is Mobil 1 a group 4, true synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
sadly such a Thread that has a genuine question as its base turns into a "this oil is better than that oil" and etc.

It is sad because this type of Thread "deterioration" has started to destroy the credibilty of BITOG - in my opinion at least!

I could be wrong, but i believe 90% of people here do debate which is the better oil(or there would be practically nobody here) either directly or indirectly and as far as the op's question goes, it cant be answered 100% because M1 uses group 3 and has a lot to hide.Thats why i changed to redline because their a lot more honest than Mobil 1 by far and because their quality is superb.

BTW, did i mention Redline's the best..jk

Originally Posted By: 7777

I could be wrong, but i believe 90% of people here do debate which is the better oil(or there would be practically nobody here) either directly or indirectly and as far as the op's question goes, it cant be answered 100% because M1 uses group 3 and has a lot to hide.Thats why i changed to redline because their a lot more honest than Mobil 1 by far and because their quality is superb.

33.gif

Originally Posted By: elwaylite
I dont think it's [censored], and I think Dollar general, or wal-mart brands are all equal to a long engine life, but if we are gonna use CHEAPER components, drop the price.

Thats all Im sayin, and why Im curious as to what Group it is.

^^^What???^^^

Hi,
sadly such a Thread that has a genuine question as its base turns into a "this oil is better than that oil" and etc.

It is sad because this type of Thread "deterioration" has started to destroy the credibilty of BITOG - in my opinion at least!

Even though I only use M1 oils I've never said they are the best, but they are amoung um. Unlike you I also don't critize other oils. Ams, PP, RL, RP, and M1 are all very good products. I really doubt if you have ever used an oil for any real length of time. That's the only way to evaluate an oil. M1 will keep an engine running great as long as your favorite flavor of the month. I know that because I've been doing it for 3 decades.

Use Redline, no speculation here,Its a group 5 and its the real deal and costs 1 dollar more! Its a no brainer!!

This is what i use..
20.gif
55.gif
20.gif

img1024ql.jpg

Um, actually I've seen speculation that its a Group IV (mostly) & V blend unless you're using the racing stuff...

As I've said before if you think an oil co. will fill you in on their formulations,wink wink, you of all people are most deceived.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Hi,

Even though I only use M1 oils I've never said they are the best, but they are amoung um. Unlike you I also don't critize other oils. Ams, PP, RL, RP, and M1 are all very good products. I really doubt if you have ever used an oil for any real length of time. That's the only way to evaluate an oil. M1 will keep an engine running great as long as your favorite flavor of the month. I know that because I've been doing it for 3 decades.

I think you forgot to take your medication, lol cause your just ramblin..How do you know how old i am and how long Ive been using any oil for a long period of time, you don't have a clue buddy
31.gif
,Ive been changing and using the same oil for 12 years and other oils for 25 years, so i guess you assumed/guessed wrong and i don't care if you used m1 for a 100 years,cause its not the same oil it use to be and is not worth the money(my opinion),lol..Please do yourself a favor and get some rest.

BTW, Try reading more closely next time, JK means joke.. "did i mention Redline's the best..jk"

Hi,

I think you forgot to take your medication, lol cause your just ramblin..How do you know how old i am and how long Ive been using any oil for a long period of time, you don't have a clue buddy
31.gif
,Ive been changing and using the same oil for 12 years and other oils for 25 years, so i guess you assumed/guessed wrong and i don't care if you used m1 for a 100 years,cause its not the same oil it use to be and is not worth the money(my opinion),lol..Please do yourself a favor and get some rest.

BTW, Try reading more closely next time, JK means joke.. "did i mention Redline's the best..jk"

You are just guessing that its not the same oil. You have no concrete evidence, nobody does. That's part of the frustration for some of you guys that just "have to know".

Four 7s, you don't take critism very well. You continue to drop the critism bomb on M1 oils all the time as if M1 was swill or something. Yes M1 ,RL, Ams are all good lubes. Just give credit where credit is do.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: StevieC
27.gif

StevieC you crack me up!

