Any reason NOT to buy the Euro version?

I feel like when buying oil now, it would seem silly not to buy the Euro version of the oil. I know it only applies to certain grades, but if i had to buy a 5w30….. PP or PP Euro L, im grabbing Euro L. Assuming not DI or turbo. At least for now. More and more are becoming SP anyway. The regular oil just seems “not as good”. Mobil 1 Esp 5w30 is sp. why would you even buy regurlar Mobil 1 or even EP

Last edited:
I feel like when buying oil now, it would seem silly not to buy the Euro version of the oil. I know it only applies to certain grades, but if i had to buy a 5w30….. PP or PP Euro L, im grabbing Euro L. Assuming not DI or turbo. At least for now. More and more are becoming SP anyway. The regular oil just seems “not as good”. Mobil 1 Esp 5w30 is sp. why would you even buy regurlar Mobil 1 or even EP
It would be hard to find a modern Euro engine that is not either DI or equipped with a turbo. No need to avoid Euro oils in either of those two scenarios.

I guess if you thought the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) knew nothing you could always depend on the Europeans. Having said that I run Euro 5w40 in my Chevy 6 liter with 240,000 miles, just to have the high side of the viscosity range without resorting to a 50 grade oil. I run 5w30 SP in my other vehicles.

It would be hard to find a modern Euro engine that is not either DI or equipped with a turbo. No need to avoid Euro oils in either of those two scenarios.
Im curious why ESP 0W30 only meets C3. I want them to update it. Seems like it would then be the “perfect” oil

I run euro oil in my gm 5.3l and Toyota 2GRFE 3.5.

Currently running M1 ESP 0w30. Though I wish it had higher TBN.

Got it off craigslist for $3/qt. (She said they sold Mercedes diesel and they didn't think it was appropriate for the new Range Rover.) Works for me.

I think we need to be more specific on the type of Euro oil to choose. Most of us here hold MB 229.5 in high regard. I'm certain that there is also a Porsche/VW spec that is equally tough to meet, providing an excellent oil.
Saying that, I doubt that ALL euro oils meet those tough specifications.

Back