2019 Ram 1500 Classic 5.7L - HPL PCEO 5w20 - 9709 miles

History: I've owned this truck since 8848 miles in June 2020. I've followed the OLM it's entire life, except for scheduling issues. This interval had the OLM at 5%. Commute is 80% highway. Almost all family driving is in this truck as well on evenings and weekends.

In went HPL Euro and a Fram Endurance in the standard size, wasn't a fan of how the fat one fit.

Past UOAs
2019 Ram 1500 Classic 5.7L - Pennzoil Platinum 5w20 - 10073miles
2019 Ram 1500 Classic 5.7L - Pennzoil Platinum 5w20 - 9797 miles

Iron is way down, copper is up a tick from last time. TBN is still very strong at 6.6. Viscosity is up from a base of 8.8. Don't know the base oxidation of this oil but we know HPLs are elevated from "normal" oils.

Screenshot 2023-12-15 111917.jpg

Others may have some more insight on the Copper, w/this engine, but everything else looks good. The viscosity did well for a 5w-20 & the mileage.

Last edited:
I looked over my oxidation data on HPL oils and my guess is that your oil started at about 30, so the normalized oxidation of your oil is approximately 4. We also know from lab data that HPL oils have extreme oxidative stability, so there is nothing to worry about there.

That's a good looking report. The base oxidation value is ~30 so you're good to go there. The viscosity has thickened a tad into the bottom of 30 grade range which isn't a bad thing. The TBN is still looking good.

The copper is likely a result of chelation. The strong cleaning action of that oil is removing layers of copper sulfide. This is quite common and should settle after a few changes.

I would go for 15k miles on the next change.

That's a good looking report. The base oxidation value is ~30 so you're good to go there. The viscosity has thickened a tad into the bottom of 30 grade range which isn't a bad thing. The TBN is still looking good.

The copper is likely a result of chelation. The strong cleaning action of that oil is removing layers of copper sulfide. This is quite common and should settle after a few changes.

I thought I remember reading about chelation. This was the 2nd change with the PCEO 5w20.

I switched oils to the Euro 5w30. I've got another change worth of that, debating on sampling a time or two on this change or just use it as a "flush" change for 10k and then start sampling on the next change.

I looked over my oxidation data on HPL oils and my guess is that your oil started at about 30, so the normalized oxidation of your oil is approximately 4. We also know from lab data that HPL oils have extreme oxidative stability, so there is nothing to worry about there.

Everything is fine. A shear stable oil is only going to go up in viscosity but this increase is minimal. Do we know the virgin oxidation value of the HPL line? If it's 30, then it's perfectly fine.

This thread suggests that the starting oxidation is lower than 30, maybe 20? The Euro is 20.

This thread suggests that the starting oxidation is lower than 30, maybe 20? The Euro is 20.

25-30 range I think.

History: I've owned this truck since 8848 miles in June 2020. I've followed the OLM it's entire life, except for scheduling issues. This interval had the OLM at 5%. Commute is 80% highway. Almost all family driving is in this truck as well on evenings and weekends.

In went HPL Euro and a Fram Endurance in the standard size, wasn't a fan of how the fat one fit.

Past UOAs
2019 Ram 1500 Classic 5.7L - Pennzoil Platinum 5w20 - 10073miles
2019 Ram 1500 Classic 5.7L - Pennzoil Platinum 5w20 - 9797 miles

Iron is way down, copper is up a tick from last time. TBN is still very strong at 6.6. Viscosity is up from a base of 8.8. Don't know the base oxidation of this oil but we know HPLs are elevated from "normal" oils.

View attachment 193065
I assume Sample #2 was a VOA of some sort?

Back