2011 Toyota Prius, HPL PCEO 5W20, 4,988 miles

This is @High Performance Lubricants' entry-level PCEO 5W20.

Lots of short trips - most trips are under 5 miles. I doubt the engine oil gets very warm in a hybrid engine used for this type of service. The oil was in use for 10 months. Elevated Silicon is probably from RTV; the timing cover and camshaft housings were resealed 10K ago.

I did not run a VOA of this oil so I am not sure what the baseline oxidation and nitration values should be.

Toyota's recommended interval is 1 year or 10K, whichever comes first.

1692667406448.png

Since when would 8 PPM of iron be considered "Elevated" for 5k miles? That's just crazy. That is still low wear 8 PPM is very low. And since OA is off on their fuel dilution you can safely discard about 0.5% off your Fuel reading. Higher Synthetic base oils, I've Seen, start at around 10 Si so 15 is still very low. I can't find anything wrong with this report except maybe the fuel but the wear results are still very good.
That's a slug of Magnesium! Thanks for sharing!

So over 1.5 ppm of Iron per 1k miles. At 20K miles should be 32ppm of Iron. What is normal for this engine.

Other than Cleaning and TBN retention, is there an advantage in wear vs a Major OTS brand?

Looks like a pretty good report, by Bob’s standards.

I think 10k miles is doable, even with your driving style. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Wait, what? Where did this conclusion come from with respect to GC fuel?
:ROFLMAO: Did you forget about your own report? 0.3%

0.6%

0.3%

0.5%

0.2%

0.2%

0.5%

Last edited:
🤨 @fantastic — so you’re saying that Polaris Labs fuel numbers are inflated and are not accurate and that only Oil Analyzers is the Supreme Lab that has accurate fuel data? 🤔🧐

You can probably do 10-15k miles with HPL oil in a toyota. I would if I bothered to spend the $$ on it. Otherwise I spent 20-25$ on a jug of walmart oil and change every 5k on my toyota's and forget about it.

Again, its a toyota, and the UOA's are just as boring as their cars up to the year 2020.

Sure, a bit of fuel, the engine is old, idk your total mileage, but, its a 12 year old motor.
Run some fuel injector cleaner.

:ROFLMAO: Did you forget about your own report? 0.3%

0.6%

0.3%

0.5%

0.2%

0.2%

0.5%
I think you are making a bit of a logical leap to assume that because the baseline samples are showing a small fraction of a percentage of fuel as an artifact, possibly due to some extremely light fractions that are volatizing, that this applies to used samples.

If this concerns you, the logical approach would be to reach out to OAI/Polaris and ask them about it, rather than just assuming that one should be shaving 0.5% off the figure shown on used samples.

🤨 @fantastic — so you’re saying that Polaris Labs fuel numbers are inflated and are not accurate and that only Oil Analyzers is the Supreme Lab that has accurate fuel data? 🤔🧐
Neither is supreme. Polaris uses Oil Analyzers for testing so they are one & the same. I'm bringing up enough data for me to be skeptical it's GC is 100% accurate.
I think you are making a bit of a logical leap to assume that because the baseline samples are showing a small fraction of a percentage of fuel as an artifact, possibly due to some extremely light fractions that are volatizing, that this applies to used samples.

If this concerns you, the logical approach would be to reach out to OAI/Polaris and ask them about it, rather than just assuming that one should be shaving 0.5% off the figure shown on used samples.
I did give them a call today per your approach method. I spoke to Jacob & asked about new oil GC testing results vs used GC testing results. He stated that their machines are set up for used oil w/no fuel & that there are hydrocarbons in new oil that they aren't exactly set-up for. Potentially why we see fuel in VOA. However, he agreed that it's safe to assume some variability on the used oil too based on their equipment GC not 100% accurate. I will drop the "Safely reduce".

I like Oil Analyzers just to be clear or Blackstone for that matter other than BS prices.

Neither is supreme. Polaris uses Oil Analyzers for testing so they are one & the same. I'm bringing up enough data for me to be skeptical it's GC is 100% accurate.

I did give them a call today per your approach method. I spoke to Jacob & asked about new oil GC testing results vs used GC testing results. He stated that their machines are set up for used oil w/no fuel & that there are hydrocarbons in new oil that they aren't exactly set-up for. Potentially why we see fuel in VOA. However, he agreed that it's safe to assume some variability on the used oil too based on their equipment GC not 100% accurate. I will drop the "Safely reduce".

I like Oil Analyzers just to be clear or Blackstone for that matter other than BS prices.
As I suspected, thank you for taking the initiative and making the call. (y)

Polaris is the parent company, Oil Analyzers is the reseller version through AMSOIL.

OP mentioned in the first sentence how the dilution probably happened. My Sienna gets very short tripped as well and expecting the same.

Back