I change my oil filter with very oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Application, Application, Application! Their are no absolutes.

Depends on the filter and the application. In some applications you change the filter more often than the oil and others the opposite.

Im currently changing my filters in my truck every 20,000 miles and the engine oil every 40,000 miles. In trucks with Bypass Filters I often wait until 100,000 miles to change the full flow.

In Honda cars I used to change the OEM Filter every 15,000 miles and the oil every 7,500 miles.

In my pickup the oil and the filter get changed every 6,000 miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Unleashedbeast
If you are not going to adventure in extended oil change intervals, the Amsoil bypass filter system may not be worth the expense. I'm a believer in the system and have seen some awesome low wear metal UOAs from cars using them. If you install a bypass system, use a true synthetic like Amsoil and get your monies worth from the lubricant. Run them at least 15,000 miles before changing.

True synthetics like Amsoil and M1 do have extended OCI benefits especially with quality filters. I have friends that go 15 to 20K with 5-30EP with the same M1 filter and have 150-300K on their engines.

I have a Bosch Distance plus filter, and I plan on leaving it on for 2 oil changes. Both changes will be with Valvoline, and will be around 5000 miles (with OLM). Should I unscrew the filter and drain out the old oil, or just leave the old oil in the filter so it mixes with the new oil?

I'd leave the filter alone ... don't unscrew and empty. IMO, not disturbing the gasket will ensure no risk of leakage down the road.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
...it's been shown that changing oil too often may not be as good for your engine as running the oil longer oci's...

Could you cite some studies?

Originally Posted By: Maximus1966
...it's been shown that changing oil too often may not be as good for your engine as running the oil longer oci's...

+1 i was thinking the same thing..

The study most often quoted is this study. It doesn't conclusively show that old oil is better, but it does show that the rate of increase in wear metals tends to go down as the oil ages. Part of that may be the filter, but as you can see the wear metals blip down at the filter change @ 12,000 miles.

I am a strong believer that at a minimum, used oil isn't any worse than virgin oil as long as your addities and TBN aren't depleted. I also believe that most oil filters will last way longer than 2 OCIs. My last OCI was over 39,500 miles (with a bypass filter) and my filter held up fine and my wear metals per mile is one of the lowest posted here. Since the bypass filter removes larger particulates, there isn't anything in the used oil to do any harm.

Gene K said it pretty well: It really depends on your application. If you put lots of highway miles on your engine, you're wasting time, money and resources changing your oil and filter excessively.

Yeah, I likely could have/should have left that sentence out of the post as it distracts from the real issue of changing the oil too often, that being (as stated in the linked M1 test), it is a waste of resources. The M1 test linked above lends some support to little benefit of very short oci's, 3k in this case. And the response was specifically adddress to the newb poster changing his M1 every 3k. Few here would argue that it is excessive with M1, let alone the average dino.

One filter (Amsoil EaO80 or Donaldson ELF7349) and one oil change (Amsoil AME 15w-40) for me using on a 25,000 mile OCI.

Originally Posted By: slalom44
...The study most often quoted is this study. It doesn't conclusively show that old oil is better...

Appears to be a "study" of one vehicle. Quite a stretch to say it establishes much. I'll have to remain a skeptic.

..I am a strong believer that at a minimum, used oil isn't any worse than virgin oil...

Well...I'm speechless.

...The study most often quoted is this study. It doesn't conclusively show that old oil is better...

Appears to be a "study" of one vehicle. Quite a stretch to say it establishes much. I'll have to remain a skeptic.

You're free to remain a skeptic. I'm looking forward to your proof to the contrary.....

Last edited:
a guy I work with tells every honda owner that comes in wanting an oil filter that the OCI for honda accords is 10k. He's been warned several times about making a statement that while it is in the manual, no conventional bulk oil is really gonna go 10k with the same filter.
He uses honda filters and redline oil. hypocrit.

but he showed me in his owners manual.. and I said a bulk oil isn't going to last and he know it. Well he does.. but he believes in everything honda says. he changes his oil once a year, as he barely get to 10k in a year.

..I am a strong believer that at a minimum, used oil isn't any worse than virgin oil...

Well...I'm speechless.

crackmeup2.gif

03' Accord 2.4 mix short trip/hwy 7500 OCI 15000 filter since new.. cheapest API 5/20 .59 (Citgo) and $2 filter (Quaker) 140k and going strong..unexpected repairs $140 (oxygen sensor)

alot of time and money saved.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FuQ2
I must be nuts. No way in heck would I go 7,500 or 10K on oil. I change oil and filter every 3K w/Mobil-1 5W-30 and the bad orange can everyone here seems to hate. Both my suburbans take lots of fuel (31 and 37 gal tanks) so the cost of the oil and filter is peanuts relative to a gas fill up for me. Every 6 weeks $35 oh well. Probably wasting good oil. While I'm wasting $, reading all the filter forums it sounds like I should stop with the fram and go with a NAPa gold or platinum. Now my question is there any harm other than my wallet from over changing oil and filter?

i am from the era of 3000 mile oil changes.bought my first car in 1974. with the advent of new oil technology and better filters i now follow the book and go 7000 miles or six months and change oil and filter. it did take me a while to accept that this is acceptable. i started using m1 in 1978, and still changed every 3000 and progressed up to longer changes. as car and engine technology has progressed, so to has oil and filter tech. the exception is fram, in the eighties this was the filter of choice, but have not changed since. if it matters i use a kn filter, i like the nut on the end, and penzoil ultra.

I have a filter stash of various makes, and will from now on run the filters according to a certain mileage. So the last Orange Can of Death I have will go for 7500 miles, as it is VERY OVERSIZE and the little STP E-Core will get run for 5000 (with no heavy weight oils), and the Bosch Distance Plus 15,000.

If the oil is conventional or not will be figured in. So with the better filters I'll them for two oil changes. If I have the best synthetic oil and the cheapest filters, I might use the same oil but change the oil twice.

The filter on the car right now is a slightly oversize Fram Tough Guard, I'll run it to 7500 miles.

Last edited:
Today I did transmission drain/refill and oil change on my buddy 2009 toyota matrix 2.4L.

I can't remove the toyota oil filter. It is super tight. So I leave it and put new oil..

I think I have to buy Toyota OEM Oil filter wrench to remove oil filter.. anyone experience ? any advise ?

thank

IT is cartridge. I removed transmission drain and oil plug. they are so easy.

I can't believe toyota dealer super tight the oil filter..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back