STP XL Oil Filter opinions

Used many stp 3614xl and 3600xl’s with no issues. Always seemed like good filters. And no louvers on these

After my stash of OEM Mopar filters are done I’m looking for a good 99% 20 micron filter to start using. It was going to be Fram Ultras but it seems the build quality has gone down hill as of late.
Seems lots of people think the "built quality" has gone down because some have slightly wavy pleats after use. How is that really a "quality problem" when other brand filters can also have some wavy pleats after use.

What "build quality" are people actually talking about?

It's also less restrictive than the FRAM, and the STP probably is as well given the simlilar media.
A few more PSI of dP at high flow rate isn't really going to matter to a positive displacement oil pump.

Seems lots of people think the "built quality" has gone down because some have slightly wavy pleats after use. How is that really a "quality problem" when other brand filters can also have some wavy pleats after use.

Poorly cut threads, lousy glue jobs, wavy pleats, and rusty base plates from on newish date codes. I don't think there referring to just one thing.

What you get for an AZ STP XL seemingly depends on region. Locally for a while now the XL has been Champ Labs made. Equivalent to the Super Tech MP series. The latter are rated 99%@30um.

In other areas, seems the XL is a Premium Guard made filter. They closely resemble the Microgard Select EL, those and most PG XL type filters, rated 99%@25 um. If I was interested in any of those PG made filters, I'd look at the AAP Carquest Blue filters, behind the counter. Less cost than all those other PG made filters, but appear very similar to or same as the others inside the can.

Poorly cut threads, lousy glue jobs, wavy pleats, and rusty base plates from on newish date codes. I don't think there referring to just one thing.
I don't recall seeing any "lousy glue jobs" on Ultras posted here. Many other filter brands with sloppy glue jobs have been posted however. All those things can happen on may oil filter brands. Wavy pleats are not quality issues - it doesn't affect anything but the visual looks.

I’m glad you responded, you’re one of the members that I highly respect your opinion here.

I wouldn’t run an OCI long enough to even make them wavy. Wasn’t it an Ultra that Wilson found holes in the media near the seam?

Now I know there is gonna be a debate on if that would make any difference or not. The same could be said about the “purolator torn media” that started 10 years ago. No engine blew up from torn media motorcrafts.

I’ve been a Fram user off and on for over 20 years. Just seems like the quality of their higher end filters isn’t the same as it was before, and that just may be my perception and not based in fact at all. Technology is always changing, so maybe the new filters are just as good as the old ones or better. I’m willing to also believe that as human beings we just don’t like change, and the fact that the “darling Ultra” isn’t the top tier anymore. It’s just something people will have to get used to lol

As all members here, I’m just looking for the best that fits my needs. Anyways, I’m also considering using a Fram TG since it would also fit the bill for my needs. But I don’t think they make one in a cartridge form for the Wife’s Jeep.

Last edited:
I don't recall seeing any "lousy glue jobs" on Ultras posted here. Many other filter brands with sloppy glue jobs have been posted however. All those things can happen on may oil filter brands. Wavy pleats are not quality issues - it doesn't affect anything but the visual looks.

It is a quality issue… Before welfarized by First Brands… Fram EGs looked better than this new cheapened “ Ultra”….

So yeah… it is a quality issue. Enough of that wavy action does not lead to good results. Especially in the taller and longer oil filters.

Now the latest Fram Ulta looked a fair amount better than the previous ones. If that trend continues then at least they added more filter media to stop acting like they are cheap.

It is a quality issue… Before welfarized by First Brands… Fram EGs looked better than this new cheapened “ Ultra”….

So yeah… it is a quality issue. Enough of that wavy action does not lead to good results. Especially in the taller and longer oil filters.
Technically, it's not really a "quality" issue, because it just boils down to "feelings" on how it should look in someone's mind. Going with that logic, every filter that doesn't have laser starlight pleats after use must be "cheap" and have a "quality issue". They really don't, nor is it a functionality issue. It's only a visual characteristic seen after use ... that's all.

