2020 Toyota Tundra 1794 Edition CrewMax Review

Messages
786
Location
MA
Originally Posted by littlehulkster
Originally Posted by oilpsi2high
Oh wow, I didn't think this would even get to 6 pages! So I've been in the market for a 1/2 ton for a while now. Toyota just isn't putting the cash on the hood of these trucks, mainly due to low inventory. Here's what I wanted to get: [Linked Image] The best price I could get on that truck, a 2020 Tundra SR5 Double Cab 4x4 here in Albany NY, was $ 41,000 + TTL. By comparison, I've seen RAM 1500 Big Horn Double Cabs advertised for significantly less. I had a local dealer down to $ 35,000 + TTL on a black 2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn Quad Cab 4x4 with the Hemi. Sticker was $ 45,000. The same deals can be had on GM trucks. I haven't shopped Nissan in a while, so I am not sure what they are doing for incentives right now. In that case, it doesn't make sense to pay a six thousand dollar premium for the Toyota, because you can blow up the engine at least once in the Ram and Chevy, and still come out ahead price-wise. Toyota is still the best for Depreciation, but it's not six thousand dollars worth of a difference. I still think the Tundra 1794 Edition is the best truck for the money if your budget is $ 50,000. smile The interior really is that good. Everyone I had in that truck was blown away by it, and didn't even know Toyota made a luxury version of the Tundra. If your dealer has one, I urge you to check it out in person if you are curious. The pictures don't really do it justice.
Yeah, that's the problem with Toyota trucks. The dealers don't have to budge on prices. They know they will sell that pickup at sticker. TBF, while I still stand by everything I said before, I don't know if they're really worth the money as it is now. The platform is reliable, but very dated. Although I kind of take the line that none of the half tons are worth what they're charging, but it seems very few agree as well as they sell.
My 2020 Platinum is about $55K MSRP and I got it for $46.5K in February with approximately 3 emails.
 
Messages
5,754
Location
the canyons
Originally Posted by Astro14
Thank you 02SE. My mistake.
No worries. In retrospect, my reply might have sounded a bit terse. That wasn't my intention. I was in a hurry, and just replied a bit too succinctly. Sorry about that.
 
Messages
602
Location
The ATL
Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by PowerSurge
Do some research on how well the Tundras hold their value on the used market. And I'm talking actual prices, not any of that kbb.com bull. They're bought and paid for. That extra cash that the other makes throw in at the sale dwindles away to nothing in just a few years.
So your saying that buyers of used Tundras pay over book for used ones? Is that what you are saying? Sure would like to see some links on this. Looking on KBB.com (which you seem want to discredit) there is a $2,000 difference (trade in value) in a 2016 model year Tundra SR5 compared to a Silverado LT (both priced with standard equipment). I'm guessing when bought new there is at least a five thousand spread on these-at least. The misinformation about quality, resale value and the like on this board about Toyotas are worse and even more far-flung than the comments about Michelin tires or Crown Vics......
KBB does not represent what vehicles ACTUALLY sell for in an area and they are bought and paid for by the auto dealers. Look it up. They are WAY off in my area when it comes to pickups. Trade in value isn't what they actually sell used retail for either. All of this isn't a revelation to those of us that have worked in the industry.
 

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Messages
46,043
Location
Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by oilpsi2high
Oh wow, I didn't think this would even get to 6 pages! So I've been in the market for a 1/2 ton for a while now. Toyota just isn't putting the cash on the hood of these trucks, mainly due to low inventory. Here's what I wanted to get: [Linked Image] The best price I could get on that truck, a 2020 Tundra SR5 Double Cab 4x4 here in Albany NY, was $ 41,000 + TTL. By comparison, I've seen RAM 1500 Big Horn Double Cabs advertised for significantly less. I had a local dealer down to $ 35,000 + TTL on a black 2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn Quad Cab 4x4 with the Hemi. Sticker was $ 45,000. The same deals can be had on GM trucks. I haven't shopped Nissan in a while, so I am not sure what they are doing for incentives right now. In that case, it doesn't make sense to pay a six thousand dollar premium for the Toyota, because you can blow up the engine at least once in the Ram and Chevy, and still come out ahead price-wise. Toyota is still the best for Depreciation, but it's not six thousand dollars worth of a difference. I still think the Tundra 1794 Edition is the best truck for the money if your budget is $ 50,000. smile The interior really is that good. Everyone I had in that truck was blown away by it, and didn't even know Toyota made a luxury version of the Tundra. If your dealer has one, I urge you to check it out in person if you are curious. The pictures don't really do it justice.
Oh those American prices! This is the window sticker from my wife's truck: [Linked Image]
 

