Valvoline Synpower vs MaxLife Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which one is better in a 2000 MB E430 with more than 80k miles ? If they are priced the same at about $3.20/quart. The OCI is 1 year/12k miles, daily car with 22 miles 70% city streets round trip.

One of my local Kragen stores (out of 4) had stacks of maxlife syn cases for 24 and change. This was a few months ago...
frown.gif

Quote:

Where do you buy them for $3.20 a qt?

I can buy 3 cases from Amazon.com for $35.94/case with free shipping + $20 off for $99 or more with discount code ILW7MGWS + $30 cash back with first use of Amazon Visa, the total would be $87.82 or $3.21/qt.

Or I can buy 1 case for $35.94/case with free shipping + $30 cash back with first use of Amazon Visa, the cost is 99 cents/qt.

I just finished a 5000mi UOA with Synpower. I personally think the maxlife synthetic and the synpower are both great oils, it just depends on if you need a thinner or thicker one. Being you live in SoCal, either should work fine, and I know for sure the Synpower is MB certified. I would go 6000mi and UOA before going the full 12k however, unless you have a big sump on that Merc. How many quarts does it hold?

Quote:

I just finished a 5000mi UOA with Synpower. I personally think the maxlife synthetic and the synpower are both great oils, it just depends on if you need a thinner or thicker one. Being you live in SoCal, either should work fine, and I know for sure the Synpower is MB certified. I would go 6000mi and UOA before going the full 12k however, unless you have a big sump on that Merc. How many quarts does it hold?

What vehicle?

Did it consume any oil in 5K?

Quote:

The E430 holds 8.5 quarts, it has 1 year/12k miles OCI's with M1 since new. The car does not consume any oil between changes. The oil starts to get very dark at 4-5k miles and becomes black at around 8-9k miles, but it did not get changed until the FSS counts down close to zero, and that is around 11.0k-13.0k miles.

I bought 6 quarts Maxlife Synthetic for around $36, after $30 cash back it would cost me only $1/quart. I have 1 gallon Maxlife Synthetic I bought few months ago, I will try it on the next oil change.

I just bought 5 quarts of Maxlife synthetic for $5.79/qt at O'Reillys. I prefer to buy the 5 quart jugs at Wal-mart for less than $20, but haven't been able to find them in Texas. Is there a rebate offer from Valvoline still? Where do you find it? BTW, here's what is on the label now:
Valvoline's Maxlife synthetic is the ONLY motor oil that combines seal protection with a full synthetic formula:
-Conditioners rejuvenate seals to help reduce oil consumption and prevent leaks
-Specifically designed to be suitable for high performance vehicles
-Synthetic formula provides greatest oil burn-off protection versus competitive high mileage oils
Recommended for engines specifying API SM/SL/CF, ACEA, A3/B3/B4/C3, BMW LL-04, VW502.00, VW505.00, VW505.01, MB229.51/229.5, MB229.31/229.3. See owner manual for appropriate viscosity.
Exceeds API SERVICES SM,SL/CF
ACEA SERVICES A3/B3-04, A3/B4-04, C3-04 and all preceding API and ACEA gasoline and passenger car diesel categories. Meets or exceeds all protection requirements of ILSAC GF-4.
API SERVICES rated SM/CF. SAE 10W30.

I just spoke with a Valvoline tech and asked him which is better. He said definitely Maxlife Synthetic, because they put higher group oil in it. I mentioned the MSDS on regular Maxlife shows 12-22% PAO and asked if the Synthetic Maxlife has that. He said yes and even more PAO than the regular Maxlife. It also has Group III, but hey Synpower is all Group III from MSDS.

The way I see it one only needs Maxlife for all their vehicles, either regular or synthetic, unless you need a 40 wt synthetic, then Synpower would be a good choice.

Yes, I took advantage of mislabling at Wal-Mart and stocked up on Maxlife Synth a few months back. Good stuff.

Thanks TallPaul,

I thought that for the same cost, Maxlife Synthetic is better buy than Synpower. Mercedes recommends M1 0W-40 for 2000 E430 with FSS. The climate in So Cal along the coast is very mild all year, it is rarely drop below 45F in winter and above 80F in summer, I am starting to use thinner oils for MB E430, xW30 plus 8oz VSOT in 8.5 quarts sump. The OCI will be 1 year/15k miles with synthetic oils, 6 mos/7.5k miles with conventional oils for all cars I have.

Quote:

I am starting to use thinner oils for MB E430, xW30 plus 8oz VSOT in 8.5 quarts sump.

I believe/think the Maxlife Syn jugs say NOT to us oil additives like SLOB or VSOT with it. There may be similar wording with other high mileage dino oils... I dunno!

HTSS: A whole bottle of VSOT will make the Maxlife Synthetic into a 40 weight, right about 13.5 to 14 cSt, depending on the size of your sump. Another option to thicken the Maxlife Synthetic is Synpower 20w50. It doesn't seem right, but last I looked at the MSDSs for Synpower, all were Group III, but the 20w50 was PAO! If only it is true. Should have asked that Valvoline Tech as he seemed to be a bit freer with info than most Valvoline Techs.

I plan on running Maxlife Synthetic 10w30 in the Aerostar (uses 1 qt in 1300 miles on 10w30) soon and if it consumes, will add half a bottle VSOT. If it continues to consume, will add the other half.

I went through Valvoline's oil selector and it told me to use Maxlife Synthetic in two of my vehicles. The other got Durablend, probably because it is under 75000 miles, but Maxlife is fine for a brand new engine too.

Last edited:
I've been running Synpower 5w-40 in my Miata for the last 4K miles. I now have a small leak that appeared. I've since changed the oil to Maxlife Synthetic.

Does anyone know if the Maxlife will help swell that O-ring seal on my CAS? Just had the seal replaced about 20K ago... My mechanic at the time thought that switching around oils... synthetics included, that I would develop a leak. Looks like he was correct. Switching from Mobil 1 to Syntec to Synpower may have done something??

Hopefully Maxlife will cure the leak. Otherwise I may just go back to Dino oil since I don't go anywhere over 4k with this small 4qt. sump and high reving engine.

Thanks.

Switching the oils should not make a new seal leak. If the CAS (what's that?) o-ring leaks I would think it is some other reason than the oil. How many miles on your Miata?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back