Why Did Mobil 1 Fail?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My problem is how does any one know if the oil will hold up? What magic does the oil have as compared to other M1 offerings. Lots of money with little or no verifiable advantages. Probably 75 of the people running Amsoil do not run it out to the limit.

AP is being cannibalized by EP, it's 75% as good for half the price. EP=better value.

Even 15K is a long time between oil changes, I don't think there's that kind of value going to 20K under most circumstances. To make that extra 5K worth it you'd have to be one of those people that drive 50,000 miles a year and have zero time for oil changes. But then you'd probably get your syn at a quick change anyway if you had that little time.

There's the other factor with so many DI cars out there now, the fuel dilution calls for changes more often, not less often. I would not trust any oil for 20K in my Sonata. Maybe unicorn nectar, but nothing else.

XOM didn't get to where they are being stupid. I'm sure they have a trick or two more up their sleeves before they scuttle the product. Even if they did screw up, AP makes up such a small % if their overall sales, that canning it probably amounts to a loss the size of buying the top brass coffee each morning for a month. No biggie!

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
XOM didn't get to where they are being stupid. I'm sure they have a trick or two more up their sleeves before they scuttle the product. Even if they did screw up, AP makes up such a small % if their overall sales, that canning it probably amounts to a loss the size of buying the top brass coffee each morning for a month. No biggie!

Maybe, but this was quite the stinker for them....

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Maybe, but this was quite the stinker for them....

Every company that I can think of had a stinker. This one in the grand scheme of things will probably amount to chump change, even if it is a total flop. This one was an easy call though, even before the release. I wonder what they were thinking? Next time they should ask Bitog first.........
wink.gif

Not much data from uoa's, little use by anyone here, yet it's a failure? How about innocent until proven guilty??

The article had 2 huge gleaming errors right from the start.....there was NO Z06 Corvette in 1993 and GM started using Mobil 1 in the Corvette starting in 1992 with the LT1 motor introduction.

Exactly!
XOM is big enough to absorb what might or might not prove to be a product intro failure.
OTOH, the M1 marketers might reposition this oil at a lower price point and it could still do well.
XOM took no real risks with the AP product, but you also have to ask yourself when an M1 brand extension just faded away.
They don't and AP won't either.
Although it may achieve low volume, it probably also has huge margins. It can't cost all that much more to blend than does any other M1 flavor.

Originally Posted By: walterjay
Originally Posted By: Panzerman
People with warranties can't use it. Motorheads can't wait a entire year and people with junkers won't pay that.
The synthetic oil market is flooded.

You hit the nail on the head
With my Gen Coupe on M1 0w40 it's a once a year change, ~5k mile OCI, on my Accent with M1 5w30 HM it's every 10k miles.

No need for anything that cost more for me than they do at around $23 a jug and a $12 rebate.

There's an AAP here that still has it for $59.99 a jug, and 16.99 a quart! They haven't sold a bottle, AFAIK. The only times I hear anyone mention it, they're laughing about it.

Yet the same people who make fun of this oil will go out and buy Specialty oil like Harley Davidson, Polaris or Triumph oil for even more rediculas prices.
Triumph oil for my bike was $70 a gallon, so in went Quicksilver from Walmart and a Fram oil filter.

"Mobil 1
Mobil 1 Annual Protection has been formulated to be the top performer in the Mobil 1 line, offering our longest guaranteed engine protection of 1 year or 20,000 miles, whichever comes first, which is 5000 miles beyond the level guaranteed by Mobil 1 Extended Performance. While this may not initially sound like a significant increase, the overall performance increase required of an engine oil to go from 15,000 mile to 20,000 mile oil change intervals is very challenging. The development of Mobil 1 Annual Protection necessitated a new ultimate synthetic engine oil, formulated with specially selected synthetic base stocks combined with an additive boost to resist oil breakdown and provide unsurpassed wear protection. This high performance formulation not only provides outstanding engine protection for 1 year or 20,000 miles, it also provides excellent protection in severe operating conditions like towing/hauling, hot stop ‘n go city driving and turbo charged engines. When you select Mobil 1 Annual Protection, you’re selecting our best and can count on our highest level of overall protection"

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Yet the same people who make fun of this oil will go out and buy Specialty oil like Harley Davidson, Polaris or Triumph oil for even more rediculas prices.
Triumph oil for my bike was $70 a gallon, so in went Quicksilver from Walmart and a Fram oil filter.

Right lol

The truth of the matter is the product didn't fail yet. So we might be a little harsh, quick to judge. When WMT blows it out at reduced prices, and doesn't get it back in stock, the TV ads stop, and the product falls into the Abyss, then it's safe to say the product failed. At the moment, lets say it's flopping........But there's hope! I like XOM, I hope they get this sorted, but it's not looking too good at the moment, stay tuned.

2) Mobil 1 Extended Performance, which offered a 15,000-mile guarantee, was already at the industry's sweet spot. Nobody wanted to pay double for an extra 5,000 miles.

Exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back