STP/XL Synthetic oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually take my used oil to my local Auto Zone since it is the closest auto parts store. I like to buy something while I am there, but their bloated pricing and poor selection usually mean I am buying foamy engine cleaner or something.

I was poking around their website and see an STP - XL Synthetic oil filer
(http://www.autozone.com/external-engine/...PartNumber=true)
for my SS. If I recall correctly, the cheap STP oil filters are made by Champion Labs, but so are the Synthetic media Royal Purple and Amsoil filters. Autozone has it for $8.99 which isn't too bad if it is close to the Royal Purple or Amsoil filter. I've been running Fram Ultra's in everything lately, but I might throw this on the list if it is a decent filter. The site shows it to be 99% efficient at >20 Microns.

Has anyone looked in to these yet? I did a search and didn't see anything. If not, I might go buy one and cut it open to have a look.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Here are two threads on it:

STP XL 1

STP XL 2
Who is this 2015 PSD guy ???
crackmeup2.gif
01.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: CT8
Who is this 2015 PSD guy ???
crackmeup2.gif
01.gif
thumbsup2.gif

LOL - an anomaly? PowerStroke Diesel or Platinum Super Duty?
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Here's one cut open I haven't posted yet showing the burrs

2628f9t.jpg

18yj2t.jpg

15clzdz.jpg

syxpbd.jpg

2z9k7ef.jpg

Hey 901-any wire backing on that "synthetic" media? It doesn't even look synthetic!

Maybe it's "synthetic" synthetic.

Like imitation Naugahyde.

That is an unfortunate piece of machining but the filter certainly has promise.

Especially if Auto Zone starts pitching one in for "free" on their less expensive dino oil change deals.

It would be interesting to know whose factory it is coming out of in Korea.

One of the major commercial filter manufacturers may be trying to ramp up its Korean production using the STP label.

With Rank/FRAM/Champion's prior relationship with STP, you have to wonder.

No this is not synthetic media, with the efficiency it's probably cellulose blended with some glass fibers or resin impregnated cellulose, it's not full microglass like Fram Ultra, Royal Purple, Amsoil EA, etc...

I'm guessing it's resin impregnated cellulose like the older K&N filters used to be but just a guess.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Maybe it's "synthetic" synthetic.

Like imitation Naugahyde.

That is an unfortunate piece of machining but the filter certainly has promise.

Especially if Auto Zone starts pitching one in for "free" on their less expensive dino oil change deals.

It would be interesting to know whose factory it is coming out of in Korea.

One of the major commercial filter manufacturers may be trying to ramp up its Korean production using the STP label.

With Rank/FRAM/Champion's prior relationship with STP, you have to wonder.

I want autozone to include it in their specials as the free one. I would buy them like crazy with the Valvoline specials.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
No this is not synthetic media, with the efficiency it's probably cellulose blended with some glass fibers or resin impregnated cellulose, it's not full microglass like Fram Ultra, Royal Purple, Amsoil EA, etc...

I'm guessing it's resin impregnated cellulose like the older K&N filters used to be but just a guess.

What is it about the efficiency that makes this filter's media not be synthetic? The Purolator Synthetic quotes 99% efficiency at 25 microns per ISO 4548-12 test method.

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/products/oil_filters/Pages/SyntheticOilFilters.aspx

Personally, I think the real question then is whether the STP XL media is wire backed or not. If not, probably a synthetic blend, or a different type of synthetic media than used in other synthetic media filters.

Nothing on the box indicates wire backing, and the pics in this thread are the only ones where I can see the back side of the media through the center tube holes.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3830107/STP_S-3614XL

From what I can see, it doesn't look like it's wire-backed, so probably a synthetic blend media - but still possibly a different synthetic media than that used in the other synthetic media filters. Maybe Motorking will have more details for us after he gets the Champ Labs hotline number removed.

It doesn't have the fuzzy look microglass has. Looks just like K&N and Mobil 1 champ media which isn't microglass.

I already asked Motorking to run a media test on it to determine composition but not sure if he's allowed to share the results and also he said next week he should know.

It looks very much like Ultra 8 brand at Napa.

i had a Ultra 8 brand oil filter that I got at Napa and cut open and the filter part looks very very similar.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
If AZ makes these part of a sweet OCI deal I'd run one. Not at the full asking price though.

Well, now's your chance at Autozone.

https://www.autozone.com/images/MEDIA_ProductCatalog/m4630004_FY16P2-Circular-Rebate.pdf

It's included in the current PP oil change special and a $3 upgrade from the ecore STP filter in the other current Pennzoil oil change specials and the Mobil Super conventional oil change special.

If they made one in the 'long' Honda 7317 size, I'd give it a shot just to try something different. Why not? It looks like a decent filter regardless of where it's made or what it compares to in price. It's not like $9 is going to break the bank. Same goes for the Castrol SFX filter.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
If they made one in the 'long' Honda 7317 size, I'd give it a shot just to try something different. Why not? It looks like a decent filter regardless of where it's made or what it compares to in price. It's not like $9 is going to break the bank. Same goes for the Castrol SFX filter.

Yeah, but the Castrol SFX filter is actually good, though. Identical to a M1 except for the different paint job.

The lack of a 7317 size is a huge omission, especially for a "premium" filter. There is a Castrol CAS7317 though
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Yeah, but the Castrol SFX filter is actually good, though. Identical to a M1 except for the different paint job.

OK, but I guess I'm not seeing how the STP XL is 'bad'. It has the same type of high-efficiency synthetic blend cellulose media as the M1, a silicone ADBV like the M1, a coil spring in the bypass valve which is arguably better than the M1, and it's cheaper than the M1. So it seems to me that all of the negativity comes from the fact that it's Korean-made and simply not an M1.

It looks like a winner when compared to the M1 but a loser when compared to the Fram Ultra. But that's more of a testament of how good the Ultra is in design/features/performance/price because really nothing else can touch it right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back