'16 Big Turbo Golf R running Ethanol Blend

I hated the handling of the R stock. I came from a track sorted RWD BMW M coupe that was just incredible in the twisties and on the track. It was no where as fast in a straight line as the R but handling was so much better plus being RWD...I just prefer RWD on the track.
The R stock understeered like a pig. Adding just the RSB was huge but now with the chassis bracing, Eurosport Camber mounts, Bilstein PSS10s, deadset kit, LCAs it handles great. I do think the RSB is the biggest bang for buck though on this car. If I would only do one suspension mod on this car that would be it.
My setup is H&R Sport springs, Bilstein B8s, and a H&R RSB. Talk to me about thouse Eurosport camber inserts? Any negatives? Do you have the United Motorsport Haldex tune? If not...do it.

a nice setup + as usual it depends on $$$$ you have to spend. savagegeese.com has a nice vid on how heat effects oils viscosity. motor oil| the fine print is the vid, hes a pro + has some great vids + watching oil temps is noted. reading notes oils using thinner base oils aka 0W + even 5W deteriorate faster even if they are REAL synthetics + notes Ester base oils handle heat the best as they can be "engineered" for desired properties + only esters are used in jet engines, but surely a different application

Last edited:
.... Talk to me about thouse Eurosport camber inserts? Any negatives? Do you have the United Motorsport Haldex tune? If not...do it.
I decided to go with the Eurosports since the reports were no NVH like the Superpros or especially the 034s. In the past I wouldn't have cared but I guess I'm getting old! So far so good, but they don't give you as much camber as the Superpros. I have a used set of the Superpros in the garage if I decide to switch out to get a touch more. With the Superpro LCAs, the Eurosports, and .5" of lowering with the PSS10's I'm at -2° If I tossed the Superpros in I think I'd be around -2.4°

No UM Haldex tune, but I have toyed with the idea in the past. I have done as much of the OBD11 tweaks as possible to help there.

I decided to go with the Eurosports since the reports were no NVH like the Superpros or especially the 034s. In the past I wouldn't have cared but I guess I'm getting old! So far so good, but they don't give you as much camber as the Superpros. I have a used set of the Superpros in the garage if I decide to switch out to get a touch more. With the Superpro LCAs, the Eurosports, and .5" of lowering with the PSS10's I'm at -2° If I tossed the Superpros in I think I'd be around -2.4°

No UM Haldex tune, but I have toyed with the idea in the past. I have done as much of the OBD11 tweaks as possible to help there.
I have read mixed results from the 034 and Superpro fixed mounts...I really want to try them.....the 034's have rubber inserts vs. poly which has to help. I also think you have folks not installing them properly.

The UM tune is great at your power level....you are likely only transferring about 30% of the max 50% torque in the system at this point. The OBDEleven "increased traction" tweak does zero. I've tested the crap out of this stuff. Here is some reading if you are interested:

My post #101 with data from the UM tune:

My post #118 with my data on the OBDEleven tweak:

Reactions: MSH
You may already know this:

index.php

17800k-1000.gif

^^^that's what I think I'm going to do, I'll get the complete mounts vs. drilling out my existing ones. -0.8 deg camber and no NVH. The only thing I have seen about these that is negative is that it puts your spring at an angle vs. the strut and that can cause some noise but so many folks run these without any drama.

The only thing I have seen about these that is negative is that it puts your spring at an angle vs. the strut and that can cause some noise but so many folks run these without any drama.

Good point. I actually did overlook this issue even though it's pretty obvious
as the upper spring seat remains in its original position while the damper's
piston rod is pushed inwards. The stiffer the spring is the more the force the
damper is 'loaded' transversely. One could machine the springs ends slightly,
giving them a minor offset for some compension . . . .

@MSH - have you had a look at the High Performance Lubricants 5W40 Euro oil being discussed in the forum? I'm goinb to give it a whirl for a track even in the spring and see how the viscosity holds up vs. what I've used in the past.

@MSH - have you had a look at the High Performance Lubricants 5W40 Euro oil being discussed in the forum? I'm goinb to give it a whirl for a track even in the spring and see how the viscosity holds up vs. what I've used in the past.
I haven't checked them out yet. I'll be curious to hear your feedback for sure!

Another 3k UOA. This time Motul Sport 5-40
Big change to car since last UOA was to add MPI (Multi Port Injection) to be able to run full E85 and higher ethanol blends than the stock DI which I could only run up to about E30 safely. I added the MPI about 1200 miles after the last oil change so this UOA reflects ~1200 miles on E30 and the remaining 1800 miles on E40 tune 50% of that time (~900 miles) and full E85 tune for the other 50%(~900 miles). Power has obviously increased since the addition of MPI and being able to run full E85. Corrected dyno figures on E85 = 510whp/466wtq.

Screen Shot 2022-05-31 at 4.37.48 PM.jpg

Another 3k UOA. This time Motul Sport 5-40
Big change to car since last UOA was to add MPI (Multi Port Injection) to be able to run full E85 and higher ethanol blends than the stock DI which I could only run up to about E30 safely. I added the MPI about 1200 miles after the last oil change so this UOA reflects ~1200 miles on E30 and the remaining 1800 miles on E40 tune 50% of that time (~900 miles) and full E85 tune for the other 50%(~900 miles). Power has obviously increased since the addition of MPI and being able to run full E85. Corrected dyno figures on E85 = 510whp/466wtq.

View attachment 102215
Looks good except for the iron - I wonder why so much in such a short interval. That oil held together well w/r to it's viscosity.

Looks good except for the iron - I wonder why so much in such a short interval. That oil held together well w/r to it's viscosity.
I know. Concerned a bit to, but with that said, my intent is to build the engine at some point anyway and get a full frame turbo. That or DAZA swap it!

I know. Concerned a bit to, but with that said, my intent is to build the engine at some point anyway and get a full frame turbo. That or DAZA swap it!
DAZA swap THE WORLDDDDD!

You know what I will say, it needs a 50 with e85. Strange comment by Blackstone re engine noise...
halfway there...I had a full jug of 5-40 Motul Sport and a little less than 3 qts of Motul Sport 5-50 so I ended up doing a 50/50 blend on this most recent fill.

DAZA swap THE WORLDDDDD!
I'd really love to do it but for the cost to do so probably wouldn't be a good long term move for my marriage. It certainly solves the crappy 4 banger exhaust note issue and the whp ceiling on those things is kinda insane seeing what Iroz is doing with that platform.
Re: exhaust note I'm sure you've seen this. Kevin's (RSR #2) Daza swap in his Golf R. His car is about as perfect as it gets in my book with how his is sorted end to end.

halfway there...I had a full jug of 5-40 Motul Sport and a little less than 3 qts of Motul Sport 5-50 so I ended up doing a 50/50 blend on this most recent fill.

I'd really love to do it but for the cost to do so probably wouldn't be a good long term move for my marriage. It certainly solves the crappy 4 banger exhaust note issue and the whp ceiling on those things is kinda insane seeing what Iroz is doing with that platform.
Re: exhaust note I'm sure you've seen this. Kevin's (RSR #2) Daza swap in his Golf R. His car is about as perfect as it gets in my book with how his is sorted end to end.

I've heard it - sick. They did it to an Alltrack as well. This is a v. expensive thing to do to an economy car...I think at that point I'm just buying an RS3.

Back