2016 Toyota Tacoma 2.7L supertech

Originally Posted by Amkeer
Too much wear happens with frequent changes.

Umm, am I reading this right? "Too much wear happens with frequent changes."
Am I missing something?

Metals increase at initial fill and taper off during the miles. More frequent changes equals more metals. I don't know why this is as we can all speculate.

[Linked Image]

Here is my 2.7 liter Tacoma with 218,000 miles running 5w30 at 10,000 mile intervals. The oil consumption is less the than a 1/4 of a quart is a 10,000 mile run. What this tells me is that this engine doesn't get dirty and doesn't have excess wear. Do all engines do this? Who knows.

[Linked Image]

Here is my 2.7 liter Tacoma with 218,000 miles running 5w30 at 10,000 mile intervals. The oil consumption is less the than a 1/4 of a quart is a 10,000 mile run. What this tells me is that this engine doesn't get dirty and doesn't have excess wear. Do all engines do this? Who knows.

Kudos to you sir. What brand of oil do you use?

[Linked Image]

We all know all most none of them do. But today companies can build cars like this if they want to.

Is this SN plus oil or older stock?
Very low wear material in the oil.
I gotta ask did you warm the engine than drain shortly after and sample somewhere in the middle of the drain.
I dont think you could pick a better oil for this truck

Originally Posted by 2000Trooper
Toyota specs 0w20, but after getting a new short block under warranty I've been using 5w30.

sorry to hear, any idea why the first one let go...spun bearing or something similar? obviously you drive your truck pretty hard but that engine should be able to take it.

Originally Posted by tblt44
Is this SN plus oil or older stock?
Very low wear material in the oil.
I gotta ask did you warm the engine than drain shortly after and sample somewhere in the middle of the drain.
I dont think you could pick a better oil for this truck

New stuff, sn plus
I drove ~25 miles home from work, and took the sample maybe 5-8 seconds after it started draining. I tried following Blackstone's directions although there's no exact science to it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ScottyB
Toyota specs 0w20, but after getting a new short block under warranty I've been using 5w30.

sorry to hear, any idea why the first one let go...spun bearing or something similar? obviously you drive your truck pretty hard but that engine should be able to take it.

Main crank bearings wore out.

Originally Posted by AJB0009

Am I missing something?

Here is a link one of the many discussions on it - https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4918316

Without the engine being completely flushed to remove contaminants between tests, it hardly seems like a controlled experiment especially since there is likely enough residual oil in the engine to influence the readings of the start of the next OC. I believe that member Ed Hackett posted something to that effect some years ago when this was initially discussed. Taken to the extreme, the argument could be that you would wear out your engine faster with more frequent oil changes versus longer ones. Put me firmly in the "only on fantasy island" camp.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD

Am I missing something?

Here is a link one of the many discussions on it - https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4918316

Without the engine being completely flushed to remove contaminants between tests, it hardly seems like a controlled experiment especially since there is likely enough residual oil in the engine to influence the readings of the start of the next OC. I believe that member Ed Hackett posted something to that effect some years ago when this was initially discussed. Taken to the extreme, the argument could be that you would wear out your engine faster with more frequent oil changes versus longer ones. Put me firmly in the "only on fantasy island" camp.

We don't really know do we? All we can do is go by real world results and UOA posted on this site. I have studied enough about oils on this site the past 17 years to give me a basic understanding. The changes before BITOG I did 3000 mile intervals and any more the engine would wear out. Now I have been running 10,000 mile intervals with no adverse results.

"With no adverse results"??
My dad bought one of the first Ford Rangers ever made. I don't remember the serial number, but it was built in April of 1982 for a 1983 model year. It was a 2.3L with a four speed manual trans and a one barrel carburetor. He changed the oil every 2k miles with Valvoline conventional 5W30 and a MC FL-1A filter. It had 188k miles on it and didn't burn or leak a drop of oil The clutch blew out and it wasn't worth fixing because the rust was so bad (Wisconsin).
I really think that I am an open minded person and try to be open to new ideas. I want to learn and understand new things all of the time.
But no matter which way I come at this, I can not find any logic.
The only thing (and it's a small thing) would be the initial start up after a change; if the oil filter is empty and all of the oil run out of the pump. You will get some metal on metal for a couple seconds there maybe. I am fortunate that I can fill the oil filter on all my vehicles when I install it (except the Corolla, cartridge type).

"With no adverse results"??
My dad bought one of the first Ford Rangers ever made. I don't remember the serial number, but it was built in April of 1982 for a 1983 model year. It was a 2.3L with a four speed manual trans and a one barrel carburetor. He changed the oil every 2k miles with Valvoline conventional 5W30 and a MC FL-1A filter. It had 188k miles on it and didn't burn or leak a drop of oil The clutch blew out and it wasn't worth fixing because the rust was so bad (Wisconsin).
I really think that I am an open minded person and try to be open to new ideas. I want to learn and understand new things all of the time.
But no matter which way I come at this, I can not find any logic.
The only thing (and it's a small thing) would be the initial start up after a change; if the oil filter is empty and all of the oil run out of the pump. You will get some metal on metal for a couple seconds there maybe. I am fortunate that I can fill the oil filter on all my vehicles when I install it (except the Corolla, cartridge type).
There is some oil left on the parts.

I'm also a Toyota 2.7L owner and at 260k it is still showing fantastic wear metals. I also subscribe to 5k intervals with filter change at 10k. Zero oil consumption. If I hated changing out I'd probably push it out to 10k but I don't want to miss out on all the fun
smile.gif

Sounds like a great motor that will last and last.

Concerning the 2.7L and the manual transmission:

Is the Taco's 2.7L 4-cyl terribly underpowered, or does it hold its own?

Can you adequately merge onto and pass highway traffic between 65 and 75 mph?

Really want to know. Thanks!

Back