Motorcraft semi syn wording

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excluding Fords' muscle cars and heavy duty trucks, Ford has always recommended their semi syn oil for their cars or trucks. On the back of the bottle, and their website too, the description has noted the composition ( hydro processed oil etc.) and how it is recommended by Ford for Ford vehicles. The label used to say "has performed flawlessly in both dynometer and over the road testing" or something to that effect.

Over the years the wording has changed some ( they dropped the performed flawlessly part) and just recently they have added "controls turbocharger deposits" to the descriptive on the bottle.

Question: has Ford done some fine tuning to the composition of their most popular oil because turbo'd engines are becoming more and more of their product mix? Or is this just another tweak of their description of the oil, like they've done in the past? I believe the new part about turbocharger deposit protection is relatively new as anytime I'm at Walmart I take the time to study the oil section - passes the time while the wife shops. ( Well, that and the guns dept)...

Does anybody here do the same thing? I might not even need oil but I'll be in in the oil aisle just looking and reading what each brand has to say about their product. Worse yet, has anybody here ever read the oil bottle description and thought " this oil always produces noisy engines" or " what a crock, produces too high a ppm fe for me" etc.?

I know normal people there think I need a doctor.

Originally Posted By: double vanos
Excluding Fords' muscle cars and heavy duty trucks, Ford has always recommended their semi syn oil for their cars or trucks. On the back of the bottle, and their website too, the description has noted the composition ( hydro processed oil etc.) and how it is recommended by Ford for Ford vehicles. The label used to say "has performed flawlessly in both dynometer and over the road testing" or something to that effect.

Over the years the wording has changed some ( they dropped the performed flawlessly part) and just recently they have added "controls turbocharger deposits" to the descriptive on the bottle.

Question: has Ford done some fine tuning to the composition of their most popular oil because turbo'd engines are becoming more and more of their product mix? Or is this just another tweak of their description of the oil, like they've done in the past? I believe the new part about turbocharger deposit protection is relatively new as anytime I'm at Walmart I take the time to study the oil section - passes the time while the wife shops. ( Well, that and the guns dept)...

Does anybody here do the same thing? I might not even need oil but I'll be in in the oil aisle just looking and reading what each brand has to say about their product. Worse yet, has anybody here ever read the oil bottle description and thought " this oil always produces noisy engines" or " what a crock, produces too high a ppm fe for me" etc.?

I know normal people there think I need a doctor.

That wording was added due to most of the Ford vehicles being sold have ecoboost engines, ie turbochargers.After looking at some of the more recent UOA of MC, it seems they reduced the moly content, which, has been proved to be a contributor to deposits.

Good find volk06! I should have caught that as I check out the UOAs fairly regularly. Can an oil still be robust with less Moly, or have they put something in its place?

Originally Posted By: double vanos
Good find volk06! I should have caught that as I check out the UOAs fairly regularly. Can an oil still be robust with less Moly, or have they put something in its place?

I'd say so. Then again the 3.7 is no ecoboost. I dont know if anyone has ever got ford to say that they spec'd 5w-30 for the ecoboost since it shears oil/fuel dilution very quickly to the 5w-20 range in the larger ecoboosts.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr...-_2015_3#UNREAD

Strolling down the oil aisle is a requirement for Bitog members. I sometimes like to pick up various oils and behold their beauty.

I'm sure that FORD changed the wording on the oil bottle and tested the oil, to reflect their ECO-Boost line of engines. FORD also may have changed some of the add pkg as well for their engines.

Last edited:
Yup, just using Formula Ford
smile.gif

Prior to 5w20 era It's been one fits all oil for diesel and gas fords here in EU, turbos and non-turbos.
Since 90's
It is marketed by BP = Castrol
It's still acceptable in most current eu fords when 5w20 is not available

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back