STP/XL Synthetic oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Yeah, but the Castrol SFX filter is actually good, though. Identical to a M1 except for the different paint job.

OK, but I guess I'm not seeing how the STP XL is 'bad'. It has the same type of high-efficiency synthetic blend cellulose media as the M1, a silicone ADBV like the M1, a coil spring in the bypass valve which is arguably better than the M1, and it's cheaper than the M1. So it seems to me that all of the negativity comes from the fact that it's Korean-made and simply not an M1.

It looks like a winner when compared to the M1 but a loser when compared to the Fram Ultra. But that's more of a testament of how good the Ultra is in design/features/performance/price because really nothing else can touch it right now.

It boils down to just how much filter you need.

If the STP will deliver for your chosen OCI, then why pay for an Ultra?

I don't do multiple OCI's on my filters so all the extra capacity of the Ultra is a luxury and actually a waste.

My sweet spot is the Wix/NAPA Gold especially when the NAPA filters are on sale.

Stock up at NAPA when you can.

Originally Posted By: jhellwig
So has anyone actually used one or are we just going to pick it apart sight unseen?

They're too new to have been used for a full OCI yet, so you won't see any used filters cut open for at least a month or two.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted By: jhellwig
So has anyone actually used one or are we just going to pick it apart sight unseen?

They're too new to have been used for a full OCI yet, so you won't see any used filters cut open for at least a month or two.

That was my point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back