New Tacoma V6 Break-in and LSPI

So much of warranty issues being processed or denied are based on ones personal relationship with a dealer. The cool thing is with my research I have never heard of a single person being denied a warranty claim with an OTT tune.
The dealership can easily charge a customer 1 hour of labor to overwrite the OTT tune with a factory Toyota tune, to do appropriate diagnostics.

If you tell them don't reflash the ECU, it's going to draw suspicion.

And the fact is....how often does someone blow a motor/trans etc.? Almost never. The small things that a warranty usually is used for are almost always covered b/c they aren't related in any way to an ECU tune.
If a person is going to explore the limits of the engine.... they'll blow up something. I know a person who blew up his engine on his Tiguan by attempting to get a ECU tune for a IS38 turbo. Bent rods. Good thing the engine failed before it damaged the transmission, since the IS38 tune would have easily exceeded the torque capacity on the Aisin transmission.

Of course, he knows better and didn't try to take it to the dealership and try to plea ignorance.

The reason for VW's TD1 flag? VW got tired of owners taking their modded cars in for VW to warranty repairs caused by the modding, since warranty repairs has to cost someone money.

And... remember that tuned Hellcat that Chrysler denied warranty repair?

Right on cue
I believe it is important to point that out when people keep on continuing imagine that it does.

Like I’ve asked before which one of the material tests in an API license or manufacturer approval is completed with a VOA? Where do you see this in the Sequences?

And yet we still have untrained individuals determining that one oil is better than another through a spectrographic analysis. Or worse, a goofy test that isn’t even applicable to motor oils and is being executed in a completely useless manner.

I believe it is important to point that out when people keep on continuing imagine that it does.

Like I’ve asked before which one of the material tests in an API license or manufacturer approval is completed with a VOA? Where do you see this in the Sequences?

And yet we still have untrained individuals determining that one oil is better than another through a spectrographic analysis. Or worse, a goofy test that isn’t even applicable to motor oils and is being executed in a completely useless manner.
I got you, it’s pretty sad that you have to repeat that 10,000 times and will have to continue to do so

You’re so obsessed with this topic you’re randomly bringing it into a totally unrelated thread completely unprompted.

In reality, you manipulate conversations so you can have your self-righteous monologues, and you know it.

You’re so obsessed with this topic you’re randomly bringing it into a totally unrelated thread completely unprompted.

In reality, you manipulate conversations so you can have your self-righteous monologues, and you know it.
Tell me what I’m technically incorrect about and I’ll listen.

People put all sorts of magical importance on a spectrographic analysis. Or that an oil improved their idle vibrations. Or that they can attribute a small observed fuel economy difference to an effect that’s deep in the noise.

What am I wrong about?

What is it that you are trying to achieve with the tune and oil change and treatment etc?
Stock Tacomas with the 6sp auto drive like crap. The gear hunting and odd shifting is pretty bad. It makes the truck annoying to drive.

Most people using ECU remaps on Tacomas are trying to fix the trash shift maps and gain a little HP.

Stock Tacomas with the 6sp auto drive like crap. The gear hunting and odd shifting is pretty bad. It makes the truck annoying to drive.

Most people using ECU remaps on Tacomas are trying to fix the trash shift maps and gain a little HP.
That's why I went with the less reliable but much more fun to drive Colorado ZR2. 😁 I drove a 2019 TRD Off-road. Automatic. Was terrible. Seating position is also terrible.

Although honestly I don't know if the Colorado is less reliable than the Tacoma. If you take the 8 speed issues out of the equation, the LGZ is very reliable. There are many that are now over 200k on these engines with no problems.

Last edited:
That's why I went with the less reliable but much more fun to drive Colorado ZR2. 😁 I drove a 2019 TRD Off-road. Automatic. Was terrible. Seating position is also terrible.

Although honestly I don't know if the Colorado is less reliable than the Tacoma. If you take the 8 speed issues out of the equation, the LGZ is very reliable. There are many that are now over 200k on these engines with no problems.
Yeah, I really don’t like the 3rd gen Tacoma and I regret buying one. It is tolerable with tune, regear, and seat jackers, but I wouldn’t buy one again. I might sell mine soon.

Andre the TFL guy has been documenting a nightmare set of issues with a bricked Colorado. I haven’t followed it closely but it seems pretty unacceptable.

LSPI is generally catastrophic. You’re seeing regular old pre-ignition which is caused by other issues, not the oil. Knock sensors are not for detecting LSPI, it’s far more complicated.

This is a great answer.

First LSPI is not going to occur in an N/A V6 engine at all. It's almost exclusively to small displacement turbo di engines. Not even turbo V6 or larger

Second to the OP if you are looking to change gear hunting and transmission responsiveness this will only be solved with a transmission tune (the engine tuning would be for preparatory commands around shifts).

The knk sensor activity is picking up detonation not LSPI. Any stumbling you're feeling can be from literally dozens of hardware or calibration related factors.

Id personally load the stock map first and foremost to see what the behavior is on it

I hate to tell you the Tacoma with the 6 speed manual drives like crap too... :ROFLMAO:

It's more tolerable than the automatic, butt not much better...

Just curious, but is the 3.5 not strong enough?

Just the clunky shifting and oddly spaced gearing. If you need to back a trailer you need to put it in 4LO or you're smoking the clutch the the super low reverse. You do have the ability to wind it out longer to take advantage of the 3.5's lack oftorque band. The wonky clutch you'll never get a good shift. Passengers think you are a total noob behind the wheel.

Just the clunky shifting and oddly spaced gearing. If you need to back a trailer you need to put it in 4LO or you're smoking the clutch the the super low reverse. You do have the ability to wind it out longer to take advantage of the 3.5's lack oftorque band. The wonky clutch you'll never get a good shift. Passengers think you are a total noob behind the wheel.
Does it have a delay valve built into the clutch hydraulic line?

My BMW had one, but I took care of it. Clutch operation returned to normal. When I first got the car, I thought something was wrong with the clutch.

But, I don't know if Toyota uses them on the Tacomas.

Does it have a delay valve built into the clutch hydraulic line?

My BMW had one, but I took care of it. Clutch operation returned to normal. When I first got the car, I thought something was wrong with the clutch.

But, I don't know if Toyota uses them on the Tacomas.

There is a clutch delay valve, but I'm not removing it. Truck is too new to be messing with it. It will still have the clunky and odd shifts.

My MK7 GTI had the clutch delay valve, but it wasn't intrusive at all. That car was great shifting. Even that worn out Talon I had with a ridiculous stage 2 clutch shifted better than my Tacoma.

However, IMO it is still a better truck than the others in the midsize line up. This is purely opinion.

Back