Instead of nostalgia, what do you look forward to in the future

So part human, part robot/AI is perfectly fine for you? Well it's not for me. I don't look forward to technology outpacing humanism.

Why don't we all just lay in chairs, put on virtual reality headsets, and feel like we live any life we want. If it felt exactly like the real thing, and you couldn't tell the difference, why live a real life at all then?

Actually, it is a philosophical question that nobody could answer. How do you prove that you are really not just a brain in a jar in a lab with electrode hooked up so good you can't tell.

If he's like my supervisor, what his life is, is WAY better, if he qualifies as 'part machine' or part robot. He had brain electrodes implanted and wires run down his neck to a pacemaker in his chest, which is then controlled by a Bluetooth unit he holds up to his chest to increase or decrease electrical stimulation, all to control his Parkinsons. Stuff that would have been science fiction in 1950. Now instead of walking into walls, stumbling everywhere he walked, losing his balance and talking too slow and stuttered you could barely make out what he is saying, which pretty much sums up his life six months ago, he drives himself to work, holds normal conversations, works on his cars, and takes care of 5+ acres while building an addition to his house. Without that machine in his head and chest he'd be done in about 2-3 years. With it, he's good for another 10+ years, maybe more. Why anyone would see that as a bad thing, I have no idea.

We all see that as bad things until one day it is us who need it personally, or someone dear to us who need it personally. This is not just human machine integration, but also life support on vegetative states, etc.

I look forward to a time when people can treat change for what it is and not like it is the end of humanity/life/existence/morality/etc.

So part human, part robot/AI is perfectly fine for you? Well it's not for me. I don't look forward to technology outpacing humanism.

Why don't we all just lay in chairs, put on virtual reality headsets, and feel like we live any life we want. If it felt exactly like the real thing, and you couldn't tell the difference, why live a real life at all then?
You place too high a value on humanism. I'm not even sure what that means. We've always had enhancements, first you tilled the fields by hand, and now you have machines, with AI, you probably don't even have to set foot in the fields and the machines could do it all for you. Did you want to throw that all away and starve?

Some people already do that, some people play games all the time and people pay them so they can watch. The future is closer than you think.

I also never said whether it was fine or not, just wondering about the big judgement against it. As mentioned earlier some of the things you decry are already here. You never mentioned your take on how artificial leg prosthetics allow people to actually run faster. There's a big issue now with sneakers, Nike has sneakers that make you 2-4% faster. If you're running a marathon, that adds up to several minutes.

Actually, it is a philosophical question that nobody could answer. How do you prove that you are really not just a brain in a jar in a lab with electrode hooked up so good you can't tell.
Probably due to the quantum hall effect. Basically there are problems that are so complex that you would need more matter than exists in the entire universe to build a computer which could model it and that happens with just a few hundred particles. Basically each additional particular increases the difficultly exponentially.

You place too high a value on humanism. I'm not even sure what that means. We've always had enhancements, first you tilled the fields by hand, and now you have machines, with AI, you probably don't even have to set foot in the fields and the machines could do it all for you. Did you want to throw that all away and starve?

Some people already do that, some people play games all the time and people pay them so they can watch. The future is closer than you think.

I also never said whether it was fine or not, just wondering about the big judgement against it. As mentioned earlier some of the things you decry are already here. You never mentioned your take on how artificial leg prosthetics allow people to actually run faster. There's a big issue now with sneakers, Nike has sneakers that make you 2-4% faster. If you're running a marathon, that adds up to several minutes.

Minor stuff in the big picture. When man meets machine, and is eventually replaced by it. Sure, we used machines in the past to overcome menial tasks. But wait till it takes over everything else.

Real AI will be the end of humanity.

Boy if I had a nickel for everyone who predicted doomsday, I'd have a lot of nickels!

Did you watch Westworld Season 3? The robots were trying to end humanity. The way the show was set up, I was kinda cheering for the robots.

These violent delights have violent ends.

Dunno if it will be AI, nuclear holocaust, global pandemic, climate change or who knows... Name your poison.
The earth was here long before man and will be here long after we are gone.
Every product has a lifespan. Except maybe cockroaches?

Dunno if it will be AI, nuclear holocaust, global pandemic, climate change or who knows... Name your poison.
The earth was here long before man and will be here long after we are gone.
Every product has a lifespan. Except maybe cockroaches?
Actually the earth will only be around for a few billion more years. Maybe around 5.4 billion years when the sun turns into a red giant and expands to about Earth's orbit. But in about a billion years, the output of the sun will increase to such a point that all the oceans will boil off so we don't have as much time as we think. Of course there's the eventual heat death of the universe in about 10 to the 1000 years. When that happens, there won't be any energy left to even measure time so when you say what happens afterwards, there is no afterwards, just no energy. In about 10 to the 100 years even the most massive black holes will disappear if Hawking radiation is correct. But it will be dark much sooner, star formation would stop after about 100 trillion years which is about 10 to the 14.

The point is all current prosthetics are meant to restore some functionality that the person lost. They're not meant to enhance.

My point is that when the technology becomes so good that people with perfectly normal, functioning parts start enhancing themselves.

What about glasses or Lassicks surgery???? That is enhancing a person isn't it????

Back