Oil Filter Going 2 OCI Thoughts

To give vehicle background: 2016 F-150 with the 5.0. Owned since 48,XXX miles and have nearly put 100K on myself now. Not an issue from it and always a synthetic oil and quality filter ran. Has been a 1/2 quart short maybe twice at an OC.

I have recently decided to shorten my OCI's from roughly 7,500 miles max to approx. 4,000 in an attempt to hopefully clean up some buildup/varnish in the engine a little. This will be the first OC at 4,000. By cutting the interval nearly in half, I began wondering if I should consider leaving the filter on for 2 OC's. I did my best to use the search function to gather the information I could and it seems (from what decent information that could be sifted out) to be a split decision as far as BITOG goes.

In the approximately 4,000 miles (5 months) on the current filter (Fram Endurance), there have been a few longer road trips, but the majority of the miles are commutes to and from work and trips to neighboring towns. Trips that would have the engine running 30 min at max. I am switching from M1 FS 0W40 to Valvoline EPHM 5W30 if that should be a factor into the "go / no-go" answer as well.
For those who do use a filter for 2 OC's, what factors should I consider into the final decision?

With my truck, the messiest (and sometimes longest part for a big guy like me) of the OC is the filter swap with the position Ford has it on the engine and so the idea of not having to deal with that is kind of nice to consider, too.

Thanks in advance for any and all thoughts and help!

With two intervals of 4,000 miles you could use an Ultra in place of the Endurance if that will save you a couple bucks. There really should be no issue with running them twice. You could run an Endurance for three changes if you'd like if that would work. I would stick with the 0w-40 over 5w-30 for this 5.0L w/150k on the engine it should work well and provide a slight buffer for any fuel dilution.

It varies IMO, things that I consider before leaving a filter on for multiple oil change intervals is knowing how your last filter is performing and amount of debris and carbon it catches will help make the informed decision to extend the filter change interval. Other factors I also consider is what type of engine it is, known conditions such as oil cleanliness on the dipstick between change intervals. I don't really trust filter marketed mileage ratings as some engines run more dirty than others such as GDI type engine that happen to darken oil faster and fowl filtering media than regular port fuel injected engines.

One thing to consider on extending filter service life is to see if you can find compatible oversized oil filters available for your vehicle, that would give you greater confidence that it doesn't get too loaded if running on a dirty engine. More physical filtering media the better. then again this is my OCD when it comes to keeping a vehicle in top shape safely.

Some folks here do it, lots debate the theory endlessly. I have better things to worry about and change it every time vs pinching a penny for not much benefit.

XG10575 or FE10575 will be just fine. I ran my last XG 15k miles and only switched because I went to HPL No VII Euro; if I was staying with same brand/weight of oil I’d run 2x 7,500 miles without even thinking about it, and most likely run 3x that to 22,500 as long as there was no visible rust on it.

My current Fram Endurance 10575 has 14,400 on it now and it won’t be changed until my next oil change 8k from now.

‘19 3.5 EB here but same filter as you.

1) How have you determined there is sludge or varnish buildup that needs to be removed?
2) If that's your goal, why not take a look at HPL oils?
3) If you're worried about sludge or varnish buildup, then perhaps you're using inferior synthetic oils and cutting the interval in half won't help (ergo, see #2)
4) In most cases, most oil filters may be used up to 15K-20K miles; 4K would be nothing.

It varies IMO, things that I consider before leaving a filter on for multiple oil change intervals is knowing how your last filter is performing and amount of debris and carbon it catches will help make the informed decision to extend the filter change interval. Other factors I also consider is what type of engine it is, known conditions such as oil cleanliness on the dipstick between change intervals. I don't really trust filter marketed mileage ratings as some engines run more dirty than others such as GDI type engine that happen to darken oil faster and fowl filtering media than regular port fuel injected engines.

One thing to consider on extending filter service life is to see if you can find compatible oversized oil filters available for your vehicle, that would give you greater confidence that it doesn't get too loaded if running on a dirty engine. More physical filtering media the better. then again this is my OCD when it comes to keeping a vehicle in top shape safely.
I have done a bit of cross-referencing of filters and do have a short list that are larger than the OE Motorcraft and the OG Fram Ultra I used in the beginning of ownership. May revisit that list.
I have ran a WIX WL10255, MSL10255, MSL 57045. The MSL's I won't try anymore as they had seating issues on my truck. The Endurance is actually bigger than the OE and OG Ultra, too. Just hard to find one with decent looking louvers inside.

Last edited:
1) How have you determined there is sludge or varnish buildup that needs to be removed?
2) If that's your goal, why not take a look at HPL oils?
3) If you're worried about sludge or varnish buildup, then perhaps you're using inferior synthetic oils and cutting the interval in half won't help (ergo, see #2)
4) In most cases, most oil filters may be used up to 15K-20K miles; 4K would be nothing.
It's more of an assumption. Basing it on age/mileage (8yrs/146K), not knowing the details of maintenance the first 48K miles, taking multiple OC's early on in my ownership close to 10K, and from looking into the engine through the oil fill port and seeing some discoloration on some parts inside.
I haven't dug much into HPL because of cost, same reason I stopped Amsoil.

Last edited:
With two intervals of 4,000 miles you could use an Ultra in place of the Endurance if that will save you a couple bucks. There really should be no issue with running them twice. You could run an Endurance for three changes if you'd like if that would work. I would stick with the 0w-40 over 5w-30 for this 5.0L w/150k on the engine it should work well and provide a slight buffer for any fuel dilution.
I'm using the 5W30 for winter temp purposes as this OC will go through to next March/April-ish. Winters don't get too bad here, but we do get spells of sub-zero temps and my truck is always parked outside. Figure erring on the side of caution is better.

The vast majority of engines won't clog an oil filter in 8,000 miles in normal driving, especially with a high capacity filter. 7,500 mile filter change intervals have worked well enough for your engine, so I'd just stick with that.

Typically the amount of used oil left in an engine after an oil & filter change is about 1.0 L. Without a filter change it will be 1.2 or 1.3 L. That difference is nothing to worry about, especially with your short OCIs.

Another consideration for long filter change intervals is pressure cycling causing the filter to fatigue and potentially leak or burst. Filter manufacturers test for this with a pulse durability test over 10,000+ pressure cycles. This is only a concern for vehicles that see a lot of cold running and routinely see pressures over 100 psi. In the rust belt, corrosion can also make a failure like this more likely as well. These aren't really concerns for your application. In fact, changing your filter more often may actually increase the risk of failure due to the possibility of manufacturing defects.

If I do that, I would just change it, LOL. Takes away from the "not making a huge mess" attraction of the idea.
Also, couldn't that bring in the possibility of damaging the gasket?

I'm genuinely curious the thought process behind this recommendation. Is it to remove the 8 ounces or so of old fluid?

That would be my concern with removing and reinstalling.

So you are going to the trouble of changing the oil but will leave nearly a quart of the old dirty oil to mix with the new oil? I'd say, why bother even changing the oil then. The gasket on the filter is rubber, it's not a head gasket. If it can't be tightened a second time, it's a garbage filter to begin with and should just be changed now.

So you are going to the trouble of changing the oil but will leave nearly a quart of the old dirty oil to mix with the new oil? I'd say, why bother even changing the oil then. The gasket on the filter is rubber, it's not a head gasket. If it can't be tightened a second time, it's a garbage filter to begin with and should just be changed now.
What filter holds a quart?

Back