2019 Ram 1500 Classic 5.7L - Pennzoil Platinum 5w20 - 9797 miles

My last UOA

History: I've owned this truck since 8848 miles in June 2020. My first change under ownership was a little short but since then, I've followed the OLM with Pennzoil Platinum 5w20 and a Fram Ultra.

This interval had the OLM at 2% iirc.

Commute is 80% highway. Almost all family driving is in this truck as well on evenings and weekends.

I have replaced the Platinum with HPL Passenger Car Engine Oil and an Amsoil EA filter.

🍿

Screenshot 2023-04-17 081543.png

The oil held up well and it appears the OLM was pretty accurate. What I see here is an SP rated oil doing a good job. No oxidation, wear in control.

Stepping up to HPL will allowing much longer drain intervals, with superior engine cleanliness through the solvency HPL offers.

The oil held up well and it appears the OLM was pretty accurate. What I see here is an SP rated oil doing a good job. No oxidation, wear in control.

Stepping up to HPL will allowing much longer drain intervals, with superior engine cleanliness through the solvency HPL offers.
Thanks for your input.

Looking at the cleaning properties more so than extended drains.

I've been very impressed with this engine so far, it is silent, uses almost zero oil (2qt in 10k) and plenty of power. Aiming for many, many years of service.

Blackstone reported thickening of the oil on the 10k UOA run but this Oil analyzer report is showing well inline for the grade at the same mileage with the same oil. discrepancy?

Iron went up while copper came down this run vs the other report. Iron seems to be within error according to the universal averages.

Blackstone reported thickening of the oil on the 10k UOA run but this Oil analyzer report is showing well inline for the grade at the same mileage with the same oil. discrepancy?

Iron went up while copper came down this run vs the other report. Iron seems to be within error according to the universal averages.
Blackstone retested the sample for viscosity and found it within grade. It's on the 2nd or 3rd page of the thread since I couldn't add that information to the original post.

Blackstone retested the sample for viscosity and found it within grade. It's on the 2nd or 3rd page of the thread since I couldn't add that information to the original post.
Ah, I didn't read that far. Thanks for adding this. So the Platinum did hold up over 10k in both cases. Any reason to not go with the Ultra instead of HPL? Are you going to continue to change with the OLM?

Ah, I didn't read that far. Thanks for adding this. So the Platinum did hold up over 10k in both cases. Any reason to not go with the Ultra instead of HPL? Are you going to continue to change with the OLM?
Yes, the platinum seemed to do fine. I did think about Ultra but it doesn’t seem readily available in my area. I know HPL isn’t either but it seemed like a lot of effort for something that wasn’ta huge step up like it seems the HPL is.

My main goal was the enhanced cleaning that people are setting out of HPL. And still planning to stick to the OLM. I’ve got enough people convinced my engine is going to fall apart in a couple hundred miles don’t want to send too many flags up ;)

Yes, the platinum seemed to do fine. I did think about Ultra but it doesn’t seem readily available in my area. I know HPL isn’t either but it seemed like a lot of effort for something that wasn’ta huge step up like it seems the HPL is.

My main goal was the enhanced cleaning that people are setting out of HPL. And still planning to stick to the OLM. I’ve got enough people convinced my engine is going to fall apart in a couple hundred miles don’t want to send too many flags up ;)
I told one of my friends that I plan on running 10k on my diesel & he just shook his head & said ha not a good idea...lol I'm not worried about it though. Plenty of us have been tuned to not go past 5k ha ha.

Funny you talk about the cleaning effects of HPL. I'm in another thread & the OP says "None to be seen".

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...open-looking-for-glitter.367760/#post-6460097

I told one of my friends that I plan on running 10k on my diesel & he just shook his head & said ha not a good idea...lol I'm not worried about it though. Plenty of us have been tuned to not go past 5k ha ha.

Funny you talk about the cleaning effects of HPL. I'm in another thread & the OP says "None to be seen".

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...open-looking-for-glitter.367760/#post-6460097
I can understand that perspective. I don’t think anyone should expect miracles but if this is the route to the cleanest engine, it’ll work for me. Plus it’s undoubtedly a great oil with a transparent company so I have zero doubts about my 10k intervals.

I can understand that perspective. I don’t think anyone should expect miracles but if this is the route to the cleanest engine, it’ll work for me. Plus it’s undoubtedly a great oil with a transparent company so I have zero doubts about my 10k intervals.
Yes, I agree. (y)

It's nice to have an oil company work with the forum w/premium products. I'm too cheap to pay the prices but you will do well & have great peace of mind. I did have the greatest fun in my old 318 5.2L (Chrysler engine) Plymouth. Are you going to do more UOA on this beast or are not worried about it?

Yes, I agree. (y)

It's nice to have an oil company work with the forum w/premium products. I'm too cheap to pay the prices but you will do well & have great peace of mind. I did have the greatest fun in my old 318 5.2L (Chrysler engine) Plymouth. Are you going to do more UOA on this beast or are not worried about it?
I’ll do one after 10k run on HPL. Then from time to time just to check in on the engine.

Definitely got good service out of that oil given how little TBN is left.

Looking forward to seeing if you find anything in your filter like I did when you switch to HPL.

Definitely got good service out of that oil given how little TBN is left.

Looking forward to seeing if you find anything in your filter like I did when you switch to HPL.
Filter cutter was delivered yesterday. Just need to grab a simple drain pan and I’ll cut this one open on a lunch break, at least for practice.

Pretty sure I’m going to cut this interval short at 6000-7000. It’s such pain to change this filter, I have a hard time going through all the effort and not changing the oil.

Back