2016 Honda Civic with 375,000 miles, 1.5T engine - Reddit link

I thought we might be interested in this Reddit post/discussion. 2016 Honda Civic CVT with 1.5 turbo engine (fuel dilution candidate) with 375,000 miles. Seems to follow the Maintenance Minder intervals and whatever oil the dealer uses. Said they drive 4000 miles a month.

Talk amongst yourselves.

I was curious and did a quick search for HG and only returned one.

1690932465562.png

Last edited:
I thought we might be interested in this Reddit post/discussion. 2016 Honda Civic CVT with 1.5 turbo engine (fuel dilution candidate) with 375,000 miles. Seems to follow the Maintenance Minder intervals and whatever oil the dealer uses. Said they drive 4000 miles a month.

Talk amongst yourselves.

Easy Highway Miles.

Not surprised. As a 1.5T and 2.0T owner, the engine will run for a long time if you are mostly doing highway miles. He is averaging 41MPG.

For Reference, from the EPA: https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=37284 : 41MPG is highway, 31MPG city, with an average of 35, and tested average of 37. My 2018 Camry with the 2.5L is rated 30/40 and I average 37 with 80% ish highway miles. This guy is hyper-miling, and who knows if he took his turbo off for fun /s.

Most of these 1.5T motors fail at the headgasket or the piston due to LSPI, which can increase thanks to fuel dilution as flashpoint of the oil (and contamination with fuel) falls. Most people I have seen and know who have had issues with these turbo honda motors, drive mostly city, where there is a plenty of heat soak, idling, and lugging.

Most of these 1.5T motors fail at the headgasket or the piston due to LSPI, which can increase thanks to fuel dilution as flashpoint of the oil (and contamination with fuel) falls. Most people I have seen and know who have had issues with these turbo honda motors, drive mostly city, where there is a plenty of heat soak, idling, and lugging.

Fuel dilution has no impact on LSPI.
LSPI is a caused by engine tuning in combination with using an oil which has little to no Mg but high in Ca.

If an engine is prone to :LSPI it is best to use an oil which meets API SN+ or API SP.

Fuel dilution has no impact on LSPI.
LSPI is a caused by engine tuning in combination with using an oil which has little to no Mg but high in Ca.

If an engine is prone to :LSPI it is best to use an oil which meets API SN+ or API SP.
Highly recommend you do some reading
All you have to do is get the flashpoint low enough for self ignition. Regardless of engine, this can happen. Basic physics.
Heck, this has been discussed on BITOG before...

Highly recommend you do some reading
All you have to do is get the flashpoint low enough for self ignition. Regardless of engine, this can happen. Basic physics.
Heck, this has been discussed on BITOG before...

Again it's the oil additive composition which is the primary driver. LSPI is the entire reason behind the introduction of API SN+ which was carried over to API SP. You have these gas engines which are tuned to operate like diesels for maximum torque at low rpms.

The BMW N54 (2006-2016) is TGDI and was a fuel dilution monster yet it was fed a steady diet of API SM/SN. No LSPI for that engine because of tuning.

Last edited:
DI engine with high miles isn’t worth analyzing because it “has had an easy life”. DI engine with low miles “hasn’t been driven enough to see the damage”

These guys are sure though, that DI engines and dillution ARE a problem, even though there’s zero evidence. Apparently it takes 200k miles of driving 5k miles a year for dilution to take its toll, for everyone planning to keep their cars for the next 4 decades

Last edited:
Again it's the oil additive composition which is the primary driver. LSPI is the entire reason behind the introduction of API SN+ which was carried over to API SP.
Sure, it probably is, and fuel doesn't burn it turns into magical pixie dust afaik.

Back