Amsoil Engine Flush. Procedure, Filter Observations and future UOAs.

Thanks. I will go to HPL EC route. Is Premium Blue Restore still a thing? Could I use that? Or continue to use my favorite oils? (M1 EP, PUP) . Thanks again for the info
PBR is probably still available somewhere; it has been reformulated though and I don’t think we’ve seen the replacement yet. But the biggest issue there (if you’re concerned about it) is that it was only ever a diesel-rated oil; it never carried any gasoline certs. I’s also more expensive than HPL EC or oil (PBR was $70+/gal, HPL is $70/6qts) and you’ll only likely ever find PBR at a Cummins service shop, when HPL will be at your door in 2 days.

I’m certainly not downplaying PBR; it was obviously a very powerful combination, but it’s way closer to most peoples’ ideas of what a boutique oil is: hard to get and REALLY expensive. HPL gives you all of the pluses and really only one of the minuses (it costs about double what WM shelf-stock runs). Toss in the fact that HPL is a board sponsor; has had several public open houses; gives members a 15% discount and $25 flat-rate shipping; and frequents the board with open, honest, and fair input on multiple topics… the winner becomes pretty clear (at least to me). @wwillson and @OVERKILL also have threads with pics on the incredible cleaning power of HPL’s AN/ester combination, and @RDY4WAR has done some deep-dives on the how’s and why’s of HPL performance. 👍🏻

PBR is probably still available somewhere; it has been reformulated though and I don’t think we’ve seen the replacement yet. But the biggest issue there (if you’re concerned about it) is that it was only ever a diesel-rated oil; it never carried any gasoline certs. I’s also more expensive than HPL EC or oil (PBR was $70+/gal, HPL is $70/6qts) and you’ll only likely ever find PBR at a Cummins service shop, when HPL will be at your door in 2 days.

I’m certainly not downplaying PBR; it was obviously a very powerful combination, but it’s way closer to most peoples’ ideas of what a boutique oil is: hard to get and REALLY expensive. HPL gives you all of the pluses and really only one of the minuses (it costs about double what WM shelf-stock runs). Toss in the fact that HPL is a board sponsor; has had several public open houses; gives members a 15% discount and $25 flat-rate shipping; and frequents the board with open, honest, and fair input on multiple topics… the winner becomes pretty clear (at least to me). @wwillson and @OVERKILL also have threads with pics on the incredible cleaning power of HPL’s AN/ester combination, and @RDY4WAR has done some deep-dives on the how’s and why’s of HPL performance. 👍🏻
Now that know what to search for will check it out. Thanks again!

UOAs are back! Below is the complete UOA history for this Prius. The first UOA was scary, but the car was running well, I didn’t panic and the crazy high copper and lead numbers started to come down. Eventually switching to Mobil 1 HM 10w40 reduced oil consumption and wear numbers. (You can see a 17cSt in the viscosity history, due to an unspeakable 5-letter additive 😉 )

UOAs 7 thru 4:

UOAs 3 thru 1:

The car is currently filled with Mobil 1 HM 10w40 and the oil filter is Fram Ultra Mega. I’ll UOA test again in around 4,000 miles.

I've done the same with a different product and posted results here a few years ago. I saw no real difference between pre- and post- flush samples beyond the slight drop in viscosity from the flush itself. Will be interested of course in your results.
My results were basically identical to yours. I’ve done 7 UOAs on this car and I shared them all in my last post.

Yes but which are the pre/post flush?
All are listed chronologically, so the one labeled Amsoil (meaning contains Amsoil Engine Flush) is the post-flush UOA. The pre-flush is the UOA to the right of it.
IMG_0693.jpeg

Ok now I see it thank you. Yep...like mine...just down on viscosity is all.

Back