Who me?
45.gif

lol.gif

lol.gif
crackmeup2.gif

No matter how good a product you make, you will always get critisized. Fact of life. No matter what it is, I can find 10 guys who love product X and you can rest assure there will be those who hate it.

Four 7s, you don't take critism very well. You continue to drop the critism bomb on M1 oils all the time as if M1 was swill or something. Yes M1 ,RL, Ams are all good lubes. Just give credit where credit is do.

If i didn't think m1 was good oil, i wouldn't of used it for 10 or so years.I just don't think its worth the money at this point.Telling me how long Ive used oil or how old i am is just ludicrous,lol,i mean you have a crystal ball or something ?
54.gif

Quick story, just before i switched to M1 EP 5-30,i was using regular 5-30 syn before EP came out and my truck was starting to make engine noise,from what i understand m1 changed the formula and made the old m1 to to the 5-30 EP and everything was good again . I'm not the only one who experienced this, many at the ford forums did too,thats when i started to
get that bad taste in my mouth,but i continued to use the M1 ep up until this year when i sold my truck.

I offer the following facts.

Bearings are lead based, so when they disintegrate, lead will come out. I do not know where does the Iron come out from, or how important it is.
Bearings will be Toast (or Jam) at around 250 F, so if you have 400 F oil it will not do you any good.

Yes, synthetics have better additive package, you will start better under a thin film, I know, I started my Mobil-1 Pontiac Montana without oil, ran for 16 seconds before I found I did not fill oil after oil change. There are no oil lights now. That was about 70K miles ago, I can not perceive any difference in the engine.

That is why I am sticking with Mobil-1. GC and PP are also just as good.

Thanks for your history with M1. Unlike your Ford problem I've not had any problems with any M1 for as long as I have used it. Most of my family uses M1 along with several co workers I used to work with. The most recent M1 oils, last 10 years, has been as good or better than any of their products I've ever used.
As for engine noise even Ams gets that rap from time to time. I don't understand the noise thing because I've never heard it in all the M1 engines around family and many friends.
Must be the way the stars line up or something.

Originally Posted By: Avinash
I offer the following facts.

Bearings are lead based, so when they disintegrate, lead will come out. I do not know where does the Iron come out from, or how important it is.
Bearings will be Toast (or Jam) at around 250 F, so if you have 400 F oil it will not do you any good.

Yes, synthetics have better additive package, you will start better under a thin film, I know, I started my Mobil-1 Pontiac Montana without oil, ran for 16 seconds before I found I did not fill oil after oil change. There are no oil lights now. That was about 70K miles ago, I can not perceive any difference in the engine.

That is why I am sticking with Mobil-1. GC and PP are also just as good.

I think babbit bearings are good up to 475F. I used to make bearings for odd pumps and such.

Thanks for your history with M1. Unlike your Ford problem I've not had any problems with any M1 for as long as I have used it. Most of my family uses M1 along with several co workers I used to work with. The most recent M1 oils, last 10 years, has been as good or better than any of their products I've ever used.
As for engine noise even Ams gets that rap from time to time. I don't understand the noise thing because I've never heard it in all the M1 engines around family and many friends.
Must be the way the stars line up or something.

No , the regular 5-30 syn was the noise maker lol,not the EP. The ep is what the old 5-30 use to be, but with a little more robust add package.They shifted their formula for marketing purposes,so you can pay more.

Anyway i see you use the EP version, why not the standard 5-30 syn ,your OCI is every 10-15k?

BTW, I know 20 or so people who had that noise issue with their vehicles and was cured with the switch to M1 EP at that time , so obviously it wasn't my imagination, or my truck.
Honestly, id use a Dino oil over the regular M1 5-30 syn any day.
55.gif

News Flash! I think my PP 5-20 is done at 5.5 months and 4,000 miles. Mileage drop and used 2 ounces in the last 750 miles. M1 EP went 10 months and 5300 miles before this happened. I liked the PP but maybe I'll retry EP. PP and EP feel smoother than regular M1 syn in my 02 V6 Accord.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back