CKN

Messages
6,438
Location
Utah
Originally Posted by PowerSurge
Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by PowerSurge
Do some research on how well the Tundras hold their value on the used market. And I'm talking actual prices, not any of that kbb.com bull. They're bought and paid for. That extra cash that the other makes throw in at the sale dwindles away to nothing in just a few years.
So your saying that buyers of used Tundras pay over book for used ones? Is that what you are saying? Sure would like to see some links on this. Looking on KBB.com (which you seem want to discredit) there is a $2,000 difference (trade in value) in a 2016 model year Tundra SR5 compared to a Silverado LT (both priced with standard equipment). I'm guessing when bought new there is at least a five thousand spread on these-at least. The misinformation about quality, resale value and the like on this board about Toyotas are worse and even more far-flung than the comments about Michelin tires or Crown Vics......
KBB does not represent what vehicles ACTUALLY sell for in an area and they are bought and paid for by the auto dealers. Look it up. They are WAY off in my area when it comes to pickups. Trade in value isn't what they actually sell used retail for either. All of this isn't a revelation to those of us that have worked in the industry.
Try financing with a bank for more than retail Bluebook-that's reality.
 
Messages
4,108
Location
Central Virginia
Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by PowerSurge
Do some research on how well the Tundras hold their value on the used market. And I'm talking actual prices, not any of that kbb.com bull. They're bought and paid for. That extra cash that the other makes throw in at the sale dwindles away to nothing in just a few years.
So your saying that buyers of used Tundras pay over book for used ones? Is that what you are saying? Sure would like to see some links on this. Looking on KBB.com (which you seem want to discredit) there is a $2,000 difference (trade in value) in a 2016 model year Tundra SR5 compared to a Silverado LT (both priced with standard equipment). I'm guessing when bought new there is at least a five thousand spread on these-at least. The misinformation about quality, resale value and the like on this board about Toyotas are worse and even more far-flung than the comments about Michelin tires or Crown Vics......
Except the Crown Vic actually is a really nice car lol.
 
Messages
296
Location
iowa
^^^yep June of last year will probably go down in history as the best time to buy a ram. easy 20%+off....fca was trying to take the #1 slot (in sales) over ford. didn't quite do it but came close....
 
Messages
237
Location
Augusta, Ga
Originally Posted by earthbound
^^^yep June of last year will probably go down in history as the best time to buy a ram. easy 20%+off....fca was trying to take the #1 slot (in sales) over ford. didn't quite do it but came close....
That's when I bought mine, got it for 32% off sticker.
 
Messages
680
Location
CA
Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by PowerSurge
Do some research on how well the Tundras hold their value on the used market. And I'm talking actual prices, not any of that kbb.com bull. They're bought and paid for. That extra cash that the other makes throw in at the sale dwindles away to nothing in just a few years.
So your saying that buyers of used Tundras pay over book for used ones? Is that what you are saying? Sure would like to see some links on this. Looking on KBB.com (which you seem want to discredit) there is a $2,000 difference (trade in value) in a 2016 model year Tundra SR5 compared to a Silverado LT (both priced with standard equipment). I'm guessing when bought new there is at least a five thousand spread on these-at least. The misinformation about quality, resale value and the like on this board about Toyotas are worse and even more far-flung than the comments about Michelin tires or Crown Vics......
Much like Toyota's, you'll pay for Michelin's. The resale myth on Toyota's and diesel trucks is laughable. If you are paying A higher price up front you don't get to claim A higher resale on the back end compared to a truck someone paid LESS for up front. Beyond that, sale price is determined by market, most trucks will price out similar.
 
Messages
3,031
Location
Florida
You may find a search to be your friend: https://www.autoblog.com/photos/pickup-trucks-ranked-by-resale-value/#slide-2186797 The above link reflects depreciation percent. It looks to me like the highest resale is the Tundra and the Tacoma as the percentage is lower. I have also tested this in real world as attempting to buy new and used. Nevertheless, people will continue to believe whatever and if you say something enough they will. So like the side mirror says "Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear".
 

