Euro oil choices for an engine with higher than normal operating temperatures.

Just looking for some expert advice on which Euro ACEA A3/B4 or ACEA C3 oils with HTHS > 3.5 (5W-30 or 5W-40)
would do best in an engine with higher than normal operating temperatures. As many of you know the 3rd gen Honda J35 V6 with VCM enabled has some extreme hot spots on the front cylinder heads which is murder on the oil and requires shorter OCI's.

I'm looking for a low to medium priced Euro 5W-30/5W-40 oil that would be "best at resisting forming deposits in high heat applications".

Possible choices could be (but not limited to):
Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30
Castrol A3/B4 5W-30
Pennzoil Euro L 5W-30
Quaker State Euro 5W-40

HPL would be a good choice which I am considering, but also wanted to look at lower priced alternatives.

Thanks

Just looking for some expert advice on which Euro ACEA A3/B4 or ACEA C3 oils with HTHS > 3.5 (5W-30 or 5W-40)
would do best in an engine with higher than normal operating temperatures. As many of you know the 3rd gen Honda J35 V6 with VCM enabled has some extreme hot spots on the front cylinder heads which is murder on the oil and requires shorter OCI's.

I'm looking for a low to medium priced Euro 5W-30/5W-40 oil that would be "best at resisting forming deposits in high heat applications".

Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30
Castrol A3/B4 5W-30
Pennzoil Euro L 5W-30
Quaker State Euro 5W-40

HPL would be a good choice which I am considering, but also wanted to look at lower priced alternatives.

Thanks
Are the Hot Spots on the Cylinder head maybe a Cooling Issue with inadequate airflow or a Water Pump issue. I would call Dave at HPL if I were you and explain everything to him and get his advice.

Have you verified Coolant or Oil temps?

Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30
Castrol A3/B4 5W-30
Pennzoil Euro L 5W-30
Quaker State Euro 5W-40

Thanks
ANY of the above!

The MB 229.52 standard is probably the most stringent euro standard in terms of oxidation. M1 ESP 5W-30 has this cert. The Pennzoil Euro L doesn't. Not sure about the others.

If you're concerned about high cylinder temperatures, you can reduce the glycol content of your coolant a bit for better conductivity, if you don't need the freeze protection of a 50/50 mix.

Yes, any of them, but M1 ESP 5W-30 get's my vote.

I'd love to see some data (coolant and oil temp) first if there's an actual reason for a
concern.
If so I'd consider to adapt water/coolant ratio depending on area and lowest occuring
winter temps. Water provides a better heat capacity than glycol/coolant. For example
40 % coolant and 60 % water or even 30/70.

The MB 229.52 standard is probably the most stringent euro standard in terms of oxidation. M1 ESP 5W-30 has this cert. The Pennzoil Euro L doesn't. Not sure about the others.

If you're concerned about high cylinder temperatures, you can reduce the glycol content of your coolant a bit for better conductivity, if you don't need the freeze protection of a 50/50 mix.
Any BMW approval is most stringent in that department.

Are the Hot Spots on the Cylinder head maybe a Cooling Issue with inadequate airflow or a Water Pump issue. I would call Dave at HPL if I were you and explain everything to him and get his advice.

Have you verified Coolant or Oil temps?
The hot spots are due to the Variable Cylinder Management and a poorly designed PCV valve.
It's a design defect.

Someone recently posted about Amsoil Teost tests which indirectly apply to your need of stability at high temperatures. I would also look at oils with a robust Group V component such as Red Line.
If you have a link to that test, it would be greatly appreciated.
Redline is an interesting choice.

If you have a link to that test, it would be greatly appreciated.
Redline is an interesting choice.
Ypu really, really don’t need Redline, which is track oil. Unless you track your car. I ran Mobil1 0W40 at track with oil temperature hitting 300f. Your engine won’t ever go through that on the street.
Street oils, especially European stuff, is always best choice if car is not spending a lot of time on the track.

After some additional research, I really like the stringent test reqirements of the MB 229.5x approvals.
It might be prudent to choose the lowest price oil with that approval.

After some additional research, I really like the stringent test reqirements of the MB 229.5x approvals.
It might be prudent to choose the lowest price oil with that approval.
MB229.5=high SAPS oil (Castrol Edge 5W30 A3, Mobil1 0W40FS in Wal Mart).
MB229.51= Low/Mid SAPS oil (Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30 in Wal Mart.

Ypu really, really don’t need Redline, which is track oil. Unless you track your car. I ran Mobil1 0W40 at track with oil temperature hitting 300f. Your engine won’t ever go through that on the street.
Street oils, especially European stuff, is always best choice if car is not spending a lot of time on the track.
100%. That van won't get anywhere close to track temps.

Hi. What is meant by higher than normal operating temperatures?

We have a 2005 Vauxhall/Opel Astra with the Z16XEP petrol engine. This engine runs hot. The thermostat starts to open at 105c and the normal operating temperature is 108-110c. Cooling fan starts up at about 115c. Have been told this is to keep emissions down.

Anyway, this engine is at 135,000 miles and has had a constant 'diet' of C3 5W/30 oil. A mixture of Dexos2 or MB229.51 that i use in my Jeep. I did a couple of changes with Shell Helix Ultra 5w/40 that was a MB229.5 so was an A3/B4. I got this cheap.

This engine runs smoothly and does not burn a drop of oil.

Back