Instead of nostalgia, what do you look forward to in the future

The visual cortex of your brain isn't going to know what to make of enhanced vision and likely couldn't process it. It's already a physically huge part of the brain.

I'd like to see our next generation better versed in critical thinking. God knows the adults are as a measure pretty terrible at it. Get people asking the right questions, and questioning motives, and they'll be able to make all the world a better place.

What about glasses or Lassicks surgery???? That is enhancing a person isn't it????

Actually, we already did that with botox, professional athletes doping, plastic surgery, wisdom teeth removal, circumcision, fluoride supplement, vaccines, sperm and egg donor screening, etc etc. We have the choice to self evolving ourself beyond reconstructive surgery or healing our wound already.

What happens now is not everyone will choose to do so, because they are worried about the risk or cost for the rewards. It could be fatal, it could be irreversible, it could harm you in the long run, it could look weird and freak people out.

In the future people will still have common sense, and if there is a hint of risk for certain operation, be it cyborg themselves (less likely) or gene therapy to enhance themselves (more likely), they will pick based on risk and reward. Amazon indigenous people pierce themselves with objects as a status symbol and human tattoo themselves, being cyborg or not is really just slightly different than making their non brain function mechanical.

Now if you start to gradually replace your brain with a chip, then how much of it has to be biological before they declare you non human? That would be an interesting debate and lawsuit.

Yeah, and for all that we've gained we've lost an equal part of ourselves.

All living things have been doing that since the beginning of time, we have been using electricity and automobile. I'm sure we are just as weird as the cyborg you are concerned about in the eyes of the Amish people.

We have also picked our spouse based on beauty (correlation to health and reproductive ability), resources (ability to feed and produce more children), instead of diversity of gene pool (tolerate a wipe out event, be it virus or environmental change like ice age). We have been picking what we want to gain (common preference in spouse) and trade it with the probability of one event that will wipe us all out.

Last edited:
I really don't look back on the past as wonderful, I've always been smart enough to recognize it for what it was.

Today is pretty darn good, and given proper effort, tomorrow could very likely be even better. I'm looking forward to moving out of South Florida, to a new home in TN on some land. I can afford it, so I'm doing it.

I'm also looking forward to a new car, for the highway trips. Maybe an interesting project or two. I prefer to dedicate my time to non pedestrian projects, and aviation propulsion is one interest.

The space plane from 2001: The Space Odyssey.

I look forward to a craft that can take off under its own power, like an airliner, accelerate to suborbital or even orbital velocity (I think this is around 12,000-17,000 MPH), enter orbit, and then re-enter the atmosphere, and land at any airport in the world, all within less than an hour.

Yeah, I know, the Space Shuttle could do that. But I’m talking about something that would be more of a “SpaceLiner”, that would be just like an airliner, but able to fly directly into space and then return to an airport.

Just for the sake of discussion, do any of you guys think this could be built?

I think a small payload capacity model could be built. Say, 2 pilots and maybe 6 passengers. The reason I say small payload capacity is that with the mass of all the fuel you’d need to carry onboard, along with the mass of the jet engines, rocket engines, fuselage structure that would be reinforced for the Delta-P of being pressurized in a vacuum, as well as the heat shielding for re-entry, you wouldn’t have much capacity left for cargo.

You‘d need a set of jet engines that could get you up to around 50,000’ - about the limit for modern business jets. I think you’d need a system to hydraulically retract them into the fuselage. I’d think you would want enough fuel onboard for about 2 hours’ flight - enough for the ascent and then the descent phases.

Then you’d need rocket engines to take over from that point. Probably solid fuel booster units that would be discarded and later picked up and reused. An integral liquid-fueled unit would be sexier, especially if you could engineer the fuselage structure it to hold enough fuel. But that would probably be tough.

I‘d imagine this to look something like a B-70 Valkyrie, maybe.

I look forward to a craft that can take off under its own power, like an airliner, accelerate to suborbital or even orbital velocity (I think this is around 12,000-17,000 MPH), enter orbit, and then re-enter the atmosphere, and land at any airport in the world, all within less than an hour.

Yeah, I know, the Space Shuttle could do that. But I’m talking about something that would be more of a “SpaceLiner”, that would be just like an airliner, but able to fly directly into space and then return to an airport.

I think a small payload capacity model could be built. Say, 2 pilots and maybe 6 passengers. The reason I say small payload capacity is that with the mass of all the fuel you’d need to carry onboard, along with the mass of the jet engines, rocket engines, fuselage structure that would be reinforced for the Delta-P of being pressurized in a vacuum, as well as the heat shielding for re-entry, you wouldn’t have much capacity left for cargo.

You‘d need a set of jet engines that could get you up to around 50,000’ - about the limit for modern business jets. I think you’d need a system to hydraulically retract them into the fuselage. I’d think you would want enough fuel onboard for about 2 hours’ flight - enough for the ascent and then the descent phases.

Then you’d need rocket engines to take over from that point. Probably solid fuel booster units that would be discarded and later picked up and reused. An integral liquid-fueled unit would be sexier, especially if you could engineer the fuselage structure it to hold enough fuel. But that would probably be tough.

I‘d imagine this to look something like a B-70 Valkyrie, maybe.
While it's nice in theory, you have to remember why the Concorde failed and nothing replaced it. There's a certain number of people willing to pay for it, but is that enough for a long term business? Concorde said no. With Zoom, do you need to be somewhere in the world in 2 hours?

I used to regret past and worry about future. Then realized living today is most important focus to stay happy.
Yep. Never dwell on the past, it will drive you crazy.

Taking it day by day is best. Worrying about the future on causes me anxiety.

While it's nice in theory, you have to remember why the Concorde failed and nothing replaced it. There's a certain number of people willing to pay for it, but is that enough for a long term business? Concorde said no. With Zoom, do you need to be somewhere in the world in 2 hours?

Yup, the value of speed increase has a diminishing return. Going from on foot to horses and ships are great, going from ship to airplane is great, going from 747 to concord or private jet not too much. If you need fast there is nothing faster than remote control, delegation to people there, or video conferences.

There will still be travel but not something ridiculously expensive for ridiculous speed.

The bartender says “ we don’t serve time travellers here.” A time traveler walks in a bar. :p
Stephen Hawking had a party for time travelers once. He posted the time and location of the party afterwards. No one showed up.

I like exploring: such as walking a trail that I have never been on before and finding out what is along the trail, or around the next bend, or what plants or animals are in the area as I walk. Or sailing or cannoning a lake I have never been on and seeing what the next section of shore line has, or what lives in that area. It may sound corny but it is nice when the boat you are on is quiet and does not disturb the wild-life and you get to see the wild life when you get there. It may be slower to walk a trail than to zip through it on a mountain bike, but you can see things that would of been missed if you just zoomed by. And even when I walk a trail I have been on before, often there is new wildlife to see that was not there before.

Attachments

• 20200817_190416.jpg
    20200817_190416.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 5

Not in the conventional sense. Single stage to orbit is exceedingly difficult.

there is one engine design that combines operational aspects of gas turbines (breathing air) and rockets. It may make for a better ultra high altitude transport.

Back