0W-16 Strength & Durability

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some engines have ECU-controlled adjustable oil pumps that are programmed for 0W-16. Putting 5W-30 or heavier does not do well on those engines. https://toyota-club.net/files/faq/16-01-01_faq_oil-pump_eng.htm
Boy, they must really do poorly when it's -40C then...

As I've stated multiple times, the grade on the bottle has far less of an impact on viscosity than temperature. Ergo, these system cannot be as sensitive as some imagine them to be.

Toyota is not the only manufacturer using a pump with an ECM controlled relief to modulate pressure (which is all the system that you linked to does). The idea is to dump volume (by lowering the pressure threshold for bypass) back to the relief side to reduce pumping losses at higher RPM, while full volume is retained at low RPM.

Looking at a saved, almost 50 year old can, there are no ratings or approvals. When it came out in 1975 the approvals, IIRC, were SE or SF. SA and SB were 50's and early 60's.
Mobil 1 came out in the US in 1974 and I think it was API SE-CC dual licensed. The license was printed on the top of the can.

Looking at a saved, almost 50 year old can, there are no ratings or approvals. When it came out in 1975 the approvals, IIRC, were SE or SF. SA and SB were 50's and early 60's.
Mobil 1 came out in the US in 1974 and I think it was API SE-CC dual licensed. The license was printed on the top of the can.
And it was 5W-20?

API SE. Got it. I was not yet born.

Toyota is not the only manufacturer using a pump with an ECM controlled relief to modulate pressure (which is all the system that you linked to does). The idea is to dump volume (by lowering the pressure threshold for bypass) back to the relief side to reduce pumping losses at higher RPM, while full volume is retained at low RPM.
And to throw in ... it's still a positive displacement oil pump, just a variable PD pump.

I still believe temperature dictates the viscosity of oil that should be used. Today as well as years ago. If you live in the north, or a temperate climate, and experience very cold, frigid Winter weather, use a lower viscosity oil in those cold conditions.

If you live in mild, warm, or hot weather, use something with a higher viscosity. That has never changed, because there is no reason for it to.
This is exactly why OMs that spec a range of recommended viscosities show what viscosity to use based on the ambient temperature range. Also why there's a "W" rating on the bottle.

Just to throw this in here...

Why would it say this?

I do see some ambiguity in the wording, could perhaps make the case either way

Now 0W-16 is thinner than 0W-20, so. Unless your car says to use it.. ?

img_4942-png.46870
This STILL is not the 2001 Honda Civic US oil chart that just has an arrow that says 5W-20 across the whole thing, from like -10 to 120°F.

Maybe they thought it will never see above 120. So, in places like Vegas and Florida, where it can hit that every day for a month or two..now I'm thinking.

This STILL is not the 2001 Honda Civic US oil chart that just has an arrow that says 5W-20 across the whole thing, from like -10 to 120°F.

Maybe they thought it will never see above 120. So, in places like Vegas and Florida, where it can hit that every day for a month or two..now I'm thinking.

I wonder if these temperature charts for oil are remnants from the old days? Back then it was common to see cars overheat in the middle of summer.

I have driven my car with temperatures in the teens and temperatures over 100. My engine temperature reading on the instrument panel is the same, about 215-220. I imagine most cars are like that now.

This is exactly why OMs that spec a range of recommended viscosities show what viscosity to use based on the ambient temperature range. Also why there's a "W" rating on the bottle.
Look at that ambient temperature range, lately on my Miata all viscosities on the high temps max at same, but the chart affects lower temps. I take that the water coolant negates the high ambient temp. Would be really important if we were thinking about a air cooled engine. A dual pressure oil pump controlled by the ESM brings a lot of different factors into what is good viscosity for your engine. On a straight gear oil pump there are three factors that affect oil flow to the bearings to choose the proper oil viscosity. First oil temperature, second engine RPM and third is oil PSI. Of the three factors the PSI is the goldilocks. Too high PSI with equal oil temp and RPM for a specific engine with new bearing clearances means viscosity is too high. Too low PSI with the other factors means need to step up viscosity. Would be nice to know what the engine is rated for. Throw in the variable PSI oil pump controlled by the ESM…Gotta rethink it.

The Mazda Skyactiv has a variable PSI oil pump too.

Last edited:
I wonder if these temperature charts for oil are remnants from the old days? Back then it was common to see cars overheat in the middle of summer.

I have driven my car with temperatures in the teens and temperatures over 100. My engine temperature reading on the instrument panel is the same, about 215-220. I imagine most cars are like that now.
Doesn't mean the oil is also staying at a constant temperature. TiGeo here proved that by taking data.

Doesn't mean the oil is also staying at a constant temperature. TiGeo here proved that by taking data.

Good chart there. I’m not sure 25 degrees or so is really significant. I also consider my temperature gauge to not be that exact either.

Look at that ambient temperature range, lately on my Miata all viscosities on the high temps max at same, affects lower temps. I take that the water coolant negates the high ambient temp. Would be really important if we were thinking about a air cooled engine. A dual pressure oil pump controlled by the ESM brings a lot of different factors into what is good viscosity for your engine. On a straight gear oil pump there are three factors that affect oil flow to the bearings. First oil temperature, second engine RPM and third is oil PSI. Of the three factors the PSI is the goldilocks. Too high PSI with equal oil temp and RPM for a specific engine with new bearing clearances means viscosity is too high. Too low PSI with the other factors means need to step up viscosity. Throw in the variable oil pump controlled by the ESM…Gotta rethink it.
Without a PD oil pump force feeding journal bearings, they will only flow what their physical design and RPM will allow them too. A step above that is making them pressure fed, which will make them flow more oil above thier "natural" flow rate. There is nothing wrong with force feeding journal bearings more oil than not - it's been done ever since the pressure supplied oiling system was invented. In fact, force feeding them more oil helps to keep them running cooler, which is typically done on high performance race type engines. More pressure = more flow with all other factors held constant.

Moving parts don't care if they are flooded with too much oil, but they sure don't like a lack of oil being supplied to them, nor do they like an oil that is too thin where there is not enough film thickness (MOFT) created between them - regardless of how much oil volume is supplied. Moving parts don't like kissing each other (ie, metal-to-metal contact).

The whole use of a variable flow PD pump is also a CAFE driven. The engineers are trying to cut down the supplied oil volume to the oiling system (ie, reducing the HP loss in the PD pump) to the point where it's still "adequate" (but with less oil flow volume headroom) so they can squeeze out another 0.001 MPG to try and achieve that ever increasing CAFE requirement goal.

Force feeding the bearings are fine but given you have the oil pump at a standard what does higher than normal PSI mean as to your choice in oil viscosity? Suppose you know the RPM and oil temperature and know the target PSI. Ferrari adjusts the oil viscosity recommended by the oil PSI.

Wear is in the lower RPM and cold oil. And that starts with the 0w and then goes mainly to that 212 F point, unless we are talking track cars.

Last edited:
There are already some cases of 2.5L and 3.5L camry D4-S that has problems from using 5w-30 instead of 0W-16. It was information from Master Diagnostic Level Mechanics in a dealership. It is up to you, your cars, and your money for repair.
Off course, it is in American made Toyota in the range beyond 200 000 km problems.

There are already some cases of 2.5L camry D4-S that has problems from using 5w-30 instead of 0W-16. It was information from Master Diagnostic Level Mechanics in a dealership. It is up to you, your cars, and your money for repair.
No there aren’t. If there are then they are fabricated ones due to a nannying system that is a result of a CAFE award. No engine is harmed in any way by a higher grade oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back