Should I use PH7317 Fram oil filters or throw them out?

Hello I own a 2020 Subaru Impreza with a 5 speed and it's currently at 46k miles, I recently purchased 5 "PH7317 Fram oil filters" from Facebook marketplace for 10$. ... .
The factory filters are now Tokyo Roki. I would get some of those too. Maybe alternate between the Fram and the Roki. See if you like the Roki better. I find our subaru engine is quieter on the Roki at startup and Supertech MP would be my second choice recommendation

If they were that bad I'd expect to have a hard time getting around town because the roads would just be littered with broken down cars. There are millions upon millions of cars running these filters without issue.
Yes, the oft repeated anecdote, but no; there exist no data - found or presented.

You will need a clipboard and survey the owner of that broken down car (you can skip the tesla or rivian) whom you pass on the hi or low road. Get back to the forum in five years with that likely still non-relevant data.

Sorry. That was just one too many times hearing this.

Not intended as a personal attack @!fisher83

Consider it just some old man shouting into the air in his front yard.

Reactions: hrv
Should be just fine for your <5k requirement. Not the highest quality filter for the price range but you did only pay $10. Maybe buy a cheap filter cutter & chop one open to see what you think.

Hello I own a 2020 Subaru Impreza with a 5 speed and it's currently at 46k miles, I recently purchased 5 "PH7317 Fram oil filters" from Facebook marketplace for 10$. I want the very best for my car and I've heard bad things about fram and these "orange cans of death". Will I have any issues at all using them? Or should I keep using the black oem filters, I do 4-4.5k oil change intervals using Pennzoil platinum. Thanks
Hi Papang,
Use them with great confidence. They deliver 95% efficiency @ 20 micron filtration and have a 10K life that is double your OCI.

If you look at my signature you will see that I currently use them on several vehicles. So far, none of them has blown up...

I only have two more Frams in my stash though, so I will soon switch to the dozen or so Ecogards that fill my cabinet.

Hello I own a 2020 Subaru Impreza with a 5 speed and it's currently at 46k miles, I recently purchased 5 "PH7317 Fram oil filters" from Facebook marketplace for 10$. I want the very best for my car and I've heard bad things about fram and these "orange cans of death". Will I have any issues at all using them? Or should I keep using the black oem filters, I do 4-4.5k oil change intervals using Pennzoil platinum. Thanks
Use them, you already bought them. They won’t hurt anything and will work fine.
Buy something else to use after if you want.

I have used up my old stash of CRV filters on the Outback, the only thing I really worry about is that they have a lower bypass pressure, which maybe could have the filter bypass more than normal... Anyways I've done 4-5 oci's now with the fram's and nearing 100k miles with no apparent issues but I should get the proper bypass filters next.

I have used up my old stash of CRV filters on the Outback, the only thing I really worry about is that they have a lower bypass pressure, which maybe could have the filter bypass more than normal... Anyways I've done 4-5 oci's now with the fram's and nearing 100k miles with no apparent issues but I should get the proper bypass filters next.
This^^^. I'm surprised bypass pressure differences were not brought earlier. This is a passionate debate on the Subaru forums.

FWIW, I maintain my SIL's 2017 Outback. I won't use a 7317 on her car. I use a Subaru specific Wix.

Scott

This^^^. I'm surprised bypass pressure differences were not brought earlier. This is a passionate debate on the Subaru forums.

FWIW, I maintain my SIL's 2017 Outback. I won't use a 7317 on her car. I use a Subaru specific Wix.

Scott
Yeah, I suppose if the filter was bypassing the for 5 minutes on every cold start, its not ideal... Hmmm.... Now you have me thinking...

• Haha
Reactions: hrv

Scott
Subaru used to put fine mesh screens in their turbo oiling banjo fittings. The high bypass spec was to reduce bypass events in "performance usage". Those suspect cranks need all the oil they can get. I would welcome a 9 psid+/- bypass on normal use non-turbo cars.

Remember the engine oil is being filtered continuously - you are not bypassing a "dirty sump" though nervous ninnies might prefer a base end bypass construction here.

Maybe our subie performance veteran Dennis has a different take.

Back