Five Euro Car Myths?

Euro cars peaked in the 80s and 90s. Stuff was made of METAL and made well. Slowly plastic made its way into cooling systems, induction systems, and a zillion timing chains running all kinds of balance shafts...oh an how many ball joints can we fit into a suspension? I know! 8 in the front, and another 4 in the back! So that's 12 in one vehicle!!! Yes!!

My 80s VWs had 2 ball joints, 1 timing belt, 0 rocker arms, 0 timing chains, heavy stamped steel oil pans, handled great and got a minimum of 35 mpg on cheap (87) gas. What more could you ask?
My VW MkIV, despite all the complaints about it, was a good car to me. I read of some of the issues it had, but all in all, either I dodged them or as some on point out, internet amplification.

Will say, I'm bummed about VW's 1.5T. I've been looking for how to inspect their oiled timing belt (sounds oh so wrong) but not finding. Good for 120k (or 150k?) then inspect every 20k? now that seems pretty dodgy, unless if it's an easy inspection. [Going to guess, it's not an easy replacement.]

@supton

Ford has done the wet timing belt and ut hasnt worked out that well. Honda outdoor power equipment has tye wet belt....buuuut that isn't a vehicle with nowhere near the hours put on it.

Every timing belt failure from oil leaking on it just makes me more leery of the idea.

My reason for leaving Euro ownership was finding quality mechanics. Granted that applies to all OEM's.
A local independent specializes in VW and Audi. My GTI has never seen the inside of a dealership since the day in 2017 I drove it off the lot. But then, all I've needed is oil change and transmission service (DSG transmission).

A local independent specializes in VW and Audi. My GTI has never seen the inside of a dealership since the day in 2017 I drove it off the lot. But then, all I've needed is oil change and transmission service (DSG transmission).
I had a tough time letting local shops touch my diesel, what with all sorts of horror stories about mark and pray on timing belt jobs. I needed a TB every 3 years, so it was a major deal for me (100k belt, later downgraded to 80k). Thankfully when the turbo did pop I had a local guy able to do that (and the clutch); he was only 45 minutes from me, sure beat the 2+ hour drive I was doing before. [Supposedly there was a good shop closer but I wanted "the best" and was willing to drive.]

I had a tough time letting local shops touch my diesel, what with all sorts of horror stories about mark and pray on timing belt jobs. I needed a TB every 3 years, so it was a major deal for me (100k belt, later downgraded to 80k). Thankfully when the turbo did pop I had a local guy able to do that (and the clutch); he was only 45 minutes from me, sure beat the 2+ hour drive I was doing before. [Supposedly there was a good shop closer but I wanted "the best" and was willing to drive.]
Those timing belts are a pain. You have to follow the book exactly or the special alignment tools won't fit. I spent 3 hours trying to get one set right my first time. I can see why the mark and pray method would be used

Those timing belts are a pain. You have to follow the book exactly or the special alignment tools won't fit. I spent 3 hours trying to get one set right my first time. I can see why the mark and pray method would be used
Once again dumb engineering. At the shop where I used to work, I was the head gasket, timing belt, A/C, and electrical guy.

I put on lots of timing belts. Most were easy with obvious timing marks and no special tools. I have the early TDI tools, but it just got worse and worse.

The old IDI VW diesels were timed just lime their gasoline counterparts other than lining up a mark in a window on the pump.

Japanese stuff with belts, was always tye easiest. It was like they actually wanted you to change the belt.....

I guess a lot of shops would reuse bolts, or otherwise not do it right. On an interference engine that meant pulling the head to fix valves when it failed.

No love doing the belt on my 5S-FE but it clearly was a lot less work than that TDI. No need to support the engine, although the timing marks could have been done a lot better. Crank/cam locks might have been nice, VW did have that going for it.

Back