thought of re-using oil. He had no problem telling all the crap that took place behind the curtain. Why should he have care, he was retired.

The current service manager at the Volvo dealer is a straight up guy and I bet ya if I told him what happened he would not be happy about it. But it was done, can't go backward and since my plan is to not own this car long term, I just don't care to get into it with the dealer.

One thing that confuses me is that someone posted who paid for the service? That as though good service, good protocol is dependent upon the question of did Volvo pay or did I pay. So is the take-away, if Volvo paid, cutting corners can be expected?????
No, it’s simple - if you paid, you should have understood what you were getting.

If they paid, they provided the service required by the factory.

So, in the former case, it’s on you.

In the latter, then they followed procedure.

In re-reading your posts, this oil in there now has 1,050 miles on it. So, they paid, and you got new oil. Seems like you made out on this. In fact, in another 9,000 miles, you could change the filter only, ask for another consumption test and they’ll fill it with new oil for you. For free. As part of the test.

You expected them to dump oil with 1,050 miles? Why? Your fear of their drain pan? You should have specified that you wanted new oil, and brought your own, or paid for their oil.

Look, I have had issues with service departments, Volvo, Mercedes, and Toyota, in the past couple years. I’ve always been able to reach an understanding between my expectations and their performance. Engaging with them, personally, on this topic, in a respectful manner, would be my recommendation. Might take a while. Might need to escalate.

Fanning the flames of outrage on the internet won’t get your Volvo fixed.

And that is the goal, here, isn’t it?

Last edited:
Worst part is the tech in the next bay was using scotch brite abrasive wheels on an aluminum block right next to the drain pan and funnel. Don’t laugh I’ve seen it done….

I’ve also seen the floors being swept next to a disassembled engine.

Last edited:
Worst part is the tech in the next bay was using scotch brite abrasive wheels on an aluminum block right next to the drain pan and funnel. Don’t laugh I’ve seen it done….

I’ve seen evidence of the same. My case was an example of the dealer failing to meet my expectations, of my persistence, and of them agreeing to pay for oil analysis, and agreeing to warranty the engine.

Not all shops, and not all techs, meet my expectations.

I offer two ways to deal with that:

1. Do all your own work.
2. Buy a new car. Pay cash. Drive it for ten years. Trade it in on another new car before serious work is needed.

I’ve chosen option 1. That’s why my wife’s XC has nearly 300,000 miles on it, and runs perfectly. This is a 297,000 mile car as shown a few months ago. Just crossed 299,000 this week.

But I am going to choose option 2 for my wife’s next car. More time enjoying life, less time turning wrenches.

IMG_2487.jpeg

I’ve seen evidence of the same. My case was an example of the dealer failing to meet my expectations, of my persistence, and of them agreeing to pay for oil analysis, and agreeing to warranty the engine.

1. Do all your own work.
2. Buy a new car. Pay cash. Drive it for ten years. Trade it in on another new car before serious work is needed.

I’ve chosen option 1. That’s why my wife’s XC has nearly 300,000 miles on it, and runs perfectly. This is a 297,000 mile car as shown a few months ago. Just crossed 299,000 this week.

But I am going to choose option 2 for my wife’s next car. More time enjoying life, less time turning wrenches.

View attachment 212408
Beautiful car!! I’ve owned several P2’s, 850’s, and 240’s over the years. I prefer anything 2006 and earlier. I read your going to Sweden to get your next? They still offer the Ocean Race edition?

Thanks. It is a good car. It is still driven daily. I own 5 P2 Volvos, though, technically, I signed over the title to two of them.

I don’t want to hijack the OP’s thread, but this happened to my V70R last fall. I wasn’t happy. @wwillson was a huge help in taking care of things.

Beautiful car!! I’ve owned several P2’s, 850’s, and 240’s over the years. I prefer anything 2006 and earlier. I read your going to Sweden to get your next? They still offer the Ocean Race edition?
Here is that car, in a thread full of wagons:

Post in thread 'Wagon superiority thread'
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/wagon-superiority-thread.330650/post-6717580

1. Do all your own work.

View attachment 212408
For the bickering :) discussions we've been doing kudos on that car. Nice looking and like the color.

