Oil consumption cut in half after 'solvent' flush?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: glennc
I would think as others have mentioned that the solvents would quickly vaporize in use and there would be little or nothing left after the first couple of drives on the replacement oil.

Not to be argumentative here now
55.gif
, but aren't solvents, as great as they are BOY HOWDY
34.gif
, composed of volatiles that oil refiners and blender type people, purposely remove from motor oil?

I am honestly and sincerely asking if this is so, because I think, don't really know now mind you, that tar like deposits are formed and left behind when such aromatics and volatiles evaporate away. Please clue me about this, and straighten me out boys.

Different type of solvent.

Seems some of you are forgetting a couple things. 1) You don't actually drive the car with the flush in it. The engine is never loaded. Oil is just circulating (and the process is started with a new filter.) The engine does indeed get up to temp in 20 minutes of idle - already driving some of the solvent off. 2) Always, always allow for a long drain after the solvent flush. This assures the oil is well drained obviously, but also allows with a hot OPEN system almost all the solvent evaporates. There is no way 2.5% of the oil is solvent after re-filling at this point. Probably closer to 1%. Within a few miles of driving it's essentially zero, next oil change there is no solvent left.

I just can't see tiny doses making that much difference. I mean, if you take an engine that's already hot, run 15 mins of flush in it and nothing happens, what would smaller doses do? I'm not saying this to be argumentative, just thinking based on past experience. I mean, even with arx, the maint dose is something you do after your engine is "clean." I know it's apples to oranges, but don't you want as much chemical as possible attacking the problem.

Along this vein, I really thought LC20 would be the type of product that would be the answer. It's lubricious and it's a bit of a solvent. Perhaps I didn't stick with it long enough but it didn't do much for me. I know it's main purpose is as an anti-oxidant so I can't fault it.

I know some people have said biodiesel is the answer, but we've never really had anyone demonstrate that on here. Any takers?

Originally Posted By: va3ux
Originally Posted By: BrianWC
Isn't "Stoddard Solvent" the main ingredient in MMO?

Don't know about MMO Brian, but Stoddard Solvent is the main ingredient is quite a few other additives. I believe many of the fuel injector cleaner additives use Stoddard solvent.

Oops, missed this post. Hmmmm, that really would interesting if Stoddard solvent made a bid difference. I looked up the MMO msds and it's in there. I can honestly say in my experience MMO is fairly weak compared to SeaFoam and Berryman Chemtool. Must be something else in there...or the percentage of Stoddard solvent is different...

Here's a wikipedia link to Stoddard solvent. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_spirit

Question for the chemists. We see all these aromatics and assume cleaning ability. Can anyone rank aromatics and the other various petroleum-based solvent chemicals on which ones should "theoretically" be able to clean better than others? Or are they all relatively the same and the only differences are in how they are being diluted in their final formulations?

Perhaps we should also consider the Two Stroke engine, If you consider Gasoline to be a solvent (and why not) here you have the 'solvent' as a carrier for a very small amount of oil!

Speaking of gasoline as a solvent -

During an A-RX clean phase I had a fuel regulator go bad. It was a vaccum operated regulator, so when the diaphragm broke, the fuel pump forced fuel through the vacuum line into the engine.

In the process of diagnosing the problem, a LOT of raw fuel was pumped into the cylinders and drained into the oil, to the point that when it was finally running again it was generating huge clouds of oilly exhaust. Cutting open the filter showed significant deposits, as much or more as I have seen in anyone else's A-RX pictures. This engine did not have performance problems or history of abuse, just mileage of 135K.

I cut the filter open again after the rinse phase, and saw almost no deposits. Given that, I have to think that the gasoline had some synergistic effect with the A-RX.

Last edited:
""I cut the filter open again after the rinse phase, and saw almost no deposits. Given that, I have to think that the gasoline had some synergistic effect with the A-RX.""

If a good amount of gas >5% I'd say the gas did the cleaning not the RX
bruce

Hey, I might start selling a new cleaning product, I'll call it Gas-o-clean! I could claim "it's the same formula used by the Federal Govt and U.S. Military for years" and is now available for the first time in handy 500 ml bottles for $20 a pop. :)

Originally Posted By: Spitty
Hey, I might start selling a new cleaning product, I'll call it Gas-o-clean! I could claim "it's the same formula used by the Federal Govt and U.S. Military for years" and is now available for the first time in handy 500 ml bottles for $20 a pop. :)

Now now. Let's be fair out there.

Gasoline has been known to be a strong cleaner for years. You can't really patent that. Of course, NASA might buy it for $200 a bottle since they get $300 hammers....

If gas and oil were such a great cleaner, why do I need to decarbon my 2 stoke outboard yearly?

On another note, I thought that gasoline in the oil from blowby was a precursor to deposit formation and oil gelling type deposits.

Originally Posted By: Rick20
If gas and oil were such a great cleaner, why do I need to decarbon my 2 stoke outboard yearly?

It's the oil in the combustion chamber that causes so much carbon in those engines.
Quote:
On another note, I thought that gasoline in the oil from blowby was a precursor to deposit formation and oil gelling type deposits.

I believe that's true.

7k miles on this run of Amsoil TSO. 44 oz of makeup oil. Just a bit over 6 oz/1K miles.

Last year with the same oil (from the same case): nearly 64 oz of makeup oil in 4800 miles, or approximately 13 oz/1K miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back