Chi, thanks a lot Mann and Hummel

I went to purchase a few new oil filters that I like to use which are the Carquest premium oil filters made as a private label by Mann and Hummel. I thought I had remembered them having been made in USA and so I went and purchased them again and neglected to check to see if any changes have been made. Of course, when I got under the car to do the oil change, I noted that this particular filter for my Honda CRV has now been outsourced to production in Vietnam. From everything, I can observe outwardly, it “ appears to be“well-made. I’ve had it on the vehicle for about 300 miles with no issues to this point. According to the box specifications, it is good for quote 10,000 miles“ which is similar to what it was in the past although this box did not mention anything about filtration efficiency. And just to be sure, I looked at the filter I took off, and sure enough, it does say, made in USA, so it looks like the march to outsourcing is continuing. Do I think I purchased a poor product? No, I don’t think so. What irritates me is that? I specifically purchased this filter because I wanted to, at least when I had the opportunity, to purchase something that was made in the USA or Canada but instead, got something made in Asia. I took some photos so that you all could see. I have also been using this brand for the LeSabre and have not bought any recently, but we will need to for the phone and I will be checking this time. I may need to reconsider, because while the Purolator labelled versions of these may or may not be still made in the United States, getting Purolator branded filters up here, is a RPIA and ridiculously expensive if purchased online and shipped up here into Ontario. I’m afraid it might be time for me to consider shifting my purchases to US made, high-efficiency Frans. The first 5 photos are of the new version that I just purchased, and they appear to have shrunk the height somewhat. I just realized that my straight edge for measuring the new one blocked the actual country where it says Vietnam but he clearly does.

Attachments

• IMG_6020.jpeg
    IMG_6020.jpeg
    238.8 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_6021.jpeg
    IMG_6021.jpeg
    105.8 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_6022.jpeg
    IMG_6022.jpeg
    154.2 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_6023.jpeg
    IMG_6023.jpeg
    177.7 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_6030.jpeg
    IMG_6030.jpeg
    89 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_6024.jpeg
    IMG_6024.jpeg
    219.5 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_6025.jpeg
    IMG_6025.jpeg
    141.7 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_6028.jpeg
    IMG_6028.jpeg
    73.5 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_6029.jpeg
    IMG_6029.jpeg
    56 KB · Views: 120
You're victimizing yourself and blaming a globally sourced oil filter for a purchasing mistake you made. It says where It's made on the box and filter, and there is no false advertising.

I can order 3 MANN filters for my Vagwagen and get 3 COO.

Reminds me of when GM went from the PF63F to the PF63E. I decided to snatch up 12 PF63F. when they came, they were all the E. That was one of the instances where Rockauto argued with me, saying what's the difference. I described it, and the website clearly said F.

We are a planet of "Globalization" now. There are many companies that outsource some of their parts. I've ran into several instances where the US or CA just didn't make a certain size bolt/nut for example. So, I bought it from Asia. This outsourcing has been going on for a long time. I would suggest going to a parts store that caries different filters & ask them to look at some of where they are made.

Quite honestly, they could take Fram Extra Guard filters, paint them some other color, put a Carquest sticker on them, throw them in the box... and still sell them all day long.

Just as long as the filter inside meets the fairly vague descriptions/claims on the box, it really doesn't matter who made what is being sold inside. They've done this intentionally. "Illustrations may not match exact filter in carton" and "See product for county of origin". It is smart on their behalf.

It looks like a Premium Guard filter.
...and the "made in Vietnam" makes sense for that too.

production in Vietnam
COO has no relevance to quality. I get the supporting your own country's manufacturing (or the USA's) for nationalism but I can't (won't) make a lot of extra effort. If I were standing in front of a selection of filters for my car, yeah, I look at where they're made. I also look at the price, brand reputation, etc as well. I'll even pay (a little) more based on where a part is made.

Get yourself to a Rural King and buy a Prime Guard for $2.99 (if you have any around). AAP/Carquest used to sell Baldwin under their own name, but, (AGAIN), they were higher priced than a lot of places. Other than scouring the shelves for wire-backed Fram Titaniums, there's not much in an AAP or CQ in the filter area that's a good deal at all...

Get yourself to a Rural King and buy a Prime Guard for $2.99 (if you have any around). AAP/Carquest used to sell Baldwin under their own name, but, (AGAIN), they were higher priced than a lot of places. Other than scouring the shelves for wire-backed Fram Titaniums, there's not much in an AAP or CQ in the filter area that's a good deal at all...
In my area I have Autozone, Napa, and Advance. None of them have filters that are a good value, maybe the STP for lawn mowers but even those are going up in price.

I wouldn't have believed it a year or two ago, but Fram PH/TG and SuperTech have been my go-to filters lately as they seem to be the most consistent and best value.

Get yourself to a Rural King and buy a Prime Guard for $2.99
Are the $3 versions good ones ? I thought I ran across PG offering different grades just like all filter makers. I've used O'Reilly's PG-built filter on my wife's car and it's a pretty stout feeling and looking filter. Don't know anything about the internals though but I'm not concerned either.

Are the $3 versions good ones ? I thought I ran across PG offering different grades just like all filter makers. I've used O'Reilly's PG-built filter on my wife's car and it's a pretty stout feeling and looking filter. Don't know anything about the internals though but I'm not concerned either.
They seem to be a good value, some of them are even $1.99 each. Efficiency is nothing to write home about, but they don't seem to tear media often. Some members like @'53 Stude have had good luck with them.

Mann-Hummel isn't a US company to begin with. It's a German company with manufacturing plants around the globe.

Even if you buy a Mann-Hummel labeled product, they do not advertise filtering efficiency at all. Its packaging has next to nothing amount of information, unlike the Fram, Purolator, etc packaging that you buy here.
This. I just received 2 Mann oil filters for my BMW from FCP Euro and for the first time in my experience they weren’t made in Europe. Made in Mexico.

Back