Nulon 5w30 Euro any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Full_Sy...l/#.U2X0LSjWMTQ

I have seen this oil in shop and it is allot cheaper than the rest, it says it has Molybdenum Dithiocarbamate added to it which the rest do not, does that make wear numbers lower, their site claims that their oil has less wear compared to the major brands but I am sceptica. I have 5l of luqui moly toptec 4200 and 4 litres of mobil 1 esp formula on me, how do I do a UOA, I want to see which oil out of the Mobil, Nulon and Liqui moly is the best for my car.

I think its a pretty average oil. The VI of 147 is middle of the road and is a low SAPS oil. I also don't believe the oil is certified MB 229.51, BMW or VW approved. Its just 'formulated' to 'meet' the specs. Penrite actually get get their major oils certified (you can see their certificates online) and also don't resort to the whole MoDTC marking ploy which is why I prefer them and still are reasonably priced.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply and information, so you recommend penrite over nulon, When I run out of my reserves of LM and Mobil I will buy penrite, I tried avoiding nulon until my warranty is up because I heard its not certified by VW and did not want to give VW any excuse to void my warranty.

Does switching motor oils of the same spec but different brand harm the engine? I noticed that some manufacturers state that it is not recommended, because after I use the liqui moly and mobil are used, in 4 years the car would have had 4 brands of oil in it, Castrol, Shell, Liqui Moly and Mobil, and I plan on mixing the left overs and create a liqui mobil penrite hybrid to make the 3.6l needed for another change, would that harm the motor in any way?

Last edited:
There was a Nulon thread recently. I'm not a fan. This is a VW507 oil that also meets ACEA A3/B4 which is impossible. I'm sure it will work fine for a C3/VW507, but their claims have a lot to be desired and do not inspire confidence.

Originally Posted By: super_slav
Thank you for your reply and information, so you recommend penrite over nulon, When I run out of my reserves of LM and Mobil I will buy penrite, I tried avoiding nulon until my warranty is up because I heard its not certified by VW and did not want to give VW any excuse to void my warranty.

Does switching motor oils of the same spec but different brand harm the engine? I noticed that some manufacturers state that it is not recommended, because after I use the liqui moly and mobil are used, in 4 years the car would have had 4 brands of oil in it, Castrol, Shell, Liqui Moly and Mobil, and I plan on mixing the left overs and create a liqui mobil penrite hybrid to make the 3.6l needed for another change, would that harm the motor in any way?

As long as you use an approved oil you can switch as often as you like. No blender is going to "recommend" you to switch from their brand.

Castrol has recently released an Edge 5w30 with VW507 approval. Basically Longlife III in a retail pack.

Last edited:
Bump !
Looks like Nulon have sorted out some of the issues with this product (5W30 European Synthetic Oil).

It's now an Approved VW504.00 petrol and VW507.00 diesel oil that is a full synthetic using PAO base stock. It's a low SAPS oil for DPF's and CAT's.

No claims of Moly or A3/B4 in their spec sheet anymore. But some old stock has A3/B4 instead of the correct C3 on the bottle. The web page and spec sheet are very clear it's only a C3 oil.

It's rated ACEA C3, API SN, BMW LL-04, MB 229.51 and VW 504 / 507.00

KV40 = 76.39 cSt
KV100 = 12.04 cSt
SA = 0.5 %
TBN = 5.4
VI = 154

If it is what it claims to be, then it's a fairly decent (Oz) price. The only other oil that I know claiming VW 504 / 507 is Valvoline SynPower XL-III. I'm sure there are more, just not around me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back