Oil consumption cut in half after 'solvent' flush?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not suprized about your Toyota dealer. They have been snake bitten with some motor designs over the years. But the dealer is performing the quicky prevention of running a solvent flush through. It is likely free. Don't know what the long term effect of solvent flushes in the yearly frequency.

The better approach would be to be cleaned up with an ARX cleaning and rinse, followed by the maintenance dose. Every UOA that I have seen shows lower wear metals, in cleaning phases, rinse phases, and in maintenance dose extended drains.

It is funny all the ARX people (mods) are ant-solvant here. What is the next road to throw in ARX? ARX works and so do solvants here...

Why is Toyota not buying Arx here? Hmmm

ARX is good product no question, in West Australia it is not widely advertised and unless you are a BITOG member probably you do even know it exists, that's why Toyota here is probably not using it.

In the absence of ARX's availability worldwide OTC, there are other alternatives. This thread was to celebrate a members success using another product, NOT ARX again.

Perhaps it was a combination of both ARX and solvent flush.

Bruce381 (I am sure he knows what he is talking about) indicated that the use of aromatic solvents also had success years ago.

Why Toyota is not buying the products in the USA / CANADA is a good question, I think the USA BITOG ARX promoters should answer. Why ARX is not the preferred engine flush (regardless of its higher cost) with the USA automotive repair industry ?

If ARX was manfactured in Bulk Wouldwide, this would have to help bring the price down. We have had it drummed into us that the only approved way on BITOG to clean your engine safely, is to use ARX.

Whether the solvent flush is free or not, if the dealer is prepared to use it for my engine oil flush for 3 years under warranty, indicates the solvent flush is acceptable, its works in my opinion. Although and I must stress,it may not be the ultimate BITOG preferred, ideal solution.

Last edited:
Quote:
Why Toyota is not buying the products in the USA / CANADA is a good question, I think the USA BITOG ARX promoters should answer. Why ARX is not the preferred engine flush (regardless of its higher cost) with the USA automotive repair industry ?

Simple. It's a niche product that's only been around a relatively short time and is in the hands of a very small company. It also has some challenges for acceptance due to the span of use in terms of realized results.

There's also the likelihood that the condition can be remedied in a cheaper manner and move the problem to a beyond warranty state without loss to the company.

GM coped with their leaking intake manifold gaskets with a ginger root product to plug the gaps. Why weren't they buying FelPro wizbanger gaskets and installing them? It was a better and more permanent fix
21.gif

As far as the repair industry ..most don't really know that there's a problem to fix ..so to speak. They can't always rely on return business either. Auto-Rx requires a follow up past the point of initial sale. Meanwhile, the quick lube wants to sell you a $2/quart of kero for $9.95 since they aren't geared to return business ..otherwise they wouldn't get every dime that they could NOW.

There's a more than a few market challenges for this product. I think that it's both ahead and behind its time. We had a glorious hiatus from most (apparent) lubrication issues from the introduction of unleaded fuels until the more recent evolutions in sludge monsters.

Originally Posted By: dargo
It is funny all the ARX people (mods) are ant-solvant here. What is the next road to throw in ARX? ARX works and so do solvants here...

Why is Toyota not buying Arx here? Hmmm

Haven't seen much "mod" activity in this thread....

Dargo, Frank has good reasons to be anti-solvent. Suggest you read through a few threads to figure things out.

Dargo how do you know Toyota has not purchased Auto-Rx ? do you work for a certain dealership in western USA ? or just trying to make something out of nothing.

I know solvents as does Rick 20 (he invented MTX which is the best long chain chlorinated solvent ever made) I did the field testing.
Solvents are poison, they will eventually take your life. Where do you think the hydrocarbons go from your exhaust ?

Auto-Rx omits good hydrocarbons, plus it cleans better than any other product.

Read the post above from a Federal Agency.

Last edited:
I agree with Gary. The delaerships must provide some level of immediate gradification using the quicky flush. By the same token I think they are short sighted and offer a lesser alternative. If they were to offer ARX they would be almost guaranteeing that the customer would be back for at least two oil changes on time, ala clean phase and rinse. Then they would have the oportunety to sell a maintenance dose with each oil change for the future. Personally I think the quick change oil places are missing the boat as well.

It is apparent lately that at least the oil companies are trying to address contamination and deposits. Castrol and Pennsoil have very active marketing campaigns to squelch deposit and sludge issues. Perhaps they have made some gains on prevention, but I don't believe that they would be considered effective against already present deposits.

DING DING, we have a winner...LOL..No clue and ask the ARX people this. This is the #1 issue they push.

