Ford 3.5L at 50k mi / HPL 5w-30 at 10k mi

Holy Magnesium, Batman!

I think 1800ppm is the most I've ever seen in a fully formulated motor oil with no additives.

Otherwise, nice report. What was the starting TBN? Over 10 after 10K miles is really strong.

Starting TBN is ~13.5.

Air filters work opposite of oil/fluid filters in terms of efficiency with loading. Air filters become more efficient with loading while oil filters become less efficient up until right before clogging.

Air filters can start losing efficiency if they become so loaded as to cause a high pressure drop.

My most recent extended run in my 2018 Taurus n/a 3.5L. Typical mixed use; city and highway.

To help this make sense, here is an OCI history:
- at 1k miles, the oil/filter was changed with dino ST (first "break in" flush of the OEM machining remnants)
- at 5k miles, the oil/filter was changed with dino ST (second "break in" flush)
- at 10k miles, the oil/filter was changed with dino ST
- at 20k miles, the oil/filter was changed with dino ST
- at 32k miles, the oil/filter was changed with dino ST; first UOA on the 12k mile oil run, see below
- at 40k miles, the oil/filter was changed with HPL (no UOA on the 8k mile oil run)
- at 50k miles, the oil was left in but filter changed; second UOA with 10k mile oil run, see below

The shift to 30 grade HPL is merely a matter of coincidence; it was not a planned change- the oil came from the HPL openhouse last year.

* There are a few differences between the UOAs; first Blackstone and then WearCheck, so minor disparities should be ignored.
* Both the conventional ST and the premium HPL did very well at having low wear rates; a general trait of the Cyclone engines.
* The HPL is still in the engine; planning on running another 10k miles and then sample at 20k miles.
* The filter was changed at 51k miles (having 11k miles on the filter and HPL oil). There was absolutely no sludge or carbon of any kind in the filter after 11k miles; very clean running engines, these Cyclones! The filter was changed as a precaution to see how much contamination was present; none, essentially. That made me feel good about extending the OCI further. Had I known how good it was, I would have left it on there to 20k.
* Oil was topped off at 51k miles only to make up for the lost volume of the filter change. There was no appreciable oil loss during the 11k miles of use. The volatility of this HPL lube is incredibly low.

Rich (BB code):
Veh Miles 32k 50k
OCI miles 11.8k 10k
filter TG XG
oil brand ST HPL
oil grade 5w-20 5w-30
oil base conv grp III
UOA svc Blkstn WrChk
Oil chng? Yes No
Filter chng? Yes Yes

Alum 5 5
Chromium 0 0
Iron 9 8
Copper 6 4
Lead 0 0
Tin 0 0
Moly 39 479
Nickle 0 0
Manganese 3 2
Silver 0 0
Titanium 0 1
Potassium 0 1
Boron 42 21
Silicon 38 25
Sodium 3 4
Calcium 1396 1183
Magnesium 435 1857
Phos 758 648
Zinc 876 842
Barium 0 0

Vis at 100C 8.49 10.4
Flash Point 44 x
Fuel  Antifreeze 0 0
Water 0 0
Insols/soot .2 .1
Nitration x 16.9
Sulfation x 40.1
Oxidation x 39.6
Acid x 2.0
Base x 10.6
From looking at this UOA, the SuperTech 20 weight conventional and the HPL 30 weight group III +AN + Ester seemed to be nearly identical in wear metals during the 2 extended oil changes.

It would have been interesting to see the Oxidation on the SuperTech conventional oil just to see how much it deteriorated compared with the HPL.

Is this the 3.5 Ecoboost? If so be careful with extended oil changes, I know I will get rude comments but I could care less oil is cheap engines not so much.

I guess I'd say that my OCI extension goal is all of the above.

I'm a big propronent of getting a good ROI. To do so, you have to extend these lubes out to justify their costs. The HPL has an excellent cleaning additive package; that helps.

I like being able to show folks that their "cheap insurance" concepts regaring frequent OCIs is often just wasteful. Most of today's lubes (be they conventional or syn) are far more capable than most folks would believe.

I DO NOT advocate for blindly extending an OCI just upon my word. People need to investigate all the concerns and conditions going into a maintenance program for their equipment. Some vehicles and operational conditions do not lend themselves to longer OCIs; this isn't a one-size-fits-all approach I'm pushing for. What I'm trying to show people is that most any lube can easily go much further than you'd think and still safely protect an engine. The only way to know is to slowly stretch out the OCIs and then confirm engine health with UOAs, filter analysis, PC analysis, visual inspections, etc. One should NEVER just blindly double or triple an OCI as a guess.
Unless you just hate to change oil, there is not evidence to show that HDL is worth the extra $$ over ST dino oil. Not looking at the 2 oil analysis. Not trying to start a fight with the HPL lovers out there, but this was my impression after looking at the 2 results Now if you are talking about a 20+k oci, that's different.

Even Dave Ward (HPL) would tell you that short OCIs with his products don't really make sense.
OCI extensions are one of the many benefits of HPL's products.
Do I hate to change oil? Not really; I enjoy getting the tools out once in a while.
But I also love to experiment and open peoples eyes with interesting data; hence the OCI extensions.
In terms of wear control, the HPL wasn't statistically any "better" at 10k miles. But once we get to 20k or 30k miles, how will it look? Only time will tell !

Back