wix or subaru oem

Hello, I recently purchased a new to me 2020 Impreza with 46k miles, I plan to keep this car until either the engine blows or the wheels fall off, I currently have the black Subaru oil filter installed but I can't decide if I should continue to use it or switch to the wix (not xp). I will do 4.5k oci using Pennzoil ultra platinium 0w20. Thanks.

Subaru filter. Some dealerships have black filters in stock. These came with Japanese built cars, supposedly little better than the blue ones.

Also, consider installing oil drain valve. That will make oil change very easy. Other options is Fumoto, but I liked this one better.

Hello, I recently purchased a new to me 2020 Impreza with 46k miles, I plan to keep this car until either the engine blows or the wheels fall off, I currently have the black Subaru oil filter installed but I can't decide if I should continue to use it or switch to the wix (not xp). I will do 4.5k oci using Pennzoil ultra platinium 0w20. Thanks.
Good Morning Papang,
Congratulations on the new to you Impreza. Sounds like you found a great low mileage vehicle!
Choosing a 4.5K OCI makes a number of good filters available to you:
  • In the 10K life, Fram Extra Guard, Purolator Classic and SuperTech (White can)
  • In the 15K life, Fram Tough Guard, Purolator One and Supertech (Blue Can 20k life)
There are more expensive longer life filters but for your OCI these will provide very good filter performance at an excellent price. Enjoy that Impreza!

i've been running mexican wix 57712s on my 2010 impreza for as long as i can remember with good results. just picked up a japanese tokyo roki 15208aa100 from the dealership yesterday, we'll see how it goes. by the accounts i've read, the new black ones are worlds better than the old blue ones from pre-pandemic. but, at 4.5k, like was said already, you could run almost anything and be almost guaranteed to be fine.

Subaru filter. Some dealerships have black filters in stock. These came with Japanese built cars, supposedly little better than the blue ones.

Also, consider installing oil drain valve. That will make oil change very easy. Other options is Fumoto, but I liked this one better.
Are these faster than Fumoto? That’s my only complaint on the two I have installed now.

Give them both a try & see what it looks like before & after. Take some pics & compare. That may tell which one to choose.

Our dealer charges $14 for the Subaru blue can. I've been using M1 Fram Ultra or (lately) Fram endurance for a 14-15K OCI, which is cheaper than the dealer.

I had mostly run Wix 57055 or Wix 57055XP filters on my 2014 Outback with the FB25, once a PurolatorONE PL14615. Last year I switched to a Fram Endurance FE7317 for a OCI. Currently I have a WallyWorld-purchased Subaru OEM black-can 15208AA15A on it.

The only difference noticed between any of them? Not a **** thing other than price. Engine runs and sounds the same with any of them. They all filter and work fine for appropriate OCI's, which in my case is ~5k.

I had mostly run Wix 57055 or Wix 57055XP filters on my 2014 Outback, once a PurolatorONE PL14615. Last year I switched to a Fram Endurance FE7317 for a OCI. Currently I have a WallyWorld-purchased Subaru OEM black-can 15208AA15A on it.

The only difference noticed between any of them? Not a **** thing other than price. Engines runs and sounds the same with any of them. They all filter and work fine for appropriate OCI's, which in my case is ~5k.
If you did notice a difference then there was something seriously wrong with one of them.

But of course that's not all there is to an oil filter. One could have literally had no filtering media in the can and you wouldn't have noticed.

If you did notice a difference then there was something seriously wrong with one of them.

But of course that's not all there is to an oil filter. One could have literally had no filtering media in the can and you wouldn't have noticed.

This is true. My point being that for a standard OCI, any appropriately spec'ed filter will be fine. Once you get into the extended OCI ranges, then I would be far more concerned about using a premium filter rated for that interval.

If anything, oil viscosity has made far more of a noticeable difference to me in engine noise. 0W-20 being the nosiest, current 0w-40 being the quietest/smoothest. No surprise to me on that though.

Back