Future of Quick Lube Places

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by camrydriver111
Everything I don't like is Marxism.

Some of the women that came out from behind the Iron Curtain are nice to look at.

You mean everyone doesn't change their oil themselves?
crazy2.gif

You aren't going to beat a combined-cycle natural gas plant on cost.

The coal-fired power plant in Redondo Beach, California has been repowered with gas. 1,300 MW, the output of a huge coal complex, totally silent, and a staff of maybe 35, counting the receptionist and custodians. Operates around 60% thermal efficiency.

If I hadn't seen the sign outside I wouldn't know it was in operation.

Last edited:
the average ticket price at the local valvoline instant oil change is $162... they aren't going anywhere!

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Originally Posted by camrydriver111
Everything I don't like is Marxism.

Some of the women that came out from behind the Iron Curtain are nice to look at.

You are not kidding, many are smoking hot and very inhibited.

Originally Posted by Mainia
Originally Posted by Leo99
Eventually, there will be many electric cars and cars that have very extended OCI. But by then most people won't own cars. We'll just Uber everywhere.

A utopian Progressive /Marxist dream you have. And then we will have 25 more Nuclear power plants to contend with, with your mass electric car dream.

Crude oil took many years to form; the amount of energy (from sunlight) stored in crude oil will not get replaced by the formation of new crude at its current rate given how much we burn. And it's not even close. Meaning, burning crude oil for vehicle fuel is not sustainable long term.

I will leave it to you to look up how many years of sunlight we are burning through every day. The chemists at Pennzoil would have a good grasp of this.

Originally Posted by Mainia
Originally Posted by Leo99
Eventually, there will be many electric cars and cars that have very extended OCI. But by then most people won't own cars. We'll just Uber everywhere.

A utopian Progressive /Marxist dream you have. And then we will have 25 more Nuclear power plants to contend with, with your mass electric car dream.

No offense, but you sound... I don't want to insult you.

Crude oil took many years to form; the amount of energy (from sunlight) stored in crude oil will not get replaced by the formation of new crude at its current rate given how much we burn. And it's not even close. Meaning, burning crude oil for vehicle fuel is not sustainable.

I will leave it to you to look up how many years of sunlight we are burning through every day. The chemists at Pennzoil would have a good grasp of this.

And with that nuclear spill in Japan - a very technologically advanced and competent country - accidents do happen. And I don't want radiation in my salmon.

I think it takes something like one square mile of solar panels to supply the entire US.

And I don't know of any "progressives" who push for more nuclear power in the US, the opposite opinion comes from them in fact, but that appears to be a political debate, so I won't touch it.

But I digress. This is about quick lube joints.

I will simply point out that that you should go on other websites where rational people make their case for their progressive opinions and debate with them in the comments, not here per the rules.

You can chop it up with people you call "progressive/Marxist" as they point out how if each idea of theirs is explained by itself to ppl, a majority of ppl end up agreeing with them, but you shouldn't chop it up here.

It's one thing to disagree with someone, it's another to not even know what they are saying- and then argue against them.

Back to the lube joints.

My 80yr/old mom didn't want to take her 2015 Camry to the dealer for a ~$130 oil change, tire rotation and "air filter change" (no idea if it's engine or cabin filter), so she went to a nearby Valvoline Instant Oil Change instead. It cost her $130. On top of that, they put a 3month/3000mi sticker on her w/s. I had to talk her off the ledge with that one. They used their top of the line Valvoline synthetic supposedly, so she's good for the Toyota recommended 1yr/10K miles.

Originally Posted by KD0AXS
Originally Posted by PimTac
The instant oil change places are already offering other services. The adaptation has already begun.

https://www.vioc.com

Yep, a friend of mine is a general manager of a Jiffy Lube and they are starting to make preparations to transition some locations to what they're calling "Jiffy Lube Multicare". These locations will offer tires, brakes, etc.

https://noln.net/2018/03/01/brand-expansion-jiffy-lube-introduces-multicare/

So yeah, they do see the writing on the wall. Brakes and tires will still be in use with alternative fuels like electric and hydrogen (Toyota pet project).