Reading your "What the technician did: He used an abrasive power wheel to clean the mating surfaces of the block and sump. " is why I have no idea what their drip pan looked like was it clean or dirty. And yes, I agree the debris was shocking!!!!

BTW the bickering part is in jest --- had to clear that up because some people get real serious on forums. Had one Volvo sales guy stalk me, found out the city I lived in, the dealer, etc. I don't use my name or places I live so the guy had to go to great lengths to search me out. And because he worked at the same dealer franchise, he had access to my personal information. Because of his zeal in finding me, I had a discussion with the dealer about it. Manager said I wasn't the first to give the same report about the guy. Clearly the dealers cyber insurer would not be happy with personal information going out over the internet.

Last edited:
For the bickering :) discussions we've been doing kudos on that car. Nice looking and like the color.

Reading your "What the technician did: He used an abrasive power wheel to clean the mating surfaces of the block and sump. " is why I have no idea what their drip pan looked like was it clean or dirty. And yes, I agree the debris was shocking!!!!

BTW the bickering part is in jest --- had to clear that up because some people get real serious on forums. Had one Volvo sales guy stalk me, found out the city I lived in, the dealer, etc. I don't use my name or places I live so the guy had to go to great lengths to search me out. And because he worked at the same dealer franchise, he had access to my personal information. Because of his zeal in finding me, I had a discussion with the dealer about it. Manager said I wasn't the first to give the same report about the guy. Clearly the dealers cyber insurer would not be happy with personal information going out over the internet.
It honestly wasn’t my intention to bicker, it was merely to discuss. I’m sorry if I missed that mark. If I thought you had a case against the dealer, I would’ve told you how to proceed, but I genuinely don’t think you have a case for them reusing the oil as being somehow injurious to either you or your car.

I understand your frustration, though, I genuinely do.

The level of expertise demonstrated by Volvo technicians has changed dramatically in my 31 years of Volvo ownership. They were once quite good, reasonably priced, and I trusted them. That isn’t always the case, anymore, and if you read through that very lengthy thread on my V70R, you’ll see how I experienced frustration similar to your own.

That’s why, unless it’s something I simply can’t do, I do all the work myself. I even have an EPA license to buy refrigerant and service automotive AC systems. State inspections, recalls, bodywork, and alignments are about all I will let a dealer do to my car, and, even then, I have an alignment guy that I like better than any dealer, but he is booked out three weeks in advance most of the time. Shows you what a good technician is worth in the eye of the public.

I think the issue for this 2016, is the long-term viability of an oil burner. As long as you check it often, then I think you can run this car for a while. I would consider simply getting another car, if that’s within your financial means. You stated your wife is going through some health trouble, mine has been through similar, and if this 2016 Volvo is uncomfortable for her, then that, coupled with the oil burning, would compel me to look at a different car.

My wife is on crutches at the moment, and she finds that her 2002 wagon is perfect. My truck is too tall to get in and out of comfortably, her Mercedes roadster is too low to get in and out of comfortably. The back of that wagon handles her scooter and crutches with ease, and the roof rack makes for a good grab handle as she maneuvers around the car. It is practical, comfortable, reliable, safe and durable.

I am sorry that your Volvo doesn’t meet that standard, particularly if your wife finds it uncomfortable.

I was, for the record, very, very impressed with the 2023 XC 90 plug in hybrid that we drove last year. it was practical, it was comfortable, it was also luxurious, and it was also a very nice looking car. I’m not certain how well the hybrid powertrain will hold up. That’s why I am considering option two from my previous post, in which I buy a new car, pay cash, drive it 10 years, and trade it in. Before serious issues arise (hopefully).

Let’s look at the math for a second. Let’s say I spend $85,000 on the car. I drive it for 10 years. 120 months - then I trade it in for, say $25,000. That is about what a 10-year-old XC 90 goes for these days, so my math isn’t too far off…

I eat $60,000 in depreciation, over 120 months. $500/month. Less than a payment that most people are making on a new car. She gets a nice new car, and I don’t worry about her.

