Not Changing Oil Filter

I'm changing the oil in my mom's Chev Spark. I change it once a year because she puts only 1000 miles per/year on it. No joking. Is it ok to change the oil filter every other year? Plus they put that gosh dang filter right next to the exhaust canister up front and you can easily burn yourself.

I'm changing the oil in my mom's Chev Spark. I change it once a year because she puts only 1000 miles per/year on it. No joking. Is it ok to change the oil filter every other year? Plus they put that gosh dang filter right next to the exhaust canister up front and you can easily burn yourself.
Hi Wardonkey,
Changing the oil filter 1/year is no problem at all. In fact it could stay on for two years. I have a restored CJ7 and drove it fewer miles as you and changed my filter at two years. Upon cutting it open the Fram Tough Guard was intact and looked fine.

I let an old school fram ultra go 5 years plus on my half ton truck towing and hauling with no problem whatsoever.

It ran in place a bit over 20K.

I did an OCI 4 times using a topside changer - 15 min tops.

It's also covered so no direct road slosh on it, but through Nor Cal winters in the sierras - so a short but real season.

I made a heat shield for my Taurus as it had the oil filter right under the exhaust manifold. Piece of steel plate bent to the shape of the filter and a worm hose clamp . Used some short small machine screws and nuts to attach to the worm clamp and offset from the filter. Easy peasy.

Chain is a torque roll limiter.

oil-filter-shield-and-chain-2.jpg

I had a Mobil 1 oil filter on my dad’s Honda for about 5 years. He only drove 2500 miles a year.

I only did oil drain and refills for 5 years. No filter change.
I just changed the oil in both my Civic's that's been in since Jan. 27th 2018 so was coming up on 6 yrs. I reused the Boss on the 99 that had 6500 miles and will replace it next change.

I let an old school fram ultra go 5 years plus on my half ton truck towing and hauling with no problem whatsoever.

It ran in place a bit over 20K.

I did an OCI 4 times using a topside changer - 15 min tops.

It's also covered so no direct road slosh on it, but through Nor Cal winters in the sierras - so a short but real season.

This is the way.

If it is that close to the exhaust ask yourself what is that heat doing to that filter gasket? Filters are cheap! Especially DIY ones.
It only got 1000 miles of heat exposure. If he was doing a normal say 7500 mile OCI, it would have way more heat exposure.

Back