STP XL oil filters again

I have mentioned before about the inconsistency of vendors supplying the STP XL filters from AutoZone. I just ordered six and they are a mix of the Vietnam MicroGard/others and what appears to be a CHAMP made E-Core filter. Unsure if this is bad or not I just prefer to know what I'm getting ahead of time.

PXL_20240404_131813234.jpg

PXL_20240404_131743292.jpg

PXL_20240404_131729320.jpg

PXL_20240404_131805192.jpg

PXL_20240404_131759213.jpg

IDK how it works for ordering AZ STP filters online, but in my observation what one gets in an b&m AZ store seems to depend on region. Locally for some time the XL has been a Champ Labs ecore with silicone adbv. Seems basically equivalent to the Super Tech MP series. So, seems AZ does have at least two suppliers for the XL. Reads like, whoever supplying XL online picking and choosing which is sent. Might have to go to store if want to see what you get ahead of time.

Since mentioning Super Tech MP series, was in WM yesterday and only saw ONE MP series spin on filter. Makes me wonder if they are getting rid of the MP line. ST series did seem to have many on the shelf. A shame imo, if WM dropping MP line.

Since STP is just marketing these filters they are constantly changing vendors. Just for one of my model numbers alone I've seen three different filter brands inside the box over just the last couple of years. It's not just a regional thing either as they were in the same area but could have some impact still.

IDK how it works for ordering AZ STP filters online, but in my observation what one gets in an b&m AZ store seems to depend on region. Locally for some time the XL has been a Champ Labs ecore with silicone adbv. Seems basically equivalent to the Super Tech MP series. So, seems AZ does have at least two suppliers for the XL. Reads like, whoever supplying XL online picking and choosing which is sent. Might have to go to store if want to see what you get ahead of time.

Since mentioning Super Tech MP series, was in WM yesterday and only saw ONE MP series spin on filter. Makes me wonder if they are getting rid of the MP line. ST series did seem to have many on the shelf. A shame imo, if WM dropping MP line.
They did have some of those ST MP price marked down so stock is probably slim as a result.

Several people here have noticed that, so it's not just where you are. Lots of speculation the MP's may be goners.

They did have some of those ST MP price marked down so stock is probably slim as a result.
Thing is, excepting the lone MP application, don't even see shelf slots for any MP series at all.

As for topic, just assumed when 'ordering' mentioned that it meant for some type of home delivery. So even delivery to store, can be question mark as to which XL will be received.

Thing is, excepting the lone MP application, don't even see shelf slots for any MP series at all.

As for topic, just assumed when 'ordering' mentioned that it meant for some type of home delivery. So even delivery to store, can be question mark as to which XL will be received.
Interesting 🤔

Just for information purposes…
Advance Auto parts in my area has the Carquest Premium filters that are Premium Guard. And the price for an equivalent 7317 it is $7.79 …
Not too shabby.

And Napa in my area now is using PG filters as their Gold filters. Though at a higher price of $12.99 a filter.

Which makes AAP Carquest Premium filters made by PG a very good deal.

Just for information purposes…
Advance Auto parts in my area has the Carquest Premium filters that are Premium Guard. And the price for an equivalent 7317 it is $7.79 …
Not too shabby.

And Napa in my area now is using PG filters as their Gold filters. Though at a higher price of $12.99 a filter.

Which makes AAP Carquest Premium filters made by PG a very good deal.
Beem noticing the trend looks like Premium Guard is taking the retail private label market by storm.

Beem noticing the trend looks like Premium Guard is taking the retail private label market by storm.

Yes sir… You got that right.

interesting that Federated Auto parts was the very first place I saw the Premium Guard XL filters and their regular filters at for sale. And that was in 2017 or so.

I was impressed then with their construction and efficiency.

I hope with increased demand quality doesn't go down.

Between Carquest Premiums at AAP with discount codes, and Amazon / Walmart online sales you can pick up synthetic blend 10k Premium Guard made filters in the 6-to-7-dollar range pretty consistently. And I'd much rather run one of those over a 9 plus dollar Fram Ultra.

MicroGard Selects and STP XL's can be purchased in oil change bundles for a decent price as well. But then your buying oil at an auto parts store and better deals may be had elsewhere.

Yes sir… You got that right.

interesting that Federated Auto parts was the very first place I saw the Premium Guard XL filters and their regular filters at for sale. And that was in 2017 or so.

I was impressed then with their construction and efficiency.

Out of all the cut opens I've done from the cheap STP blue and black cans, its certainly some of the best looking in assembly quality.
I usually salvage the silicone gasket whenever I remove them because they still retain their shape and form even after the harsh service they go through compared to nitrile which those happens to permanently deform and squish shape appearance on filter removal.

I hope with increased demand quality doesn't go down.

Between Carquest Premiums at AAP with discount codes, and Amazon / Walmart online sales you can pick up synthetic blend 10k Premium Guard made filters in the 6-to-7-dollar range pretty consistently. And I'd much rather run one of those over a 9 plus dollar Fram Ultra.

MicroGard Selects and STP XL's can be purchased in oil change bundles for a decent price as well. But then your buying oil at an auto parts store and better deals may be had elsewhere.

I notice PGI actually have slightly different designs for the same cross ref. For example the MSL51516 is a much longer filter than the S3600XL, for the same money. Looking at Carquest variation in material selection also comes into play e.g. nitrile gasket vs silicone but has silicone ADBV. They seem to have some sort of ODM service for private labels to customize their design, kinda giving fresh air over a simple paintjob most OES seem to do these days.

Out of all the cut opens I've done from the cheap STP blue and black cans, its certainly some of the best looking in assembly quality.
I usually salvage the silicone gasket whenever I remove them because they still retain their shape and form even after the harsh service they go through compared to nitrile which those happens to permanently deform and squish shape appearance on filter removal.

I notice PGI actually have slightly different designs for the same cross ref. For example the MSL51516 is a much longer filter than the S3600XL, for the same money. Looking at Carquest variation in material selection also comes into play e.g. nitrile gasket vs silicone but has silicone ADBV. They seem to have some sort of ODM service for private labels to customize their design, kinda giving fresh air over a simple paintjob most OES seem to do these days.

You’re right. I noted some of the size differences between various PG 3600 filters in a recent thread.

My Carquest Premium has silicone gasket and ADBV, don’t know if it’s a transitional stock deal or what.

Back