Gasoline Direct Injection causes Chain Wear, Fuel Dilution, and Low Speed Pre-ignition (LSPI)?

Great YT video "3 Big Problems With Direct Injection Engines (Gasoline)"

How Gasoline Direct Injection causes Chain Wear, Fuel Dilution, and Low Speed Pre-ignition (LSPI)

Recommendation to use API SP or ILSAC GF-6A rated oils for modern engines.

What do you guys think about using this grade of oil for older cars, say 2009 and earlier?

Recommendation to use API SP or ILSAC GF-6A rated oils for modern engines.

What do you guys think about using this grade of oil for older cars, say 2009 and earlier?
API specified oils are backwards compatible by definition.
Why wouldn't you use a GF-6A in your example?

And the long and short of the entire video is to use the latest API formulation per your OEM recommendation and to change your oil at a reasonable interval.

There is literally nothing to see here.
But if you want to be reactionary and blow things out of proportion, I guess you could go down that road.

Last edited:
I have 2X K24W engines in the garage along with 2X CVT transmission; both cars as they drive right now with my close maintenance and ears for some strange sounds when in motion, both cars are high contenders for 300K miles down the road without exaggerating

Yup, use the specified oil. If that's API SP and GF-6, don't use older specifications.

Last edited:
"oil dilution"
combine this with belt-in-oil and internets are full of belts going brittle, releasing particles...:whistle:
similar engine but efi has this much less common

Also the 5.0 Ford V8 uses a belt drive oil pump. Ugh.

It is easy to believe and even to boldly claim that we are not seeing a high number of failures with these DI engines. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Hyundai/Kia are having early engine failures in the hundreds of thousands. So many that a US government probe has been initiated. They call it an "engine fire risk", when the connecting rod ventilates the crankcase :)

Ford engines are well known for $4000 cam Phaser and Chain issues. While not a failed engine, it certainly rises to the level of a major problem. GM, BMW, and other manufactures also have chain issues.

It really is rare for a modern engine to make 300K miles. Low tension piston rings are part of the issue. Extended oil change intervals are another.

I constantly advise people to change at or before the 5000 mile mark, regardless of oil choice or driving habits. There is a reason manufacturers are going to internal belts, and it has to do with cam timing accuracy and emissions compliance. That alone should speak volumes.

Last edited:
My takeaway on this was the soot in the oil causing timing chain wear in DI engines and that oil filters aren't designed to capture that soot. The only way to eliminate it from the oil is to change it often, which doesn't mean 10K mile OCIs.

You need to test. Without knowing the fuel soot levels you have know way of knowing a safe OCI. The same engine model will sometimes eat the timing chain in 100,000 mi with 5,000 mi OCI while other examples will go 400,000 mi with 10,000 mi OCI. Assuming a lack of manufacturing defects (like improperly hardened parts) fuel soot loading differences are the likely culprit.

Also the 5.0 Ford V8 uses a belt drive oil pump. Ugh.

It is easy to believe and even to boldly claim that we are not seeing a high number of failures with these DI engines. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Hyundai/Kia are having early engine failures in the hundreds of thousands. So many that a US government probe has been initiated. They call it an "engine fire risk", when the connecting rod ventilates the crankcase :)

Ford engines are well known for $4000 cam Phaser and Chain issues. While not a failed engine, it certainly rises to the level of a major problem. GM, BMW, and other manufactures also have chain issues.

It really is rare for a modern engine to make 300K miles. Low tension piston rings are part of the issue. Extended oil change intervals are another.

I constantly advise people to change at or before the 5000 mile mark, regardless of oil choice or driving habits. There is a reason manufacturers are going to internal belts, and it has to do with cam timing accuracy and emissions compliance. That alone should speak volumes.
I believe Hyundai's problems have more to do with manufacturing issue than it does with soot from DI engines. If those 2.4s were port-injected I'm betting they would have the same issues.

I avoid DI because of the intake valve deposits, fuel dilution and I'm paranoid when my oil looks like crap. Not sure if that is a logical reason to avoid it or not but I'm human, I'm not always logical.

I would have preferred that my 2018 Impala was port injected rather than GDI, but wasn’t going to let that one item reduce my model choice significantly. I’ll be conservative with the OCI’s. But then, something else will probably end the car anyway.

Back