Why Did Mobil 1 Fail?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: benjy
Mobil like Amsoil just blows their horn!! whats in it some or more PAO, maybe a bit of Ester, possibly just more additives, Mobil produces it all!! when group III refined CRUDE oils became legally "synthetic" the door opened for all to use the cheaper base oils + it clouded the meaning of what was a premium blend of PAO + Ester in the past!! IMO

When were they illegally synthetic?

Maybe undocumented but never illegal!

I never understood the theory behind annual oil anyway...any synthetic is good for a year...

Originally Posted By: grampi
I never understood the theory behind annual oil anyway...any synthetic is good for a year...

What if you drive 30K a year?

Originally Posted By: tig1

Then you change the oil a few times.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: tig1

Then you change the oil a few times.

You are correct!!

I never understood why Mobil 1 doesn't have the Chrysler MS-6395 spec approval but their lower cost/non-existent "Super Synthetic" does. In fact if you use the Mobil web site to determine the proper oil to use for a Ram 1500 5.7L, they only recommend the 5w-20 "Super Synthetic".

Strange.

Originally Posted By: ChesterCopperpot
I never understood why Mobil 1 doesn't have the Chrysler MS-6395 spec approval but their lower cost/non-existent "Super Synthetic" does. In fact if you use the Mobil web site to determine the proper oil to use for a Ram 1500 5.7L, they only recommend the 5w-20 "Super Synthetic".

Strange.

IIRC, this was part of the fallout from the FIAT acquisition of Chrysler. Pennzoil (FIAT's supplier) took over for Mobil as the FF and Service Fill and Mobil was NOT happy about the sudden termination of the contract.

Overnight the FF and Service Fill for SRT vehicles went from M1 0w-40 to a new "spec" 0w-40, which was honoured exclusively by the Pennzoil SRT formula. That is still the case. However companies like Castrol seem to not care and are recommending their Euro 0w-40 as an alternative, despite lacking formal approval.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Mobil like Amsoil just blows their horn!! whats in it some or more PAO, maybe a bit of Ester, possibly just more additives, Mobil produces it all!! when group III refined CRUDE oils became legally "synthetic" the door opened for all to use the cheaper base oils + it clouded the meaning of what was a premium blend of PAO + Ester in the past!! IMO

Maybe unethical, but evidently not illegal

Anyone here go to fancy restaurants and buy a bottle (or 2) of wine for the dinner? (I didn't think so LOL). If you are ordering the wine, especially if more than 2 people, you don't want to appear to be a cheapskate. So the restaurant has a mega expensive wine at the top of the list. The next one down appears to be a bargain, compared to the most expensive. The next one after that is something you can buy at your local grocery store for 1/10 the price. So, you order the one in the middle. Guess what? It has the highest mark up, and is the most disappointing. Maybe AP has no intention of selling a bunch, they just want to make EP look more reasonable.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

And an ILSAC 30 being primarily PAO and/or esters (aside from certain long drain applications) is about as necessary as an elephant gun to shoot coyotes.
wink.gif

Guess this thread is the AP … very much a long drain … the most common complaints seem to be price (self included)

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Guess this thread is the AP … very much a long drain … the most common complaints seem to be price (self included)
Still near $40 at my local walmart.

Might have a run at $34.99 … see EP creeping up so closing the gap might be a strategy (did not say good strategy)

EP was $29 for a good while and I bought it then

It's not that easy to sell, "Once A Year" oil changes to guys who drive a lot and change their own oil. Or shade tree mechanics in general. I drive very little, and would never go an entire year without an oil change. I don't care what the bottle said. Not to mention I'm sure not going to pay what they're asking, so I can do it.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Why wouldn't you go annual even when there's overwhelming evidence that Annual is fine ?

People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe.

- A. Rooney

Yes, filtration is he weak link. The only way to get the dirt (20 micros & smaller) out of the oil is to change it. Impossible to have good filtration with a full-flow oil filter and run the filter 20,000 miles. ‘Good filtration’ would be a filter to 10 micros. Today’s filters are about 20-23 micros.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back