Does mobil 1 Advanced clean as good as it did years ago?

Hi all! As title says,does Mobil 1 clean as good as it once did? I do know now,its changed.its a group 3 severely Hydro cracked oil now,not a true synthetic. Back 2005 I used it on a 95 neon beater I had. Within a very short time, it did clean.a puddle of fresh oil under car.it cleaned out the rear main seal. Had it replaced. It was far as I know a true synthetic back then.
Does Mobil advanced still clean as good today?
I see Mobil extra protection.I believe hat is mobile true synthetic.they downgraded advanced too replace it with EP.

Hi all! As title says,does Mobil 1 clean as good as it once did? I do know now,its changed.its a group 3 severely Hydro cracked oil now,not a true synthetic. Back 2005 I used it on a 95 neon beater I had. Within a very short time, it did clean.a puddle of fresh oil under car.it cleaned out the rear main seal. Had it replaced. It was far as I know a true synthetic back then.
Does Mobil advanced still clean as good today?
I see Mobil extra protection.I believe hat is mobile true synthetic.they downgraded advanced too replace it with EP.
PAO is not a cleaner, and neither is Group III. Both have been used as the majority bases in Mobil 1 over many years and their quantities vary depending on the oil in question and what iteration it is.

The cleaning function is provided by AN's and esters. The original Mobil Tri-Syn formula had both. Mobil doesn't seem to have much ester content in their current oils with the exception of the FS 0W-40, which was advertised as being able to clean. That oil appears to have been transitioned from esters to AN's now (which can also clean).

So, short answer: it depends on the grade, but if you want a Mobil 1 product that cleans, the FS 0W-40 is your best bet.

I'm sure its still got enough AN's to do what it did before. Though if it's old baked on sludge it wont flush it out. If it's soft newly made sludge just about anything will wash it away.

PAO is not a cleaner, and neither is Group III. Both have been used as the majority bases in Mobil 1 over many years and their quantities vary depending on the oil in question and what iteration it is.

The cleaning function is provided by AN's and esters. The original Mobil Tri-Syn formula had both. Mobil doesn't seem to have much ester content in their current oils with the exception of the FS 0W-40, which was advertised as being able to clean. That oil appears to have been transitioned from esters to AN's now (which can also clean).

So, short answer: it depends on the grade, but if you want a Mobil 1 product that cleans, the FS 0W-40 is your best bet.
According to mobil1.com website, the latest iteration of Mobil 1 Truck & SUV, in 5w-30 grade only, has a notably higher flashpoint (261 degrees C) than other viscosities of this line or other Mobil 1 variants. Assuming the spec isn't a typo, what if anything does that imply about the base stock being used? The FS 0w-40 you mention has a listed flashpoint of 230 degrees C, similar to other Mobil 1 variants.

What Overkill said.

It's hard to know what oils will actually "clean" vs "prevent" deposits from forming etc. Some do both well and HPL is known to also clean very well due to the select esters/ANs. Certain grades of Mobil 1 have shown they clean very well too, 0w40 being one of them. The others, not so much (SN/SN+).

The latest SP version no longer shows a spike in the oxidation figure, so my guess is they're using AN's. Verbiage remains the same in regard to cleaning.

Mobil 1 Triple Action touts keeping engines very clean. A few recent articles out of Asia in regard to the latest Triple Action (hate that name) state this formulation was born out of XOM's racing program with Redbull.

If you look at the latest VOA's of M1 Triple, it has the lowest amount of metallic additives that I've ever seen in an oil. As to what they're using is anyone's guess and likely proprietary to XOM as some of the ingredients per that video I shared with the XOM engineer were discovered in the cosmetics industry.

Last edited:
According to mobil1.com website, the latest iteration of Mobil 1 Truck & SUV, in 5w-30 grade only, has a notably higher flashpoint (261 degrees C) than other viscosities of this line or other Mobil 1 variants. Assuming the spec isn't a typo, what if anything does that imply about the base stock being used? The FS 0w-40 you mention has a listed flashpoint of 230 degrees C, similar to other Mobil 1 variants.
It's 30-40% Group III according to the SDS, it doesn't call out any other significant quantities of a base oil, so it's hard to gauge what the rest might be.

