STP XL Oil Filter opinions

After my stash of OEM Mopar filters are done I’m looking for a good 99% 20 micron filter to start using. It was going to be Fram Ultras but it seems the build quality has gone down hill as of late.

It’ll be for both newer vehicles. 2021 Ram and 2021 Jeep that get OCI’s of no more than 5-7k.

Unless I’m mistaken, but with the research I’ve done the STP XL filters are 99% and seem to have great build quality. And at around $10 (even less when on sale) I’m not sure I have seen a “better” option.

Just looking to pick y’all’s brain. Thanks!

After my stash of OEM Mopar filters are done I’m looking for a good 99% 20 micron filter to start using. It was going to be Fram Ultras but it seems the build quality has gone down hill as of late.

It’ll be for both newer vehicles. 2021 Ram and 2021 Jeep that get OCI’s of no more than 5-7k.

Unless I’m mistaken, but with the research I’ve done the STP XL filters are 99% and seem to have great build quality. And at around $10 (even less when on sale) I’m not sure I have seen a “better” option.

I cut a STP Blue # 10290 that was champion labs made at work. Had 12k on it. Pleats straight and not lot of gunk in can. I’d run one.

AFAIK they're made by Champ now, should be the same as the Champ XL. Might be cheaper on Rock Auto, unless buying an oil change special.

I cut a STP Blue # 10290 that was champion labs made at work. Had 12k on it. Pleats straight and not lot of gunk in can. I’d run one.
I realized I have one in the Wife’s Jeep already, it’s a cartridge filter. I’ll post pictures of it when I do the oil change here in a month or so.

I just ordered a $20 Amazon oil filter cutter, I’m going to start seeing how things are holding up on the others. Give myself a new hobby lol

Seems like a quality filter. Other good high-efficiency options are FRAM Endurance and PurolatorOne.

Of the three, the FRAM uses the thickest metal for its can. The STP XL and POne are about as thin as filter cans get. The PurolatorOne is the only one with an integrated bypass valve (reduces risk of leaky leaf springs). It's also less restrictive than the FRAM, and the STP probably is as well given the simlilar media.

They all have the same efficiency claims, but these claims are often exaggerated. The old FRAM Ultra was shown to greatly exceed FRAM's efficiency claims, and the Endurance has similar full-synthetic media. I'd expect it to be the most efficient. The STP and PurolatorOne have similar synthetic blend media with fiberglass, and I'd guess they'd perform similarly.

I'd probably go with the Endurance in most applications, for it's better burst and puncture resistance, and possibly better efficiency. The STP XL and POne seem very good as well and are probably cheaper.

I'm not big on these. They seem to source them from wherever they can. If you look at different numbers they are clearly built by different manufactures. Some of them are Champ built, I'm not sure what this one is. I just find it hard to believe that they can make a blanket spec for the line when they are purchasing them from more than one vendor and don't have any quality control over it. This is a 5.7 hemi filter. Doesn't look very awesome to me. I also added a Parts Plus/microgaurd/etc to compare.

PXL_20240129_234849627.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

PXL_20240129_234829403.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20240129_234822055.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

PXL_20240129_234819064.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

PXL_20240129_234849627.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

17065723187129067117078565588965.jpg

17065723446457718856242915362987.jpg

17065723667927858310630521376051.jpg

Last edited:
I’m using the cartridge ones for my Hyundai and they’re made in Korea but the CRV filters I’m using are made in China running 4500 OCI on both and no problem. Been using a couple years. And by the way the Hyundai are from Premium Guard.

I've cut open some new and used made in china STP XL filters here a few months back, you can search for them. Build quality wise they're excellent for the money you pay for and have run a couple of them for sometime before switching to FRAM wire backed filters.

I'm my experience they are either champ construction or PG Vietnam. Never seen a made in Mexico champ though. The silicone gasket is PG. The champ ones I got I returned because the louvers were terrible.

I'm my experience they are either champ construction or PG Vietnam. Never seen a made in Mexico champ though. The silicone gasket is PG. The champ ones I got I returned because the louvers were terrible.
That’s another thing I like about Premium Guard, they use holes, lots of them. No squinting down the tube with your phone flashlight in the store trying to see if the louvers are properly open.

Back