is Mobil 1 a group 4, true synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: elwaylite
Terry just put up some good info on EDGE.

I'm on my way over there now to see... Thanks!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: CompSyn
Alright, so because Red Line's marketing says stuff like this "Red Line lubricants are unique because they contain PE Polyol Ester base stocks", this means they are 100% group 5?

There's a rather large percentage of PAOs in there along with the PE.

CompSyn, Redline has never claimed that their products are 100% Group V.
Quote from Dave at Redline:
Thank you for contacting Red Line Oil, our primary base stock is the Group V polyol ester though we do use some PAOs.

Regards, Dave
Red Line Oil

Another quote from Dave:
"None of our products contain Group III hydro treated petroleum stocks, all are full synthetics."

All other things being equal, an oil blend of majority POE with the remainder being PAO would certainly command a higher price than a blend of majority PAO with the remainder being Group III.

IMO, the price premium Mobil 1 commands versus PP supports their enormous marketing and advertising effort. However, this does not in any way imply that Mobil 1 is not a decent oil.

No one will know exact %'s of any base oil. Period. You may know what base oils they use, but that's it.

We know Mobil uses "high performance synthetic base oils" in their Mobil 1 line. These include Group III+, PAO, POE and AN's. Most Mobil 1 oils appear to be anywhere from 40%-70% PAO, depending on the grade. This was based off of some Korean MSDS from last year. Can't remember who posted it.

Another thing to look at is NOACK volatility. Most M1 grades are
With supply disruptions last year, and with OEM specs becoming more demanding, it's likely Mobil 1 will always use their best base oils, which may include some Group III's(price).

So then if Amsoil charges slightly more than M1 for their oils and you get a better formulation or so it would seem on the UOA/VOA's then it must be a substantially better product that M1 because they don't market their product but rely on jobbers and word of mouth rather than big fancy (super expensive to produce) commercials.

I think Amsoil is a tad steep too, on the XL line, but I have a better feeling about what Im paying for.
Probably because of the API "bend the company over" licensing fees.

I think the comment about the users, us, paying for Mobils ad campaign hit the nail on the head.

+1, Exactly
cheers3.gif

Lets put it this way (hypothetically for all those here)If i was to give you a lifetime of oil for free and you had to choose from Redline or mobile 1,Which would you choose ??

My math tells me Mobil 1 is significantly less than Amsoil. $4.40 A quart for Mobil 1. And where does this idea it costs to much come from? Platinum is $20/5 quart at Wal Mart, Mobil 1 is $22/5 quart. Im not seeing it. 2 bucks folks not 20.

Originally Posted By: HARTZSKY
My math tells me Mobil 1 is significantly less than Amsoil. $4.40 A quart for Mobil 1. And where does this idea it costs to much come from? Platinum is $20/5 quart at Wal Mart, Mobil 1 is $22/5 quart. Im not seeing it. 2 bucks folks not 20.
Double that up here for M1!
shocked2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back