The FS Line of Mobil 1 cleans the same or better than the ESP line from Mobil 1?

Just Asking!

The FS Line of Mobil 1 cleans the same or better than the ESP line from Mobil 1?

Just Asking!
The specific product, the FS 0W-40, has cleaning claims that aren't the same as the claims made for other products (keeps things clean).

The specific product, the FS 0W-40, has cleaning claims that aren't the same as the claims made for other products (keeps things clean).
The 5W-40 shows the same text last I saw, and possibly ESP X3. However, I don't think anyone has done FTIR on the SP 5W-40 or 0W-40 so I guess it's all guessing for now. Their website is bad enough that I wouldn't trust any text personally :).

Take this as you want, I recently switched from QS All Mileage 5w30 to Mobil 1 High Mileage 5w30 "Triple Action Formula"

On my Chevy which is a 4.3 and is a very clean engine to begin which the oil is still clean, however on my Toyota which is a 1MZ-FE also known as a sludge monster although mine is very clean considering due to 3k oil changes all its life, anyways the oil is noticeably darker and it is also noticeably cleaner under the oil cap.

Now what that relates to throughout the engine I can't tell you because I am not going to pull the valve covers off for a while because it was all recently done, but obviously some kind of cleaning action is happening compared to the QS All Mileage on my Toyota.

Ide be using 10w30.
I once saw Piqa website,the older fram 5w30 oil had over 2,200 ppm of calcium in it I know that's a cleaner.mobile. Is around 1450 ppm .
Mobil website has exceptional advertising .advanced is 10x more temperature protection. As for cleanliness I did pick up on its over an oil change it can remove recent sludge.
The EP advertising is 20x more protection.and can clean existing sludge up in one oil change
So that kef me to believe, mobuis EP has these esters in it.not the advanced anymore.

I was at my local napa today.reading back containers of Pennzoil full synthetic .the chart on back advertises piston cleanliness.blikev3-4 star rating thing. On Mobil tri-actice advanced it advertises maintains sludge removal,something like that, with 3 star rating.beliece it was 3..
Back of fram synthetic it basically advertises same as Mobil. I like fram because it's USA oil. Not from foreign and domestic .
So basically, Mobil 1 tri active is the same thing as fram synthetic.? Maintains clean,but wouldn't do much for existing piston cleanliness.or would they?

I forgot too...Mobil EP didn't come in 10w30. I seen it local advance auto, 020,5w20:and 5 w30 only.
It's a sad Shane,Mobil ,well Exxon, decided too remove PAO esters downgrading Mobil one too not a true synthetic.

I was at my local napa today.reading back containers of Pennzoil full synthetic .the chart on back advertises piston cleanliness.blikev3-4 star rating thing. On Mobil tri-actice advanced it advertises maintains sludge removal,something like that, with 3 star rating.beliece it was 3..
Back of fram synthetic it basically advertises same as Mobil. I like fram because it's USA oil. Not from foreign and domestic .
So basically, Mobil 1 tri active is the same thing as fram synthetic.? Maintains clean,but wouldn't do much for existing piston cleanliness.or would they?
Those charts are meaningless.

Piston cleanliness is an API sequence, Mobil and SOPUS would perform roughly the same.

FRAM doesn't make oil, it would be manufactured for them by some third party like Warren.

What Overkill said.

It's hard to know what oils will actually "clean" vs "prevent" deposits from forming etc. Some do both well and HPL is known to also clean very well due to the select esters/ANs. Certain grades of Mobil 1 have shown they clean very well too, 0w40 being one of them. The others, not so much (SN/SN+).

The latest SP version no longer shows a spike in the oxidation figure, so my guess is they're using AN's. Verbiage remains the same in regard to cleaning.

Mobil 1 Triple Action touts keeping engines very clean. A few recent articles out of Asia in regard to the latest Triple Action (hate that name) state this formulation was born out of XOM's racing program with Redbull.

If you look at the latest VOA's of M1 Triple, it has the lowest amount of metallic additives that I've ever seen in an oil. As to what they're using is anyone's guess and likely proprietary to XOM as some of the ingredients per that video I shared with the XOM engineer were discovered in the cosmetics industry.
What is HPL? What oil is that?

Back