Oil Filter Going 2 OCI Thoughts

1 turn compresses the gasket 1 mm on a typical 1.00 pitch thread. I just turn it until it feels snug. It won't be rock hard unless it's been on there for years.
Just adding my limited experience here, but I have a Fram Ultra (XG10575) off my wife's Acadia and that gasket was permanently compressed with zero squish left to it after 6 months/~5,700 miles. Very limited # of long trips, mainly a short trip vehicle. (Black gasket in the picture).
The two red gaskets are from Microgard Selects that were on my truck. One ran 50 miles and one ran a full OCI. You couldn't tell the difference (other than a slight color variance) in the two. Both the same height and squishy as the other. The one that went the full OCI had some towing trips and long road trips on it. On the truck about 5 months.
If I were to do as you do and remove and reinstall, I don't believe I'd trust the Fram to go back on. As long as the MSL's didn't show any damage or defect, I'd probably put them back on.

FWIW, I'm going to end up choosing not to drain mainly because I don't want to introduce the chance of damaging anything about the oil filter. Where Ford has the filter placed on this 5.0 is a true PITB and getting myself under the truck and my big hand in there to grip the can decently to remove has ended up with me denting the can a few times. Rather not take any chances.
Gaskets.jpeg

FWIW, I'm going to end up choosing not to drain mainly because I don't want to introduce the chance of damaging anything about the oil filter. Where Ford has the filter placed on this 5.0 is a true PITB and getting myself under the truck and my big hand in there to grip the can decently to remove has ended up with me denting the can a few times. Rather not take any chances.
Yeah, removing a filter can put a lot of stress on the can as they typically come off way harder than going on for the first time. IMO, it's just not worth messing with to remove a few ounces of "dirty" oil. I mean, is oil that has been used and filtered for 4000 miles really in that bad of shape where leaving 8 oz in the system is going to cause any problem? I'd say no way it would.

And to add, you would have to prop open the ADBV and drain the filter with base down for hours to actually get all the oil out of it. Just holding it vertical with base down for a few minutes isn't really going to drain much out of the filter - just out the center tube. I've had filters hold all of the oil between the media and can for a week with it sitting base down, and only after I propped open the ADBV did it drain out.

Yep, I write date and mileage on every filter I install! I also have an Excel workbook of hand calculated fuel mileage and every service done (DIY or shop) from day one of the truck. Probably a little obsessive/OCD, but I just like having the records. :LOL:
Blake1107,
Awesome...and you're not obsessive at all, you're proffesional.

You're not alone, I too have a spreadsheet that has my service records and also projects when the next service is required by time or mileage!

Enjoy not having to change that filter with every oil change!

I've been using Excel to keep detailed records on my vehicles since Excel 3.0. 😄

Just adding my limited experience here, but I have a Fram Ultra (XG10575) off my wife's Acadia and that gasket was permanently compressed with zero squish left to it after 6 months/~5,700 miles. Very limited # of long trips, mainly a short trip vehicle. (Black gasket in the picture).
The two red gaskets are from Microgard Selects that were on my truck. One ran 50 miles and one ran a full OCI. You couldn't tell the difference (other than a slight color variance) in the two. Both the same height and squishy as the other. The one that went the full OCI had some towing trips and long road trips on it. On the truck about 5 months.
If I were to do as you do and remove and reinstall, I don't believe I'd trust the Fram to go back on. As long as the MSL's didn't show any damage or defect, I'd probably put them back on.

View attachment 186544
One of the things I like about the STP XL filters are those red silicone gaskets, you can salvage those and use em for other things. I have removed to drain and reinstalled those filters once and those gaskets holdup very nicely even after 2 5k miles oil change intervals. Unfortunately most filters on the market are single use nitrile gasket.

Blake1107,
Awesome...and you're not obsessive at all, you're proffesional.

You're not alone, I too have a spreadsheet that has my service records and also projects when the next service is required by time or mileage!

Enjoy not having to change that filter with every oil change!

Glad I'm not alone on this, my brother thinks I'm obsessive for having a spreadsheet for logging entire service history logged on my Yaris. I have extra things on it as well such as bolt torque spec and parts list just in case I need to dig deep to get to something.

Back