1987 New Yorker 2.5l N/A Oil

So I just picked up a 1-owner, garaged its entire life, low miles (70k) 1987 New Yorker, NOT the v8 one, but the K-Car one with the digital dashboard, and voice alerts "YOUR DOOR IS AJAR" lol :cool:

It has the 2.5l NON-Turbo, funny thing is I have the original window sticker, and it came STANDARD with the 2.2l Turbo but for like a $650 savings, someone DELETED that engine and went with the other engine option, the boring, but reliable, 2.5l four. Blah. Guess I cannot complain, it runs GREAT and is smooth as silk. But having owned a New Yorker Turbo before, I will miss the whistle and whole 7lbs of boost...ha ha

Getting ready to change the oil for the first time, I have no indication of the last time it was changed. It has a MOPAR Oil Filter, so it was probably at least changed at a Dodge Shop somewhere. The car is going to be driven occasionally, probably 2-3,000 miles a year TOPS. It has oil seepage all over the place, I will get to that eventually. Until then, what is YOUR recommendation for oil and filter? I was thinking Valvoline white bottle 5w30 and a WIX oil filter? Or would a synthetic blend be a better idea?
i would like to see some pics of the 62 parked in front of it !

Went to my garage cabinet, here is my inventory of oil filters that will fit the New Yorker:
*2 Ac-Delco PF53s
*1 Purolator white can 10241
*1 Purolator PureOne PL10241
*1 Supertech basic 3614

Which oil filter is the best one for this application??

Formula Shell is on sale at Menards right now, I think its a 6 quart box for $17 or something like that. I know its going to leak some of it out, so the concept of using "whatever is good and cheap for now" is on my radar. Get the Shell, or hold out for the Maxlife?
The Shell will be fine, as either 5W30 or 10W30 (when above 0F / -20C)

I love the coffin interior seats on this car. They look very comfortable. Makes me miss the old American car plush velvet red interiors.
It is INCREDIBLY comfortable. I had the same car before, but with Leather interior "fine corinthian leather", and will say that the cloth seats are light years more comfier.

Well you're no fun, lol. You are suppose to chastise my stock, make me feel like garbage for participating in capitalism, and rattle on about "e-core" and media or something like that :ROFLMAO:
Nah, I'm gonna sh** all over purolator, because of their tearing media and sliced ADBV, I have no problem with Champ eCores, they're a cheap jobber filter that works fine enough for what they are and the price point they're sold at.

Nah, I'm gonna sh** all over purolator, because of their tearing media and sliced ADBV, I have no problem with Champ eCores, they're a cheap jobber filter that works fine enough for what they are and the price point they're sold at.

Ok so what are the champ ecore ones? The Ac-Delco? Or the Supertech?

Thanks for all the recommendations.. I went to Meijer and picked up this Maxlife Plus (Marketing Edition) for $22, but apparently it DOES have a little more Moly than the plain Maxlife, and was $1 more, plus I had a $3 off MPerks, so I wasn't mad. And an OEM Mopar Oil Filter ($7 at Walmart). Ill save the my oil filter stash for friends and families cars. LOL

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    58.8 KB · Views: 21
I remember my mom getting a new black cherry '89 Shadow with the 2.5 4 cyl.
One of the few options it had.

I remember my mom getting a new black cherry '89 Shadow with the 2.5 4 cyl.
One of the few options it had.
In 1993, my Mom was looking for a new car. She was dead set on a brand new, 1993 four-door Saturn SL2 in hunter green. I loathed the idea of it. Although, Saturns were "cool" at that time, I begged and - at 12 years old at the time - nearly cried for her to get a 1993 four-door Hunter Green Dodge Shadow ES with the v6 and that cool hood bulge :cool:. Even though my Dad worked at Chrysler and thats all he drove, she hated them. Said their radios were "tinny", whatever that meant, lol I actually was able to nag her enough to get her to test-drive a new Shadow ES, and even with my Dads employee discount, and the 3.0l v6, which she said was zippy, she hated just about everything else about the car (I went on to own several Shadows, Sundances/Dusters, Spirits and Acclaims myself!).

I always say that I drove Mopars until I was old enough to know better... ;)

Went to my garage cabinet, here is my inventory of oil filters that will fit the New Yorker:
*2 Ac-Delco PF53s
*1 Purolator white can 10241
*1 Purolator PureOne PL10241
*1 Supertech basic 3614

Which oil filter is the best one for this application??
I always used the Purolators with my 2.5 and any 5w-30 oil I got a deal on. It was one of the best engines I ever had. Timing belts every 60-70k and I replaced the water pump with it even though it wasn't driven by the T-belt. It was easy when everything was apart.
It is a non interference engine but I would replace that timing belt if it wasn't done.
You might also want to check out the Allpar forum. You will find the people there are extremely knowledgeable about "EEKS" (every extended k-car).

Last edited:
Back