Shorter Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up some Microgard filters at O'Reilly's during a recent visit to the US.

I noticed the Microgards, manufactured by Purolator, are about an inch shorter than the regular-labelled Purolators (PL14610).

Is there anything that should be of concern if I am planning on 5-7k OCIs and using the Microgards?

IMHO, I'd say you have nothing to worry about. The filter for my 6.0 is barely any larger than the one that goes on my sisters Civic. I think it's what's inside the filter that counts. Just my 2 cents!

The outside of a filter and how much media it has inside can be quite different. I think the 10193 I ran recently was as big as the Purolator on the outside, but had less media. And the Purolator had less than they used to. I can hardly wait to see how much the STP 3950 I am running now has.

Of course, as I keep saying, the quality of the media is a great unknown. It is quite possible for less media to do a better job.

I noticed the same thing on Quaker State filters in the 14610 size (actually labelled as a QS16 - but made by Puro). Super Techs (champion e-cores) in that size are also shorter. dont know whats up.

I have been chopping oil filters open for 10 years or so. There is a steady down trend in size both inside and outside. The Ecore has a radical new construction and may allow the same media in a smaller space. You can always pack in more pleats.

I have been ragging on Purolator pretty hard for their reduced media, but may find the STP on my truck now no better.

The newer numbers are smaller too. The PF 9 my truck called for 30 years ago was huge. The PF 52 wasn't as fat, and the PF 47 is shorter than it is. Maybe we don't need tons of media.

Originally Posted By: Spector
Maybe the manufacturers of the vehicles are slowly telling us we do not need oil filters any more!

I think this is the case, OIL is not really as dirty out of the bottle as it used to be.

I think the real purpose of a oil filter is to catch the bigger things that may cause actual engine damage; While also picking up contaminants and microscopic particles along the way.

Does a bigger filter benefit the longer OCI past 5k: Defenentaly.
Does a smaller filter affect 5k oci's and risk damaging your engine? IMO I do not think so. Personally I prefer a larger filter vs the smaller ones, but I will use a small filter if it's what I have on hand at the time and I won't even look back.

Look at this: My shop had a 2000 astro van with the Vortec 4.3l that was the same as my truck. This van made it to 225K miles before the tranny blew. The van had a filter that was HALF the size of my Sierra with virtually the same 4.3l vortec. The engine had no oil related issues and it had a very small filter. Almost the same size filter my old 2.0L pontiac sunbird had. This van was abused, used for towing, driven like a race car and not one failure.

So basically IMO if you can use a bigger filter, by all means go for it! But don't worry if you get a small one. It won't make much difference for the regular 5k oil changer like me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back