Examples of a quality issue:
1) Badly formed louvers.
2) Sharp burrs on the base plate holes that cut the ADBV.
3) Poorly machined and/or contaminated base plate threads.
4) Paint over spray on the base plate.
5) Leaf spring or ADBV installed backwards.
6) Excessive glue in an area that could break-off and go into the engine.
7) Bad crimp job on the can to base plate causing a leak.
8) Not enough glue between the base plate and base gasket plate causing a leak.
9) Bad media seam crimp job.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t run an OCI long enough to even make them wavy. Wasn’t it an Ultra that Wilson found holes in the media near the seam?
I think Wilson's case was pretty unique and most likely not a typical situation, and isolated to cartridge filters. I don't recall seeing any spin-ons that used that "pressed together" seam method. Could have even just been a bad manufacturing batch. Now that would be a "quality issue" ... but wavy pleats after use is not.

Last edited:
Technically, it's not really a "quality" issue, because it just boils down to "feelings" on how it should look in someone's mind. Going with that logic, every filter that doesn't have laser starlight pleats after use must be "cheap" and have a "quality issue". They really don't, nor is it a functionality issue. It's only a visual characteristic seen after use ... that's all.

Examples of a quality issue:
1) Badly formed louvers.
2) Sharp burrs on the base plate holes that cut the ADBV.
3) Poorly machined and/or contaminated base plate threads.
4) Paint over spray on the base plate.
5) Leaf spring or ADBV installed backwards.
6) Excessive glue in an area that could break-off and go into the engine.
7) Bad crimp job on the can to base plate causing a leak.
8) Not enough glue between the base plate and base gasket plate causing a leak.
9) Bad media seam crimp job.

No is a quality issue…

You can play and dance around all you want to…..

But it is….A quality issue.

The pre First Brands EG was better than the welfarized Ultra…

You would and rightfully talked about how bad Purolator filters m we’re with wavy filter media in them. You know better…

And wavy pleats because of too little filter media can in fact lead to….

Tearing…. Which has been documented on here many, many, many, many times…

But it is not a good thing.

At least the last few Fram Ultras cut and opened in here looked a fair amount better. Like a good amount better and they are improved quite a bit.

Maybe they are addressing that issue a bit to correct the issue / quality of that filter. I would tend to think now it is being addressed and that is a good way to go.

Last edited:
No is a quality issue…

You can play and dance around all you want to…..

But it is….A quality issue.

The pre First Brands EG was better than the welfarized Ultra…

You would and rightfully talked about how bad Purolator filters m we’re with wavy filter media in them. You know better…

And wavy pleats because of too little filter media can in fact lead to….

Tearing…. Which has been documented on here many, many, many, many times…
Gonna have to agree to disagree on wavy pleats being a "quality issue". If they start out straight, and then become wavy from use without tearing or causing any performance problem, then it's not really a "quality issue", It's purely a visual look issue. It's not a paint job on a $85K vehicle where the looks of the paint directly correlates to the quality of the paint job, lol.

If pleats were very widely spaced, and the media folded over and tore, then it would be a quality issue because it was manufactured with poor quality due to the wide pleat spacing. You can bet the engineering design drawing does not call out wide pleat spacing - if so, then it's a bad design issue.

So if the factory manufacturing guys can't meet the design drawing, then that would be bad manufacturing quaity. Same goes with louvers - if the factory can't form the louvers per the design drawing, then that's obviously poor manufacturing quality.

I talked a lot about wide pleat spacing on Purolators, not weavy pleats. Two separate things. Widely spaced pleats that are straight can still tear, they don't need to be wavy to tear, they just need to bend over too far to the point where the media can't take the stress. We've seem badly bent over pleats that don't tear and many that do tear, and we've seen many filter brands with wavy pleats without any media tears. That's because tearing media also depends a lot on the flexibility and bitterness factor of the media itself, which is more of a design issue of the media. It could be considered bad quality of material if the design or manufacturing of the media didn't meet the design targets for the media, and that caused an issue like tearing too easily. But wavy pleats after use without any media tearing isn't a quality issue, its simply a visual characteristic of the media from use. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it. ;) :)

