I change my oil filter with very oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
well yea. my buddy 2009 matrix is 2.4l and use Toyota 90915-YZZF1.

now I am looking at cheap wrench to remove it.

I always change my oil filter since I am under the car and have my work clothes on. I also buy the filters in lots of 10 or 20 on closeout so they only cost $3-4. So, why not?

Admittedly, 3K / M1 OC may be costly and technically un-necessary. I guess my question was is there any harm in over doing the OC's. Someone posted about initial wear metal spike. That makes no sense to me. So new oil is more abrasive?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: FuQ2
Now my question is there any harm other than my wallet from over changing oil and filter?

It's not hurting anything but your wallet, but it's also buying you absolutely nothing. Realizing that the true cost of your oil change is what you paid plus the opportunity cost of your time, it may be worth looking at what your 3K oci with m1 is getting you relative to the cost. No benefit whatsoever vs real costs in terms of oil and the value of your time would seemly call your current regime into question.

When using full synthetic oil I change my filter midway through the OCI. Granted I do this on my cars with top mounted cartridge fillters that are easy to change. It gives me peace of mind.

Originally Posted By: FuQ2

Admittedly, 3K / M1 OC may be costly and technically un-necessary. I guess my question was is there any harm in over doing the OC's. Someone posted about initial wear metal spike. That makes no sense to me. So new oil is more abrasive?
laugh.gif

In my humble opinion, it appears that the oil reaches a saturation limit early on and it can only hold so much heavy metals in suspension. These are freed by the detergent packages in the fresh oil and as the oil gets older it retains the same amount of wear metals. Therefore it appears that newer oil has more metal (because the detergents flushed them). Again this is my opinion.

I'm thinking about doing the same thing but I don't know if I have a "quality" filter (Bosch) on my car.

Maybe I'll get some guidance soon lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back