Euro oil choices for an engine with higher than normal operating temperatures.

Thanks. So 40 weight's is better at the track then 30 weight because of it's ability to handle the high heat, or the higher RPM's, or both?
It's primarily heat - more RPM = more heat. My car will sit at 270-280deg F for 20+ min while on track. You want as much protection as possible in that scenario. Your situation isn't anywhere close to this level of abuse. Any basic oil really is ok for you here and if you are concerned just shorten the OCI which is what you were already doing. A 5qt of the QS Euro 5W40 is only a few more bucks than ST. This concern with the variable cylinder management w/r to heat seems unfounded; just defeat it and problem solved.

Last edited:
I used to own a 1994 VW Passat with the VR6 engine.
it was known to run hot on the pil.
As a result VW recommmeded in the manual 20w-50 as summer oil and 15w-40 as winter oil, though in Minneosta I ran 10w-40 Valvoline Durablend with ACEA A3 approval and in summer M1 15w-50. ( there were no good 5w-40s, 0w-40s available back then).

Oil temps even in winter would be above 230F ( as indicated by the digital oil temp read out in the car) and hard accleration up a ramp in summer would get the oil up to 260 F if memory serves.
Any ACEA A3 oil will be sufficent preferably a Xw-40.
I dont know where you live, but in high summer in the US South, I would run M1 15w-50 as I did for many years with my VW VR6 even in northern summers.

It's primarily heat - more RPM = more heat. My car will sit at 270-280deg F for 20+ min while on track. You want as much protection as possible in that scenario. Your situation isn't anywhere close to this level of abuse. Any basic oil really is ok for you here and if you are concerned just shorten the OCI which is what you were already doing. A 5qt of the QS Euro 5W40 is only a few more bucks than ST. This concern with the variable cylinder management w/r to heat seems unfounded; just defeat it and problem solved.
Yes, I think the majority of issues with varnish/sludge in these Honda J35 V-6's with VCM enabled came with people using conventional 5W-20 oil and following the maintenance minder. Using a HTHS = 3.5 Euro oil (with a MB 229.5x and Porsche A40 approval) should really help to keep these engines clean (without sludge/varnish).

Yes, I think the majority of issues with varnish/sludge in these Honda J35 V-6's with VCM enabled came with people using conventional 5W-20 oil and following the maintenance minder. Using a HTHS = 3.5 Euro oil (with a MB 229.5x and Porsche A40 approval) should really help to keep these engines clean (without sludge/varnish).
Agreed. My neighbor had an '09 (and I had an '06) Odyssey...hers was dead after 175K b/c of heavy oil consumption and guess what...crappy chain place oil changes likely with basic conv. oil.

Last edited:
I used to consider the oil temp of my 2002 Jaguar XKR to be on the high side, as it would get up to 235-240 F when stuck in traffic during the hottest summer days. But it would always come down to 220-230 at highway speeds of 70-90 mph.

But after reading some of these posts, I’m reassured that a good 40 wt oil (M-1 0w-40 FS) is easily up to the task.

You guys running on the track with oil temperatures over 250 F, do you have an oil cooler thats thermostatically controlled ? And what is your oil capacity ?

Just curious.

Z

I used to own a 1994 VW Passat with the VR6 engine.
it was known to run hot on the pil.
As a result VW recommmeded in the manual 20w-50 as summer oil and 15w-40 as winter oil, though in Minneosta I ran 10w-40 Valvoline Durablend with ACEA A3 approval and in summer M1 15w-50. ( there were no good 5w-40s, 0w-40s available back then).

Oil temps even in winter would be above 230F ( as indicated by the digital oil temp read out in the car) and hard accleration up a ramp in summer would get the oil up to 260 F if memory serves.
Any ACEA A3 oil will be sufficent preferably a Xw-40.
I dont know where you live, but in high summer in the US South, I would run M1 15w-50 as I did for many years with my VW VR6 even in northern summers.
This engine is far from that VR6. Pilot I have, of 102,000 miles, spent 98,000 in Las Vegas using 5W20. However, Colorado altitude is actually more challenging cooling wise.