Last edited:
I have used STP cartridge filters in my Porsche Cayman in the past and cut them open with no surprises. Fast forward a few years and a newer Cayman and I’m having trouble finding any filters “in stock” at various stores. I paid $35 for a NAPA one last oil change. Ouch. I just bought an STP XL cartridge at AutoZone for $11.99 (Northern NY state). After research here, I was curious about where it was made. Korea. I will use it, cut it open and report if anything looks fishy.
Can anyone tell me the filter media material in this Korean made Extended Life S11008XL? Thanks in advance, C

Gonna have to agree to disagree on wavy pleats being a "quality issue". If they start out straight, and then become wavy from use without tearing or causing any performance problem, then it's not really a "quality issue", It's purely a visual look issue. It's not a paint job on a $85K vehicle where the looks of the paint directly correlates to the quality of the paint job, lol.

If pleats were very widely spaced, and the media folded over and tore, then it would be a quality issue because it was manufactured with poor quality due to the wide pleat spacing. You can bet the engineering design drawing does not call out wide pleat spacing - if so, then it's a bad design issue.

So if the factory manufacturing guys can't meet the design drawing, then that would be bad manufacturing quaity. Same goes with louvers - if the factory can't form the louvers per the design drawing, then that's obviously poor manufacturing quality.

I talked a lot about wide pleat spacing on Purolators, not weavy pleats. Two separate things. Widely spaced pleats that are straight can still tear, they don't need to be wavy to tear, they just need to bend over too far to the point where the media can't take the stress. We've seem badly bent over pleats that don't tear and many that do tear, and we've seen many filter brands with wavy pleats without any media tears. That's because tearing media also depends a lot on the flexibility and bitterness factor of the media itself, which is more of a design issue of the media. It could be considered bad quality of material if the design or manufacturing of the media didn't meet the design targets for the media, and that caused an issue like tearing too easily. But wavy pleats after use without any media tearing isn't a quality issue, its simply a visual characteristic of the media from use. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it. ;) :)

You make excuses for First Brands obvious drop in quality in what they have done…

The latest cut and open filters have been looking better… Maybe just maybe they are at least fixing the issue. It does appear that way.

You and I just fundamentally disagree…

The sun came up today too…

Ohh well.. That happens.

I'm not big on these. They seem to source them from wherever they can. If you look at different numbers they are clearly built by different manufactures. Some of them are Champ built, I'm not sure what this one is. I just find it hard to believe that they can make a blanket spec for the line when they are purchasing them from more than one vendor and don't have any quality control over it. This is a 5.7 hemi filter. Doesn't look very awesome to me. I also added a Parts Plus/microgaurd/etc to compare.

View attachment 200791

View attachment 200792

View attachment 200793

View attachment 200794

View attachment 200795

View attachment 200799

View attachment 200800

View attachment 200802
A spec is a spec no matter where an item is made. But with that, I do understand your concerns.

You make excuses for First Brands obvious drop in quality in what they have done…

The latest cut and open filters have been looking better… Maybe just maybe they are at least fixing the issue. It does appear that way.

You and I just fundamentally disagree…

The sun came up today too…

Ohh well.. That happens.
Nah, not making "excuses". I'm just way more objective about it and don't let feelings get in they way. The way filter media "looks" after use is purely subjective if it doesn't cause any issue besides how it looks. Everyone can use whatever "criteria of quality" they deem necessary to chose a product, but slighty wavy pleats isn't a big factor for me. I've seen some wavy pleats in other filters I've used and cut open, but it didn't make me go off and look for a different filter because I choose performance over looks as a main criteria.

Bent over pleats that could lead to media tearing or media actually tearing (or blowing through an eCore center tube) obviously would be concerning and a design and/or manufacturing quality issue. Poorly formed louvers is also an obvious quality issue, as mentioned before, and something I look at closely before using a filter with louvers.

Johnny248: I prefer the Parts Plus XL filter you posted for the larger holes and no slits like the STP filter. But Parts Plus stores have become few and far between in the Southeast.

Parts Plus are Premium Guard built : https://myautoparts.partsplus.com/catalog-2/search?multikeyword=PH2876EX&searchmode=strict

you can also get them here: Rock Auto Parts Plus Premium Guard

Also look at Premium Guard built Microgard Select if you want to give Oreilly a few dollar tip and pay $11 or Carquest Premium if you want to pay $7.80

Back