Why Did Mobil 1 Fail?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amsoil is reformulating as we speak to a more modern additive technology (always a bit behind Mobil 1) and you'll likely see an increase in price.

The market will determine the price of the M1 AP. It's not settled yet.

Maybe car manufactures will pick up AP and then brag about even less maintenance lol....

The 5 qt AP jug was about $35 at our local Wal*Marts, while M1 0/40 is $22.88. Seems like an easy choice to me.

Originally Posted By: Win
The 5 qt AP jug was about $35 at our local Wal*Marts, while M1 0/40 is $22.88. Seems like an easy choice to me.

It is still $50 as of Saturday at my Walmart.

Originally Posted By: John_K
2) Mobil 1 Extended Performance, which offered a 15,000-mile guarantee, was already at the industry's sweet spot. Nobody wanted to pay double for an extra 5,000 miles.

Exactly.

Yup - this.

Plain and simple the value proposition isn't there.

2 of the other 15K formulations gets you 30K for the same price. Its not even close.

Make it 20% more for 5K more miles and its a slam dunk.

UD

It only failed at 2X the price of the 15K formula.

They'll tweak it down after losing the delusion of grandeur some internal department sold them on spending the money to formulate it.

Over time they'll make it work. Many marketing depts shoot for the stars at launch - but settle for low earth orbit.

Well get affordable superb product in time from this.

UD

Always found it odd that WM did a rollback on EP when they put AP on the shelf. I have bought 4 jugs EP since then.
I think it will move around $29.97 myself (I'll buy then) ... the 15k or 20k ain't my cup of tea anyway

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Always found it odd that WM did a rollback on EP when they put AP on the shelf. I have bought 4 jugs EP since then.
I think it will move around $29.97 myself (I'll buy then) ... the 15k or 20k ain't my cup of tea anyway

Agreed. In the meantime I will keep using Mobil 1 EP. I also don't go over 6-7000 miles on an oil change so EP has plenty of "cushion" for me with 15,000 miles of protection and at less cost.

One thing I notice about this Annual Protection oil is that based on certification numbers, it is the only oil that Wal-Mart sells that meets the 2nd generation DEXOS specification. All of the other oils carry the certification number of the 1st generation DEXOS spec.

While it's very expensive, the Annual Protection oil is obviously a very high quality product.

I will use it if it drops down to the $28-$30 range.

Typical oil filters won't go 20k miles. So if you're going to crawl under car to change the filter might as well do the oil as well.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
One thing I notice about this Annual Protection oil is that based on certification numbers, it is the only oil that Wal-Mart sells that meets the 2nd generation DEXOS specification. All of the other oils carry the certification number of the 1st generation DEXOS spec.

While it's very expensive, the Annual Protection oil is obviously a very high quality product.

I will use it if it drops down to the $28-$30 range.
High quality in what way? Where is the proof. In someused Top of the line Amsoil does't last up to the max miles claimed. Mobil products aretop quality.

You say M1 failed. In 1978 when I first started using M1 5-20(only wt they had) Almost no one was going to pay $5 a qt when dino was 45 cents a qt. You young guys today are spoiled.

Mobil like Amsoil just blows their horn!! whats in it some or more PAO, maybe a bit of Ester, possibly just more additives, Mobil produces it all!! when group III refined CRUDE oils became legally "synthetic" the door opened for all to use the cheaper base oils + it clouded the meaning of what was a premium blend of PAO + Ester in the past!! IMO

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: benjy
Mobil like Amsoil just blows their horn!! whats in it some or more PAO, maybe a bit of Ester, possibly just more additives, Mobil produces it all!! when group III refined CRUDE oils became legally "synthetic" the door opened for all to use the cheaper base oils + it clouded the meaning of what was a premium blend of PAO + Ester in the past!! IMO

When were they illegally synthetic?

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Typical oil filters won't go 20k miles. So if you're going to crawl under car to change the filter might as well do the oil as well.

Sure they will. Honda specs changing the filter only every second oil change, and that can be 40k km.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Yet the same people who make fun of this oil will go out and buy Specialty oil like Harley Davidson, Polaris or Triumph oil for even more rediculas prices.
Triumph oil for my bike was $70 a gallon, so in went Quicksilver from Walmart and a Fram oil filter.

Or they spent $1.6 million for a 1965 Ferrari 275 GTB long nose, and have more money than sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back