Honda Ultimate 0w-20 vs?

Use the Honda filters purchased from a Honda dealership and change oil at 3K if you are wanting to keep this car a looong time. I’d use the Honda oil unless it is way higher than other top grades.

I was a tech at Honda. We did not recommend going past 5,000 miles on oil. All consumers fall under the extreme service. the oil smells of fuel when drained. Honda doesn’t use full synthetic for service. It is Honda branded synthetic blend 0w20 which is made by ConocoPhillips, as is all of Hondas lubricants. There was some customers that provided their own oil which was typically 5w30, or Mobil 1 0w20EP.

I was a tech at Honda. We did not recommend going past 5,000 miles on oil. All consumers fall under the extreme service. the oil smells of fuel when drained. Honda doesn’t use full synthetic for service. It is Honda branded synthetic blend 0w20 which is made by ConocoPhillips, as is all of Hondas lubricants. There was some customers that provided their own oil which was typically 5w30, or Mobil 1 0w20EP.

Few Honda dealers actually use Honda oils. Mine was using Castrol Magnatec for a while, now uses Petro-Canada, with probably a few others in between. Oddly, cost seems to be a consideration…

Use the Honda filters purchased from a Honda dealership and change oil at 3K if you are wanting to keep this car a looong time. I’d use the Honda oil unless it is way higher than other top grades.

If it’s possible to do a “top-side” oil change using an extractor, with a 3k interval no reason a Honda filter couldn’t be left in place for 3 or more oil changes.

This is not true, for Europe transmission oil and engine oil only come from idemitsu. The honda Engine Type 2.0 0W20 was developed purely for Honda.

That’s the only way I change my oil. I have never taken the drain plug out. I have a schwaben oil extractor 6.5 liter. What oil are you using

I have a Honda 2.4 DI engine so fuel dilution isn’t as troublesome as the 1.5T. Since new I’ve been using either Mobil1 or Valvoline full syn with 5k or shorter OCIs. I think I’ve convinced myself oil brand isn’t quite so important and may move to QS full synthetic.

I have a Honda 2.4 DI engine so fuel dilution isn’t as troublesome as the 1.5T. Since new I’ve been using either Mobil1 or Valvoline full syn with 5k or shorter OCIs. I think I’ve convinced myself oil brand isn’t quite so important and may move to QS full synthetic.
Go read some of the post on these forums. Oil brand absolutely makes a difference. I only listen to select people on here when it comes to oil brands, base stock makeup and other info.

Go read some of the post on these forums. Oil brand absolutely makes a difference. I only listen to select people on here when it comes to oil brands, base stock makeup and other info.

Spend some time on BITOG. Consensus is as long as an oil meets specs (e.g. SP, Dexos 1 Gen3). And people frequently misuse used oil analysis results: they really tell the condition of the oil, not the engine.

Spend some time on BITOG. Consensus is as long as an oil meets specs (e.g. SP, Dexos 1 Gen3). And people frequently misuse used oil analysis results: they really tell the condition of the oil, not the engine.
All the reading I do on here, Mobil 1 FS 0w40
and Mobil ESP line is some of the best oil in the world according to the really knowledgable people on here. The Mobil 1 API and ILSAC energy conserving oils are just Ok.

Only being slightly picky here because this is my first new car, 2022 Civic Sport Touring, 1.5L Direct Injected Turbo CVT. I'm not a crazy driver, normally used Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy in my old 2012 Prius just fine. Plan to use the Honda 15400 factory filters either way, but wondering if I should go out of my way to run the Honda Ultimate 0w-20 or stuff like Mobil is close enough not to bother. I drive 10-12000 miles per year, willing to change the oil more often but looking to minimize the inherent issues that these DI Turbo engines can sometimes have (oil dilution, carbon buildup). I was told to look for something with a GF-6 or GF-6a rating, which the Mobil advanced fuel economy does have.
TGMO 0W-20 SP

It is made by ExxonMobil, has high moly (AW/EP/FM), high boron (dispersant), high ZDDP (AW), and polyol ester ((POE) deposit solvent).

Last edited:
I remember not long ago there is a topic on this stuff not being very good. The better oil was Mobil 1 X2 0w20.
You would be paying X2 or X3 for Mobil 1 X2 0W-20 with no scientifically measurable performance difference—X2 indeed.

Moreover, I don't think they have upgraded Mobil 1 X2 0W-20 to API SP yet; so, it does not offer LSPI and timing-chain-wear protection.

Back