So, yeah, I’m considering a new Volvo. We also drove the Chevy suburban, which she found too big, but was similarly priced, and the similarly priced Mercedes GL450. All nice cars, but also, so complex that I don’t know that I want to be an owner when it hits 10 years old and the parts support starts to dry up and I have to turn it over to some of the baboons that substitute for technicians these days.

Back to your situation.

If Volvo determined that the oil consumption is not “excessive“, then you really have two choices; keep feeding it oil, or trade it in. I lean towards the trade in, even though I have, for the last 40+ years, fixed every problem with every car I’ve owned.

If Volvo determines that the oil consumption is “excessive“, then I would let them replace the engine and see what you got when they’re done.

It honestly wasn’t my intention to bicker, it was merely to discuss. I’m sorry if I missed that mark. If I thought you had a case against the dealer, I would’ve told you how to proceed, but I genuinely don’t think you have a case for them reusing the oil as being somehow injurious to either you or your car.

The level of expertise demonstrated by Volvo technicians has changed dramatically in my 31 years of Volvo ownership. They were once quite good, reasonably priced, and I trusted them. That isn’t always the case, anymore, and if you read through that very lengthy thread on my V70R, you’ll see how I experienced frustration similar to your own.

That’s why, unless it’s something I simply can’t do, I do all the work myself. I even have an EPA license to buy refrigerant and service automotive AC systems. State inspections, recalls, bodywork, and alignments are about all I will let a dealer do to my car, and, even then, I have an alignment guy that I like better than any dealer, but he is booked out three weeks in advance most of the time. Shows you what a good technician is worth in the eye of the public.

I think the issue for this 2016, is the long-term viability of an oil burner. As long as you check it often, then I think you can run this car for a while. I would consider simply getting another car, if that’s within your financial means. You stated your wife is going through some health trouble, mine has been through similar, and if this 2016 Volvo is uncomfortable for her, then that, coupled with the oil burning, would compel me to look at a different car.

My wife is on crutches at the moment, and she finds that her 2002 wagon is perfect. My truck is too tall to get in and out of comfortably, her Mercedes roadster is too low to get in and out of comfortably. The back of that wagon handles her scooter and crutches with ease, and the roof rack makes for a good grab handle as she maneuvers around the car. It is practical, comfortable, reliable, safe and durable.

I am sorry that your Volvo doesn’t meet that standard, particularly if your wife finds it uncomfortable.

I was, for the record, very, very impressed with the 2023 XC 90 plug in hybrid that we drove last year. it was practical, it was comfortable, it was also luxurious, and it was also a very nice looking car. I’m not certain how well the hybrid powertrain will hold up. That’s why I am considering option two from my previous post, in which I buy a new car, pay cash, drive it 10 years, and trade it in. Before serious issues arise (hopefully).

Let’s look at the math for a second. Let’s say I spend $85,000 on the car. I drive it for 10 years. 120 months - then I trade it in for, say $25,000. That is about what a 10-year-old XC 90 goes for these days, so my math isn’t too far off…

I eat $60,000 in depreciation, over 120 months. $500/month. Less than a payment that most people are making on a new car. She gets a nice new car, and I don’t worry about her.

So, yeah, I’m considering a new Volvo. We also drove the Chevy suburban, which she found too big, but was similarly priced, and the similarly priced Mercedes GL450. All nice cars, but also, so complex that I don’t know that I want to be an owner when it hits 10 years old and the parts support starts to dry up and I have to turn it over to some of the baboons that substitute for technicians these days.

Back to your situation.

If Volvo determined that the oil consumption is not “excessive“, then you really have two choices; keep feeding it oil, or trade it in. I lean towards the trade in, even though I have, for the last 40+ years, fixed every problem with every car I’ve owned.