I used to consider the oil temp of my 2002 Jaguar XKR to be on the high side, as it would get up to 235-240 F when stuck in traffic during the hottest summer days. But it would always come down to 220-230 at highway speeds of 70-90 mph.

But after reading some of these posts, I’m reassured that a good 40 wt oil (M-1 0w-40 FS) is easily up to the task.

You guys running on the track with oil temperatures over 250 F, do you have an oil cooler thats thermostatically controlled ? And what is your oil capacity ?

Just curious.

Z
Oil cooler is only heat exchanger with the cooling system (so a warmer too). 6qt capacity. No external radiator-style oil cooler...yet.

Oil cooler is only heat exchanger with the cooling system (so a warmer too). 6qt capacity. No external radiator-style oil cooler...yet.

my ‘02 XKR came with a factory equipped external oil cooler with its own thermostat. Which begins to open 217 F and doesn’t fully open until 246F. So Jaguar must not be too concerned with oil temperatures that I was thinking were too high. Oil capacity is 7.5 liters, nearly 8 quarts. A goodly amount for a smallish engine .

btw, It’s a supercharged small V-8 of 4 liters. Not a sports car (too heavy) but a nice GT. So far it’s its aging gracefully with no reliability issues.

A nearly identical Jaguar model, the XK8 (no supercharger) does not come with the factory oil cooler.

Ypu really, really don’t need Redline, which is track oil. Unless you track your car. I ran Mobil1 0W40 at track with oil temperature hitting 300f. Your engine won’t ever go through that on the street.
Street oils, especially European stuff, is always best choice if car is not spending a lot of time on the track.
I think, in general, it’s best to avoid track oil for street use. The HTHS and viscosity may be there in a track/racing oil, but the additives are all wrong for any kind of reasonable time in service. The Mobil 1 0W40 holds up for 10,000 miles with ease in my MB and would be among my recommendations for an engine that sees abnormally high oil temps. It’s readily available and relatively inexpensive for what it is. Of course, HPL will hold up well in this application.

But I wonder what the “locally high” oil temps really mean? Where is the data to support the claim? Is it really locally high, was it measured? Or have they inferred that temperature from oil deposits, which may have another cause, such as the inadequate PCV?

Would it not be simpler to get the VCM disabled if you believe that is the root cause of this problem?

Final thought - my kid brother has an Odyssey with this engine. Has not installed a VCM disabler. Changes his oil at 5,000 miles with regular 5W30 Mobil 1. 240,000 miles. No problems.

I think, in general, it’s best to avoid track oil for street use. The HTHS and viscosity may be there in a track/racing oil, but the additives are all wrong for any kind of reasonable time in service. The Mobil 1 0W40 holds up for 10,000 miles with ease in my MB and would be among my recommendations for an engine that sees abnormally high oil temps. It’s readily available and relatively inexpensive for what it is. Of course, HPL will hold up well in this application.

But I wonder what the “locally high” oil temps really mean? Where is the data to support the claim? Is it really locally high, was it measured? Or have they inferred that temperature from oil deposits, which may have another cause, such as the inadequate PCV?

Would it not be simpler to get the VCM disabled if you believe that is the root cause of this problem?

Final thought - my kid brother has an Odyssey with this engine. Has not installed a VCM disabler. Changes his oil at 5,000 miles with regular 5W30 Mobil 1. 240,000 miles. No problems.
This. I had an '06 that I had sold in 2018 with 135K miles, no drama, no disabler (just several rounds of v. expensive motor mounts haha). I never thought these V6s were particuarly hard on oil, 5K with conventional is all I ever did.

I disabled the VCM on the 19. I use Amsoil SS 0W20 and follow the olm. No issues. I also use Redline SL1 at 60% and 20% olm.

Back