I think ARX is an good/avg product (since VERY small market) but the posts their mods and inventor make really bring the product down...Having angry/rude PM's/posts, posts that are hard to understand (or get), flat-out strange and posts that are unclear, well I do not get it. Either be clear and correct or do not post.

DING DING, we have a winner...LOL..No clue and ask the ARX people this. This is the #1 issue they push.

I think ARX is an good/avg product (since VERY small market) but the posts their mods and inventor make really bring the product down...Having angry/rude PM's/posts, posts that are hard to understand (or get), flat-out strange and posts that are unclear, well I do not get it. Either be clear and correct or do not post.

Physician, heal thyself.

Originally Posted By: Frank
Dargo how do you know Toyota has not purchased Auto-Rx ? do you work for a certain dealership in western USA ? or just trying to make something out of nothing.

I know solvents as does Rick 20 (he invented MTX which is the best long chain chlorinated solvent ever made) I did the field testing.
Solvents are poison, they will eventually take your life. Where do you think the hydrocarbons go from your exhaust ?

Auto-Rx omits good hydrocarbons, plus it cleans better than any other product.

Read the post above from a Federal Agency.

I just know Toyota/Lexus did not buy ARX. But even by reading Rick20 posts, you can tell Toyota does not buy it. Please read and repost.

Saying something is the "best long chain chlorinated solvent ever made" is well incorrect. Why is it the best, what makes it "the best" you need to state all the facts.
Saying "Solvents are poison" is crazy. Water is a solvant here so I should not drink it! LOL E85 is Ethanol and a solvant so now that is bad too? Frank you need to rethink your posts here. Again some posts here are crazy and odd...to say the least. If I was the PR manager, I would not have this person posting...

This agree with. Auto-RX may be the best but the posts on here really make me question using it. Makes me feel like it is being shoved down my throat and that nothing else works. I therefore doubt it's validity.

Being modest and understanding that there are other products that work will get this product much further. Promote what makes this product better/different. Don't say that everything else is [censored]/poison which means this has to be the best.

My .02...

Originally Posted By: cosynthetics
Why did this turn into a solvent vs auto-rx thread?

It seems to me that all non-AutoRX threads turn into a solvent vs auto-rx threads...
02.gif

Realistically, this is a forum about oil additives. Auto-RX is an oil additive so discussing it and it's results here is fine. However, STP, Seafoam, engine flushes, and other additives should be allowed to continue without name calling, finger pointing, or outright hand-to-hand combat
09.gif
07.gif
06.gif
24.gif
23.gif
28.gif

After all, can't we just all get along and have a beer?
10.gif

I think the statement was that the dealership put the additive and the solvent in the customers car, not the manufacturer. If you ask someone at Toyota that is not a help desk script reader you will find out that they probably don't recommend any additives.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Craftsman
Why did this turn into a solvent vs auto-rx thread?

It seems to me that all non-AutoRX threads turn into a solvent vs auto-rx threads...
02.gif

Realistically, this is a forum about oil additives. Auto-RX is an oil additive so discussing it and it's results here is fine. However, STP, Seafoam, engine flushes, and other additives should be allowed to continue without name calling, finger pointing, or outright hand-to-hand combat
09.gif
07.gif
06.gif
24.gif
23.gif
28.gif

After all, can't we just all get along and have a beer?
10.gif

+12353246234512

Being modest and understanding that there are other products that work will get this product much further. Promote what makes this product better/different. Don't say that everything else is [censored]/poison which means this has to be the best.

My .02...

Frank and those who understand shout this from the rooftops and every proclaims he's posting commercials. There's literally a ton of data on here in the archives posted over the last 6 years. showing how auto-rx works. Frank does feel strongly that many of the solvents out there are poison and harmful both to your engine and your health. Can't blame him from pushing that aspect after a lifetime of working with aromatic solvents. The product is effective and it's safe. There's nothing to dispute about this-whether you think Frank is Charlie Manson or Mr. Rodgers.

Do you disagree that there's years of data showing that solvents work too?

I'm not saying that Auto-RX doesn't work. I'm just not understanding why any time someone posts something good about a product other than ARX they get bashed.

No, I don't disagree. But, at the same time, I think people are fooled by what they see stand-alone solvent do verses solvent diluted in several quarts of oil. And when you get enough in there to do anything significant, you place yourself at risk for engine damage if not careful. They aren't cut and dry, dump in and forget products.

I agree that full strength anything will always be stronger than when it is diluted.

I've seen years and years of posts on the diesel forums about seafoam and how well it works. If we use the same logic about accepting anecdotal posts then we must give seafoam the same respect. It's been in wide use since the old 6.9l guys poured it in the intake with a telephone book in the other hand.

Lots of things work and we all have our favorites. I just don't think we should go around bashing products.

Thanks for all your input Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back