How could wrong filter cause "blowout"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, as the devils advocate I prepare for the BB store to say.

"You had the oil changed and Three months later you have engine trouble because your car lost all it's oil and you continued driving!

You CLAIM the engine failed because an incorrect filter was fitted, and you claim that filter was fitted by our BB store because it had a Blue mark on it!

We have had cases where fitters have made mistakes in looking up an application #, but your invoice shows that this was not the case, and even so, IF the wrong filter had been fitted I would have expected failier almost immediately, not some 3 months later."

I am not being a jerk, but I just want to prepare you for what might be said if the BB store is NOT egar to buy you a new engine.

Basically, does a blue mark prove that filter was put on by them?

The place that changed the oil and filter can always come up with some cockamamie excuses.

Originally Posted By: expat
Again, as the devils advocate I prepare for the BB store to say.

"You had the oil changed and Three months later you have engine trouble because your car lost all it's oil and you continued driving!

You CLAIM the engine failed because an incorrect filter was fitted, and you claim that filter was fitted by our BB store because it had a Blue mark on it!

We have had cases where fitters have made mistakes in looking up an application #, but your invoice shows that this was not the case, and even so, IF the wrong filter had been fitted I would have expected failier almost immediately, not some 3 months later."

I understand, and appreciate the possible push back scenarios BB may claim.

My response to first claim would be this: I park my vehicle in my garage. Same spot every time. If my vehicle had been loosing oil for 3 months, there would be a significant oil stain in my garage. I have photographs of my garage without my car in it, showing no oil stain. These pictures were taken before the critical oil filter failure. This is a new home I took pictures of the garage floor and driveway during inspection for purchase. I have toll receipts that prove that my vehicle was being driven and has not been sitting in my garage because it was inoperable.

My response to second claim would be this: I have the invoice for the oil change done at BB August 2016. I have photographs showing the incorrect filter on my vehicle. And the blue mark is a BB practice. This is your own verification system used when your tech's provide oil/lube service. Additionally, the Fram COR 3506 TLE is only available at BB. That's what TLE stands for Tire, Lube Express.

My response to third claim would be this: For whatever reason, your tech grabbed a filter that does not fit my vehicle. It has no bypass valve. The reason that it "held on so long" was because the weather in Colorado has been warm. The vehicle was not used for several days prior to the date the filter failed. High on 17th, 32 degrees. Temperature high on 18th, 33 degrees. Temperature high on 19th, 45 degrees. And temperature on the day it was driven and the filter failed, was 55 degrees. Cold oil, and incorrect filter with no bypass valve means that pressure built up. The incorrect threads, and incorrectly sized gasket failed once the pressure became too much. It had been warm weather that allowed me to drive the vehicle during the warm summer/fall months. But winter always comes.

Do these responses sound like I know what the grape I'm talking about? I feel like Tiny Tim asking big 'ole BB for more.
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: Yoyo

Do these responses sound like I know what the grape I'm talking about? I feel like Tiny Tim asking big 'ole BB for more.
crazy.gif

Make that Oliver Twist.... not Tiny Tim. Baahhhh I'm loosing my mind!

"Additionally, the Fram COR 3506 TLE is only available at BB. That's what TLE stands for Tire, Lube Express. "

That is a good point! I did not know that.

Quote:
.... Additionally, the Fram COR 3506 TLE is only available at BB....

Good point. And they are very distinctive in exterior design, orange-ish with textured coating. Now there have been some 'black market' ones sold on ebay, but I'm not playing devil's advocate with that, just as fyi. They are not supposed to be for retail sale.

Without quoting the rest of your post, your overall responses to whys and hows things occurred as they did, seem well thought out and reasonable. And I agree with your conclusions.

And you said you are a regular at TLE, that 'should' be worth something. Thinking you may have records to that affect. I'd 'hope' BB does right by you, a you get an equitable settlement. Keep us informed.

Played phone tag with adjuster for what seemed like forever.

As of noon today, we have an approved claim. The adjuster requested photos of the filter on the vehicle. Lucky for me, my mechanic had taken several photos of the undercarriage, filter, and the mess it made as soon as he put it on the rack.

The mechanic has ordered the engine that has fewer miles on it than the current engine. It should arrive in a couple of days. We also received approval for a rental car for 10 days. All in all, I am very happy with what is happening. Yes, it is incredibly inconvenient to have gone without transportation for the last 10 days. It was stressful not to know if they were going to fight me. Sh** happens sometimes. Mistakes happen to the best of us.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Getting a used engine? I was hoping you would be getting a new one

Their responsibility is to put me back to my original condition. If I would have pushed for a new motor, it would have exceeded the value of my vehicle and they would have likely totaled it. Or charged me betterment. There are unknowns about this engine that I'm getting, but I'm okay with that.

.... We also received approval for a rental car for 10 days. All in all, I am very happy with what is happening. Yes, it is incredibly inconvenient to have gone without transportation for the last 10 days. It was stressful not to know if they were going to fight me. Sh** happens sometimes. Mistakes happen to the best of us....

Yes it does, and yes they do. But seems you've made through and looks like things are going to work out. That's good, happy for you. You can enjoy the beach scene pic. And it seems you have.....

^^^ LoL

OP, glad they are taking care of their mistake.

Hopefully the engine you are getting was well maintained. A salvage yard motor is like a "box of chocolates..."

Like you can't use Allison filters on the common aftermarket spin on kits ...?

The primary failure for this filter was the fact it had no bypass valve. Cold oil and pressure build up means blown gasket. The ill fitting threads may have held with no serious damage to the engine.

The consumers (me included) who take their vehicles into quick/cheap oil change places don't really want to think about how a slightly misfitting filter may be shortening the life of their engine. Our complacency in the end will always mean more money out of our pockets. Sometimes the price of trust is really high... or we may go along blithely ignorant of the cost we may have been faced with in a twist of fate.

That is why I don't have a problem with BB paying for a used engine. The engine being put into my car has 10,000 less miles than the one that was blown. It will have a 3 year warranty. My trust "payment" for going with quick/cheap BB oil changes will be trusting that the engine going into my vehicle will be trouble free. My trust "payment" also includes inconvenience.

I have had this vehicle for 12 years. I have been going to BB for all of my oil changes. This was a chance error of the tech grabbing the wrong filter. I had been driving my vehicle with the "slightly" misfitting filters for 12 years. Has it shaved years off the life of the engine? Who can say.

Maybe I am a fool, maybe I'm just lazy. But I do not have the time, interest or expertise to double check all the work done by mechanics, HVAC pros, plumbers, electricians, etc etc ad nauseam. For me personally, trust is an easier option.

I have had this vehicle for 12 years. I have been going to BB for all of my oil changes. This was a chance error of the tech grabbing the wrong filter. I had been driving my vehicle with the "slightly" misfitting filters for 12 years. Has it shaved years off the life of the engine? Who can say.

I can pretty much assure you that the same guy has not been putting the wrong filter on your car for 12 years. The turnover rate at those kind of operations is atrocious. I'm sure they got it right at least once. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back