Originally Posted by BossMoss

Crude oil took many years to form; the amount of energy (from sunlight) stored in crude oil will not get replaced by the formation of new crude at its current rate given how much we burn. And it's not even close. Meaning, burning crude oil for vehicle fuel is not sustainable long term.

Does anyone actually know how much Crude Oil is actually on the planet? Many believed the Wolfcamp shale was tapped-out in the 1970's.......Horizontal drilling & Hydraulic fracturing are changing what we thought we knew!!

There is a moon of one of the giant planets (saturn or jupiter) forget which one ,anyway its one big blob of hydrocarbon, the whole thing. .
How can this be?
safe to say no life existed there ever.
Hint what is one of the most common atoms in the universe?

Originally Posted by honeeagle
There is a moon of one of the giant planets (saturn or jupiter) forget which one ,anyway its one big blob of hydrocarbon, the whole thing. .
How can this be?
safe to say no life existed there ever.
Hint what is one of the most common atoms in the universe?

Hydrocarbons don't only come from complex organics but once you get past methane (which is what is mostly on Titan) you are going to find them mostly in trace amounts. The sheer volume of crude oil buried deep in the earth is geologically and chemically nothing like what is located extraterrestrialy.

Last edited:
For the foreseeable future, the quick oil change business will continue as it long has.
Cheaper and faster than the dealer and often conveniently located near shopping.
The sales of IC powered vehicles needing oil changes remain robust and will continue thus for decades to come while the proportion of owners who do this simple task themselves continues to decline.

Quick lube places will work exactly the same in the future. Unsuspecting sap drops in for a simple dilithium crystal change, finds himself sitting in the airlock reading three year old photon laser e-mags. The tech comes out and says crystal change was no problem. However, the warp drive filter is looking pretty rough. If it doesn't get changed right this very minute, it will cause the vehicle to fire all of its guns at once and explode into space. In reality, this vehicle doesn't have a warp drive filter.

Quick Lubes will thrive in the future. With all the DI engines out there producing lots of "fine soot" that is known to affect cam chain wear etc., the 3k oil change will be back with us. The law of unintended consequences? Thank you EPA!

Has anyone ever considered that the Earth continues to make crude oil? Do you think it just stopped one day and that there is a finite supply that scientists told us yrs. ago that we were running out?

A better reason they should struggle is because they often use aftermarket parts on the low end of the quality spectrum and charge as much, or more, than a dealership. My dealer changes the oil with synthetic, vacuums and dusts the mats, floor, seats, and dash, gives a complete check over sheet listing brake thickness and tire tread depth, and rotates the tires for $65.99 or, $55.99 if you have a coupon. That's like an afternoon of work if I do it myself and I'd save about $30. Plus they caught a leaky water pump a few months ago on the wife's car. And it wasn't a scam. Because I said, "I haven't noticed significant coolant loss, only a couple cups every few thousand, so I'll wait on the repair." And it got worse and worse and worse until, magically, it pretty much vomited coolant during even short trips from the timing belt cover area. New water pump and doesn't do it any more!

Plus after waiting in line it's like a 30 minute+ process. I can eat cookies, bananas, and granola bars at the dealer and have soda, water, or coffee while watching something on TV that some other customer thinks if interesting, like CSPAN.

Originally Posted by loneryder
Has anyone ever considered that the Earth continues to make crude oil? Do you think it just stopped one day and that there is a finite supply that scientists told us yrs. ago that we were running out?

If you take enough science courses, you can calculate how much light energy the Earth receives in 24 hours.

The amount of energy released by burning crude oil we use in 24 hours is much greater than the amount of energy the sun gives to the Earth in the same length of time.

Originally Posted by BossMoss
Originally Posted by loneryder

If you take enough science courses, you can calculate how much light energy the Earth receives in 24 hours.

The amount of energy released by burning crude oil we use in 24 hours is much greater than the amount of energy the sun gives to the Earth in the same length of time.

I have seen a whole very, very large area of trees all cut down ... To put up stupid solar panels... That is just hard to understand. Seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back