CKN

Messages
6,438
Location
Utah
Originally Posted by Amkeer
You may find a search to be your friend: https://www.autoblog.com/photos/pickup-trucks-ranked-by-resale-value/#slide-2186797 The above link reflects depreciation percent. It looks to me like the highest resale is the Tundra and the Tacoma as the percentage is lower. I have also tested this in real world as attempting to buy new and used. Nevertheless, people will continue to believe whatever and if you say something enough they will. So like the side mirror says "Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear".
SO YOU HAVE TRIED TO BUY EVERY PICKUP LISTED-NEW AND USED? Also-the article is mixing up small pickups and large pickups. Also-stated in the comments someone says this isn't actual Sales Prices. If you take out the "small pickups"-as I stated the Silverado falls right after the Tundra. This is a poorly written article BTW.
 
Last edited:
Messages
482
Location
USA
I don’t own a Tundra but would consider one. I own an F 150. I don’t think the transmission being dated is causing all the lower MPG numbers. It is likely a lower rear end gear for towing with the 5.7. There are times I wished I had gotten the Toyota.
 
Messages
17,916
Location
NH
I don’t own a Tundra but would consider one. I own an F 150. I don’t think the transmission being dated is causing all the lower MPG numbers. It is likely a lower rear end gear for towing with the 5.7. There are times I wished I had gotten the Toyota.
Perhaps, but it's the overall final drive ratio that matters. Toyota uses a pretty steep 6th gear which knocks down cruise RPM. Maybe it's not enough--but one cannot just fixate on rear end ratio anymore.
 
Messages
6,725
Location
Los Gatos, CA
Enjoy your beautiful truck. I preder old trucks, cuz when I scratch 'em it ain't no big deal.
We have too many cars. The Tundra seems to get the most attention; "How much you askin'?"
It ain't for sale.
 

CKN

Messages
6,438
Location
Utah
Perhaps, but it's the overall final drive ratio that matters. Toyota uses a pretty steep 6th gear which knocks down cruise RPM. Maybe it's not enough--but one cannot just fixate on rear end ratio anymore.

It's extremely difficult to hit-or even break 20mpg in a Tundra on the highway for what ever reasons. The Silverado and F150 can do it all day long. Not sure about if hemi in the RAM can-maybe an owner can chime in.
 

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Messages
46,043
Location
Ontario, Canada
It's extremely difficult to hit-or even break 20mpg in a Tundra on the highway for what ever reasons. The Silverado and F150 can do it all day long. Not sure about if hemi in the RAM can-maybe an owner can chime in.

Yes, it can, in steady-state driving.
 
  • Like
Reactions: CKN
Messages
17,916
Location
NH
It's extremely difficult to hit-or even break 20mpg in a Tundra on the highway for what ever reasons. The Silverado and F150 can do it all day long. Not sure about if hemi in the RAM can-maybe an owner can chime in.
One summer I used to 20mpg in my Tundra, albeit it is the 4.6 with a slightly taller FD (4.10's in my pumpkins vs the 4.30's that the 5.7's run). "Skinny" LTX MS2's at 255 with for tires and avoiding the highway, so as to stay on the 50-55mph backroads. Not truly hypermiling, no pulse and glide, but I would coast to a stop and bump my speed at the bottom of a hill while letting it drop as I crested. I had like three tanks of 21.7mpg in a row followed by 22mpg.

Then cooler weather hit, along with snow tires, and a complete sense of boredom. [Not sure why but I can't post smilie faces?] With no highway driving, just backroads driving with some 50mph jaunts, mine is at 16mpg. Nothing to write home about, but since I put in gas like every other month, not exactly chief of my problems at the moment. Seems like it has been at 16mpg for the last few years, regardless of weather, but I don't have any city driving to deal with either.
 
Messages
23,886
Location
CA
It's extremely difficult to hit-or even break 20mpg in a Tundra on the highway for what ever reasons. The Silverado and F150 can do it all day long. Not sure about if hemi in the RAM can-maybe an owner can chime in.
19-20 is easy in mixed driving. Pure highway can get me 22-23 as long as I stay within 5 mph of the speed limit, but I do have the 3.21 gears.
 

CKN

Messages
6,438
Location
Utah
19-20 is easy in mixed driving. Pure highway can get me 22-23 as long as I stay within 5 mph of the speed limit, but I do have the 3.21 gears.

Yep-Silverado can get 25-probably because of cylinder deactivation. My best was 33 mpg( over 50 miles) coming down from Yellowstone in to Cody, WY, which was 33 mpg. And yes it was downhill. Also-I do agree if you get past 70mpg the mpg takes a nosedive.
 
Top