If Volvo determines that the oil consumption is “excessive“, then I would let them replace the engine and see what you got when they’re done.
Vehicle entry is something folks love about SUV’s - I’m reminded every time my rental is a car …
And it’s not just height - my Rubicon is easier to slip in than our Tahoe bcs it just suffers “bigness” (is that a word) …

I worked at a place, and when we did warranty work that did not cause any pollution to the oil it went back in, unless the owner specified new oil. This was on big truck engines. Yeah black crappy oil. Floored me the first time I had to do it. The drain pans were cleaned very well and covered.

Back to your situation.

Thanks for your post. I wasn't looking to find any way to find them liable or prove that there was any tort in this matter. I was just venting a bit and wanted to see if I was off base with expecting new oil, not used oil. Now I get where you were coming from on this issue.

I 100% agree with you, I lean toward the trade-in.

I was on line shopping today and do really want to get out from under this car. Some of the ride is because of our really bad, bad roads and the low profile tires. The service manager at the dealer says about the low profile tires is that Volvo has chosen form over function. Looks beats comfort. He said I wouldn't believe how many cars come into the shop with rim problems with low profile tires. When I'm looking at cars, it seems like more and more cars have low profile tires. Hey I'm in my 70's and although I enjoy the corning on those low profile tires, I really don't do it much nor do I need to do it. I need comfort. My motorcycle days have passed me by.

This is my 4th Volvo and the V50 and S60 were bullet proof but much older cars. The P544 that I bought in the 1960's was another matter, it was a big oil burner. But hey, it was a fun car and I was a lot younger.

I bring these problems to the front for other people who may not know anything about cars and to be aware of what can happen in the dealers garage.

Reading your post shows that what they did to you was not right. I always use the razor blade method.

I wasn’t ever asked for a clear reason, by you, or anyone else, and it wasn’t requested in this thread or any other, so saying that I still haven’t given you one is simply baiting. Or ignorance. I’ve talked about nearly buying an XC90 last year in other threads. Plug in hybrid. Every option. HUD, Bowers & Wilkerson sound system. Dark blue with a cream interior. Really liked it. Wife really liked it.

Drove it. Talked price, looked at terms of a lease, just to know. Would have written a check, though, as the lease terms weren’t favorable. Sticker was $88,000, we were talking a bit less than that.

Decided that it would be more fun to pick it up in Sweden later this year, or perhaps next. You can save quite a bit off sticker by buying one over there, and they cover round trip air fare, a night at a hotel in Gothenburg, factory tour, three weeks overseas registration and insurance, and you drop it off at the port of your convenience, which could include Gothenburg, and they ship it back. It’s a great deal, and you wrap in a couple weeks vacation in Scandinavia.

I would not buy an SPA made in 2016, however. The OP is not alone.

If you pull the trigger on one, I'm interested to hear how you like it and how it compares to your current fleet.

Why would they drain it to check the oil level in the first place? Break seal on dipstick and check oil level as usual.

Paco

I have done that. I was the shop rat when I was a kid I didn't get to leave until the floors were swept, varsoled, and hosed down. Owner wanted the place spotless every night. That was my job. Open engines (or transmissions) on a stand - not my problem. I was told not to touch that stuff.

Call it a management failure if you want. I made minimum wage. And it was a great job - I learned much.

In the shops I worked in, used good oil was refilled after draining. I never liked doing it. I began straining mine with a coffee filter before putting it back in. I couldn’t bear it otherwise. I once showed the now dirty filter ( from the clean drain pan) to the guy in charge and he just shrugged. It was just what everyone did. I didn’t want a call back, so the extra time seemed worth it.

Why would they drain it to check the oil level in the first place? Break seal on dipstick and check oil level as usual.

Paco
Level varies with temperature. Weight does not.

They're looking for a precise measure of consumption.

In the shops I worked in, used good oil was refilled after draining. I never liked doing it. I began straining mine with a coffee filter before putting it back in. I couldn’t bear it otherwise. I once showed the now dirty filter ( from the clean drain pan) to the guy in charge and he just shrugged. It was just what everyone did. I didn’t want a call back, so the extra time seemed worth it.
I used Mobil 2 many times. Never an issue...

I'm not even a tech/mechanic and this just screams lack of common sense by whomever ordered it done!

Back