2018 Toyota Tacoma 2GR-FKS, Castrol Edge EP 5W-30, 6,111 OCI

With D-4S on your V6, my recommendation would be HPL 10W20, durable OF and one year OCI, probobly in the Spring. Keep it simple and methodical.

Total metals went down from 2.29ppm per 1000 miles to 2.0ppm per 1000 miles. Not bad! But honestly, within margin of error. Both runs were good.

To add, my MPG has gone down some (about 2mpg) with the 0W-40. Thicker rear diff fluid may also be playing a part since I changed that at the same time as the engine oil.

Shearing is down considerably with these-2 name brands (5w30 SP / GF6), versus the SN+ UOAs of 2019-2022.
I'm guessing the timing belt is a happy camper too.
Curious.... how many quarts does this 3.5 V6 hold?

Shearing is down considerably with these-2 name brands (5w30 SP / GF6), versus the SN+ UOAs of 2019-2022.
One cannot distinguish between mechanical shearing of the VII and fuel dilution in a Blackstone analysis.

6.2qts but I only pour 6.

Last edited:
Latest sample. I forgot to take a sample from the drain plug so I sampled while draining the oil filter housing. This run is with the newest M1 0W-40 that has the LL-01 approval. I went back to M1 5W-30 since gas mileage did suffer some. I think its a happy medium between the 0W-20 and 0W-40. Iron also went up this run.
1708268822108.jpg

Latest report. Trying to get a good trend going. Sample taken cold. Fe dropped quite a bit which is good. This is with standard M1 5W-30. I switched M1 0W-40 FS for S&G from this change and will do another analysis. I may switch back depending on how it goes.

View attachment 173788
You’re getting fuel dilution. The higher viscosity is a good idea, given your particular circumstances.

You’re getting fuel dilution. The higher viscosity is a good idea, given your particular circumstances.
I sampled cold which I think is the fuel dilution issue. I drive 90% highway about 35 miles each way to work so not sure what else could cause it other than the cold sampling.

I sampled cold which I think is the fuel dilution issue. I drive 90% highway about 35 miles each way to work so not sure what else could cause it other than the cold sampling.
I see evidence for fuel dilution in almost every sample. Look at the low viscosity and flash point numbers across the board.

I see evidence for fuel dilution in almost every sample. Look at the low viscosity and flash point numbers across the board.
The last few samples were taken cold. What else could cause the issue? I don't idle very much. My only thought is fuel getting in the oil the few minutes it takes the pull the Taco into the garage while its cold.

The last few samples were taken cold. What else could cause the issue? I don't idle very much. My only thought is fuel getting in the oil the few minutes it takes the pull the Taco into the garage while its cold.
Direct injection engines are prone to it. How frequently do you take long highway trips? If you don’t do a good long highway jaunt that frequently, you’re probably going to have fuel in your oil.

Probably this. My usual process when I know I'm going to take a sample is to have the ramps in place, then go for a ~30 mile drive, no stops, then when I get back home, drive right up the ramps. Shut the engine off, then drain and sample.

Back